Peeing Issue

remlap475

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat he is 5 yrs old
He is nutred , I have 2 other cats female both spayed
These cats have been living together for almost 1 yr now.
I had one other cat previously to these other 2 cats living with us
my male cat harold was peeing in weird spots in the house not spraying but peeing
we had to put that cat to sleep , we had brought the other two cats in as i said almost 1
year ago, he seemed to stop his peeing and then all of a sudden he has started it again
he is peeing in my laundry basket with clean clothes in it . We keep the litter box clean extremely clean
we have a littler box for each cat so we have a total of 3 , I am not sure what to do this has been going on for a while
now and iam at my whitts end and i dont know what to do . Can some one please help

murr7maggiom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the first thing to do is to have him checked by your vet. Peeing outside the box is often a sign the cat may have a UTI.

Does he get wet food or dry food or both? It would be helpful to have more information.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that the first thing you should do is talk to your vet about this and your cat have a check up to see if there is any medical issue behind the behaviour.

Whether there is a medical issue or not it is also very important that you thoroughly clean all areas where your current and previous cat have peed.  A cat will repeatedly go to an area which has even the slightest odour of urine and the behaviour will continue.  Furnishing like carpet and fabrics have to bethoroughly soaked to clean adequately, sometimes more than once.

You note that your cats have a tray each but there is good reason to have more than one tray, especially if you have a cat who is peeing outside a tray.  Look to add at least one in a safe area, and if possible give a choice in terms of the type of tray and litter.

Peeing on clothes may be for a physical reason if the cat is in pain, or it can be about security or territory.  Once you have looked in to any possible health reasons look at ways you may be able to increase your cat's feelings of security, and if there have been any changes either in the physical surroundings or routines in your home that may have resulted in anxiety. Perhaps being left alone more, or another male cat coming close to your home or coming in via a window or cat flap.

Make sure he has sufficient high places to see his surrounding home and feel safe on, and places where he can go to feel quiet and safe if he wants to.  It might also be useful to add something like Feliway which can help reassure cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried different litters? You may have to confine him for a while in a small area to 'retrain' him to go in the box. I agree that something is making him feel insecure or afraid, and he is trying to 'mark' your clothes as belonging to him. You may want to invest in a black light bulb and look in the dark to see where he has gone, these places do have to be cleaned very well with enzyme cleaners. Good luck and don't give up, my cat sprayed for over a year and then stopped after he felt more secure in a new home.