Peeing in the bathtub

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the second time now that I have found pee in the bathtub. It's a bathroom that's seldom used so I don't always notice it. I cleaned it out thoroughly and sprayed some cat off on it. I don't know why he does that. His litter box is cleaned at least 3 times a day. Any ideas?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bathtub looks like a giant litter box to a cat, especially in a seldom-used one that may be smelling a little of sewer gas from a dried-up P trap. Running water once in a while will eliminate that. Have you changed the box or litter lately? He may not like what you changed to. You might close the door to that bathroom until he gets out of the habit. I was always thankful my senior cat always went in the tub, MUCH easier to clean and disinfect than a lot of places he could have gone in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do run water in the tub at least every other week and I've not changed the box or litter. Moo is somewhere around 15 so it may be an aging thing.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you had him checked for a UTI? Our cat used to pee in the sink to let us know he wasn't feeling well.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting enough urine to check for an UTI is a very daunting task. I've tried before and it was an epic fail.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second putting another litter box by the bathtub. You could even put one in the tub if you don't use it that often! Or just close the door.

Have you tried no absorb litter for the urine collection? I didn't know this was a thing until our foster cat's vet suggested it! I would guess though if the urine in the tub is only occasional, it's more likely a behavioral change. But you never know!

Good luck!

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Think I'll put another liter box there. I did try the no absorb liter but it's crazy expensive, has to be bought online and Moo wouldn't have anything to do with it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Getting enough urine to check for an UTI is a very daunting task. I've tried before and it was an epic fail.
We recently had to get a urine sample before our cat could be approved for a procedure so the vet gave us a special litter kit. We were apprehensive but it worked. 👍 Talk to your vet if you have any questions or concerns.

I was always thankful my senior cat always went in the tub, MUCH easier to clean and disinfect than a lot of places he could have gone in!
It's been awhile but we had a cat that also started to do his business in the tub so I called the vet. This is exactly what they said, i.e. he could have picked a worse place to go!" However, in his case, it was behavior related since I recently had my second child.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet can get a sterile urine sample directly from the bladder by inserting a needle. This will obviously require a trip to the vet but the procedure won't take long to do unless the vet requests that you drop off the cat a certain time and pick up later in the day.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK thanks.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently had to get a urine sample before our cat could be approved for a procedure so the vet gave us a special litter kit. We were apprehensive but it worked. 👍 Talk to your vet if you have any questions or concerns.

It's been awhile but we had a cat that also started to do his business in the tub so I called the vet. This is exactly what they said, i.e. he could have picked a worse place to go!" However, in his case, it was behavior related since I recently had my second child.
Yeah, mom & dad had one that started going in the tub when I was cat-sitting while they went on an extended vacation. It was some kind of stress. The behavior stopped after they returned home

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our old vet would press somewhere and the cat would pee. None of our cats ever acted like this was painful.