Peeing In Sink But Only When I Am Using The Bathroom

bananaphone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, one of my cats has recently picked up an odd behavior and im not sure if its stuck out of habit or if I should try to take a sample to the vet. Every time I go to the bathroom to go number 2, one of my cats jumps up and climbs into my bathroom sink and pees. sometimes its a normal amount sometimes its a very small amount.

I already took him to the vet because I suspected a urinary problem because shortly after he started doing that, he started to pee on my blankets and there were a few random water puddles with a little blood that were appearing(there was never any blood when he was peeing in the sink though), and he got put on wet food that's made to help with urinary problems. He ate 48 cans worth of the food and the other issues stopped but hes still peeing in the sink.

Is this just stuck with him now? Or is this a sign of something else? it ONLY happens when i am in there otherwise he uses the liter box.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried closing the bathroom door so he can't get to the sink when you're in the bathroom?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL rubysmama nothing beats common sense answers.

Of course you can bend to the will of your cat a bit. You could try putting a small litter box in the bathroom with you & redirecting your cat there. Or putting a pee pad in a litter box and see if you can get him to use pee pads instead while you figure out why he is peeing in the wrong spot? I'm guessing it hurts him or did hurt him. Blood in urine is a big red warning sign. I would even consider investing in that litter that changes color if there is blood in the pee so you know when he is having problems (or when one cat is.)

In this case I'm guessing he has bad memories about the litter box and is seeking your comfort. You can try different types of litter & boxes & even open litter boxes to help your boy get over his anxiety. I would even try cat attract litter if the pee pad idea didn't work. If the pee pad works, do a happy dance, then after a couple of weeks put a tiny amount of litter on the pee pad. To slowly hopefully get your boy to like peeing in litter over time (it is a long battle of patience/playing detective but you both can win.) Honestly though I would live with a cat using a pee pad in a shallow litter box or on plastic tray over finding puddles of pee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bananaphone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He uses his litter box at every other moment of the day.

However, I just found a little puddle of blood with a little water/urine. I can't tell which cat its coming from but im pretty sure its the one thats peeing in my sink.

I am going to make an appointment right now to take him to a different vet.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww, poor baby. Hope the new vet finds a solution to his UTI's. :heartshape: