Peeing On Bed

cris_tina216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am new here, and I could really use some advice (please bear with me, it's a long story). We have a 7 month old male cat, Odin, which we adopted 4 months ago. About a month ago, we noticed that he started licking his genital area excessively, with his penis sticking out. We took him to the vet, and he was examined (the ultrasound showed no problems internally) and got antibiotics and an e-collar to wear, in order to stop the licking, because it had caused some wounds (dried up blood was visible in the area). The vet said that either Odin had some kind of an urinary infection, or something else bothered him down there which had caused the licking. All this time, Odin kept using the litter box normally. He was very unhappy while wearing the collar, he didn't eat or play as much as before.

After 2 weeks the vet did a checkup and everything was fine so the collar came off. About 2 or 3 days later I caught him peeing on clean towels. Atfter my initial shock, I took him to the litter box (too late) and washed all the towels. After a couple more days, the same thing happened, only this time he had peed on my clean clothes. Our dressing room had not been ready yet (we have been living here for 2 months before adopting Odin), so he had access to all of our clothes which were in boxes. I washed everything again, and 2 days later we received our furniture and I put away all the clothes, so he couldn't pee on them anymore.

In the meantime he kept using the litterbox also, so I couldn't understand what could cause this. I thought maybe the litter was not clean enough, so I added some odour management product (similar to baking soda) which might have been a mistake. Since then he peed twice on our bed (and tried one more time, but I managed to stop him) and I am a little bit desperate because I don't know what to do.

Last night, before going to bed (he sleeps in the bed with us) we were downstairs and he was right next to the litter box but didn't use it. When we went to the bedroom, he jumped on the bed and immediately started peeing, so I took him to the litterbox, and he didn't continue to pee there. We didn't allow him back into the bedroom and in the morning I saw no signs that he had used the litterbox at all. So I got his old litterbox out (a smaller one) and filled it with clean litter (we use Silicate) and he peed in it twice in 10 minutes!

We also noticed that he meows a lot (more than before) but this might be unrelated. I always scoop the litterbox and wash it every 2 weeks. From what I read in the last few days, it's possible he doesn't like the litter (maybe we should change it to a clumping clay type) or he might have a problem with the litter box itself (although he poops in it without any issues).

Also another cause could be anxiety or sterss..my husband is away on business trips a lot (about 2 weeks a month), but Odin's problems started only when he started licking himself. I also read that new furniture could stress the cat, but as I said, he peed on clothes twice before that. I should also mention that he is not neutered yet, the doctor said that we should not do it before Odin's first birthday because of the risks. I am really lost here and I don't know what to do next. Any advice would help a lot, as we are new to cat-parenting.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not that unusual for a sick, stressed or very young cat to pee on comforters, towels, bathmats or laundry. You have to fix the underlying issue, BUT once they start, it becomes a habit that can keep going after the underlying cause is gone. To break the habit you ideally deprive them of access to the targets of the habit until the habit is gone.

Also, use an enzyme cleaner so the smell is truly gone.

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try plugging in some feliway
also I give my boys a few treats on my bed/sofa every once and a while to remind them that those are fun food areas not bathrooms (cats don't like to go where they eat)
I would also maybe look into getting him fixed sooner rather than later-it might help

uhmkyrstin

Mama to a Purrfect Kitten
Young Cat
Purraise
do you only have one box? i would add another if so. for every cat you should try to have two boxes available but more is even better. also if he is using his old box and not his new one it could be a smell thing. cats can still smell themselves where you can’t so he might just be comfortably where he smells himself more- the old box. this was an issue i had with one of my fosters. she would only use a particular box and when she got too big for it and i switched it out, she would pee NEXT to it on a blanket that i kept under the box to catch stray litter. so i let her potty in the old one and then mixed the dirty litter with clean litter in the new box for a few hours to let the smell mix. i cleaned the clumps then but left the dirty litter itself for two days. she never peed outside the box again.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did something happen that could have upset him? When I got a dog my cat's immediate response was to pee on my bed. Every. Single. Morning. I taped together puppy pads and had a full puppy pad blanket going on over my bed. The solution for me was to switch blankets oddly enough. Any time I used the blanket that had been on my bed the day I brought the dog home she would pee on it. Switch blankets, she wouldn't pee on it. Needless to say, I don't have that blanket anymore, which sucks because it was one of my favorites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cris_tina216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
do you only have one box? i would add another if so. for every cat you should try to have two boxes available but more is even better. also if he is using his old box and not his new one it could be a smell thing. cats can still smell themselves where you can’t so he might just be comfortably where he smells himself more- the old box. this was an issue i had with one of my fosters. she would only use a particular box and when she got too big for it and i switched it out, she would pee NEXT to it on a blanket that i kept under the box to catch stray litter. so i let her potty in the old one and then mixed the dirty litter with clean litter in the new box for a few hours to let the smell mix. i cleaned the clumps then but left the dirty litter itself for two days. she never peed outside the box again.
yes, we had one box, but we just added another one upstairs. Is it possible that the cat doesn't go downstairs to pee as long as we are upstairs? These accidents only happen upstairs. This morning he was upstairs and we were getting ready for work, and he was meowing a lot (he knows that when we go downstairs he gets food) and he went into a room in which we keep some boxes with books in them and started peeing on one. I really don't think he doesn't like the litter box and / or litter because every day he uses it also.

cris_tina216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How often are you scooping the box? Some cats can be quite finicky, insisting that it be scooped after each use. Others don't seem to be bothered so much, but it is a thought.

Also, are you willing to consider a box in your bedroom? This might help.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I scoop after every time he uses the litterbox (only the poop because we use Silicate).
We just put up a box in the upstairs bathroom which is Close to our bedroom. I hope this helps :)

cris_tina216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did something happen that could have upset him? When I got a dog my cat's immediate response was to pee on my bed. Every. Single. Morning. I taped together puppy pads and had a full puppy pad blanket going on over my bed. The solution for me was to switch blankets oddly enough. Any time I used the blanket that had been on my bed the day I brought the dog home she would pee on it. Switch blankets, she wouldn't pee on it. Needless to say, I don't have that blanket anymore, which sucks because it was one of my favorites.
I cannot think of anythink that might have upset him. Maybe having tho wear the e-collar for 2 weeks, but it came off about a month ago..

cris_tina216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
try plugging in some feliway
also I give my boys a few treats on my bed/sofa every once and a while to remind them that those are fun food areas not bathrooms (cats don't like to go where they eat)
I would also maybe look into getting him fixed sooner rather than later-it might help
thanks, I will try this.

2075aaye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new to this site and don't know how to ask questions but I'm having a similar issue. My male cat sprays where he sleeps whether it be his bed, my bed, or the dining room chair. If I leave a blanket down and he sleeps on It he will spray it. I have a female cat as well. Rescued them together they are supposed to be brother and sister. She doesn't do any of the above. Anyone have ideas? My husband wants to give him the boot!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This happens with my male cat when he gets too much dry food. The canned food keeps the urine diluted and flowing properly. Try giving him a big 5.5oz can of wet food, half in the morning, half at dinner. See if that fixes it. Friskies is only 50 cents a can at Walmart, it's worth a try. I keep the dry food under half a cup, closer to 1/3 cup.

cris_tina216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: so today when we came home from work, he peed 4 times within 1 hour! 3 times in the litter boxes, and once on my jacket :-/ do you think this is normal? is it possible he could be marking his territory?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am new to this site and don't know how to ask questions but I'm having a similar issue. My male cat sprays where he sleeps whether it be his bed, my bed, or the dining room chair. If I leave a blanket down and he sleeps on It he will spray it. I have a female cat as well. Rescued them together they are supposed to be brother and sister. She doesn't do any of the above. Anyone have ideas? My husband wants to give him the boot!
Let me suggest that you start a thread for this. Click on the "Cat Behavior" forum. At the top of the page, you will see button "Start New Post" on the right hand side. Click that. A new page will come up with a box for your title, and one for your question, with a "Post" button at the bottom! That way you can get responses that are tailored exactly for your own cats, and can give any additional information you can think of! :hellosmiley:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: so today when we came home from work, he peed 4 times within 1 hour! 3 times in the litter boxes, and once on my jacket :-/ do you think this is normal? is it possible he could be marking his territory?
Um...that's a LOT of pee! He may need to be rechecked, in case the initial infection wasn't completely cured.

Also, rereading your initial post, I noticed that you apparently were moving or had just moved in the middle of all of this. THAT can really shake a cat up. His territory, and cats are ALL about territory, is totally gone...his smell isn't in any of the places he looks for it, and the places are even different! This can cause a flurry of marking, as well. Yes, I do think he is marking territory now.

Separation Anxiety In Cats (not uncommon after a move or upheaval)
https://thecatsite.com/ams/spraying...-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804/ (new cat to old home or old cat to new home are very much alike in helping them to adjust)

These may give you some insight and suggestions to improve things, as well, and I AM SO SO SORRY it took this long for your comments on furniture arriving and setting up the dressing room to connect to a move for me!

cris_tina216

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Um...that's a LOT of pee! He may need to be rechecked, in case the initial infection wasn't completely cured.

Also, rereading your initial post, I noticed that you apparently were moving or had just moved in the middle of all of this. THAT can really shake a cat up. His territory, and cats are ALL about territory, is totally gone...his smell isn't in any of the places he looks for it, and the places are even different! This can cause a flurry of marking, as well. Yes, I do think he is marking territory now.

Separation Anxiety In Cats (not uncommon after a move or upheaval)
https://thecatsite.com/ams/spraying...-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804/ (new cat to old home or old cat to new home are very much alike in helping them to adjust)

These may give you some insight and suggestions to improve things, as well, and I AM SO SO SORRY it took this long for your comments on furniture arriving and setting up the dressing room to connect to a move for me!
We moved last year in September right before getting Odin, which happened in November, and we had very little furniture in the beginning when he was a new kitty in the house. Actually he adjusted very quickly to us and to the house and we never had problems until now. We bought our couch, dinner table and other furniture one at a time and he never seemed to be bothered by new things before. If getting new furniture really causes him anxiety, what could we do? Also, do cats mark things by peeing on them? I thought that they do that by spraying, which I have not seen my cat do yet. We will talk to the vet as soon as we can. Thanks for all the help :)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They do a bit of both, but it's been a few months. Any chance that there are strays coming in your yard?