Peeing In Sink

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I should post this in behavior or health, so I'll stick it in behavior for now.

Our 3 year old cat has taken to peeing in the sink. This has been going on for a little while now. I immediately took a urine sample in to get it checked. It came back fine. So we put a Feliway plugin in the bathroom (small bathroom) and replaced the whole drain and drain pipes. He did better for a while. But then it started happening again. So I took in another sample, and he had crystals and a high PH. They put him on a pain med and Hills C/D wet food. 2 weeks later we did a recheck and the crystals were mostly gone and the PH came down a little, but not as much as they hoped. So they put him on Methioform. We're still waiting to finish that and get another re-check. However, he is still peeing in the bathroom sink (and some towels that the kids left on the floor in the other bathroom). Husband also found him trying to pee in the kitchen sink tonight as well. He does use the litter box, just not all the time.

We have another Feliway plugin in the bathroom (and he peed in there with the plug in). We've taken all the tops off of the litter boxes, added litter attract, added a litter box, and kept them clean.

The vet said we could try some Prozac and gave us some. But the first night we tried it, he was definitely not himself at all. He wouldn't eat his wet food (which he usually gobbles down), wouldn't come near me, and didn't come to sleep with me for a couple nights (he usually sleeps in my arms). After reading that Prozac can make cats aggressive, I didn't give it to him again.

I'm just not sure what to do from here. I guess I'll schedule a full checkup on him, but he seems fine. The vet just seems to think it's a behavior thing. So what can I do?? Is there anything I'm missing? Anything you can suggest?

Thanks so much!!!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may go away as you continue to get the health issues fully under control. However, he may just have learned to pee in the sink. Sometimes, they think that the pain of their illness is caused by their litter box. Try searching the forums for tips on retraining to the box and add Cat Attract litter. Sometimes, it takes a combination of several things to get things back to normal. Seti whose health history is remarkably similar to your cat's still will goof if something upsets him but he's very sensitive. Hemmy (chronic UTI's requiring surgery) only retrained to the box with treats but once he used it with no pain he went right back to using it all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jennifer.
He actually does use the litter box, I've watched him! And I do use the cat attract as well. I can understand getting used to peeing in a certain spot, but he's moving to other spots that he hasn't used before. So that's why I'm stumped.

milu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe he's just a really smart cat trying to tell you he wants to be toilet trained. Wouldn't that be nice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MiLu

Maybe he's just a really smart cat trying to tell you he wants to be toilet trained. Wouldn't that be nice
We keep saying that he's so close to the toilet when he pees in the bathroom sink, he should just go there! LOL

Guess we'll just follow up with the urine test and see what it looks like.