Peeing in her own bed?

mrsgoose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Thanks for replies to my dilemma. I don't want to speak too soon but I think we may have cracked it.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook  20 uses for Vick's vapour rub. One idea for it was to stop your cat peeing where she shouldn't by leaving an open jar of the said product next to the area in question.

I thought a £4 jar of Vick's was a bit  extravagant so I smeared some onto a metal drinks mat and put it next to her bed and the bit left on my finger I smeared the other side on the black plastic bag that her bed sits on.

Well we've had five nights of dry bed, she's used her toilet bowls like a good girl and she sleeps quite happily in her bed.

As the Vick's looses some of it's potency over 24 hours, I replenish it each evening.

Fingers crossed it's done the trick.

blackcat416

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just the other day my Mamma Pooch started peeing outside of her liter box. MP will be 21 years old next month. So off to the vet she went. She was dehydrated from peeing constantly on things we would find. She peed in her Dad's slippers and peed in a mop in the corner of the kitchen then peed in the other cats hard good bowl. MP has no teeth, I adopted her when she was 17 unfixed and toothless. I never had a problem with her, she just likes to sleep in special places that she calls her space. She has to live with 6 other cats from 6.6 months old to 8 years old. Yes she gets cranky when the younger cats want to play with her, doing some growling, hissing and swatting. But for the most part, I believe she enjoys her life here.

So she spent the night at the vet getting fluids and other meds to hydrate her. The diagnostic testing revealed she has gallstones. Which at 20 the vet wouldn't even consider the surgery, although her kidneys and liver test came back perfect. So we have now had to change her diet to a low fat, high fiber diet and give her a weeks worth of antibiotics. The overnight stay at the hospital getting fluids did wonders for her, she came home a little heavier then she left, completely filled out and right before I took her home they gave MP her medicine and some sub Q fluid so her little legs were carrying around some extra fluid as well. She has stopped peeing every where and has stopped throwing up. We have 8 liter boxes in the basement, 7 cats. They are kept spotless with cleaning multiple times a day, I use Swheat Scoop liter, unscented. What I did notice was, one of my male cats likes to sleep on the floor, right at the top of the stair case leading to the basement with the 8 liter boxes. This is prohibiting MP from getting to the liter boxes without a confrontation. So Virgil has to get the boot from his new napping spot to give everyone free an clear access to the liter boxes and the basement.

While MP was peeing all over I have washable bed pads for humans that a purchase at a local pharmacy, and I had placed them everywhere she would nap, just incase she was suffering from incontinence. Those bed pads are awesome, they are soft and strong and can be placed right on top of her pillow, the dogs pillow, whatever and where ever she is peeing. They come 3 feet x 3 feet and can be folded or tucked any which way during this period of unusual behavior by your girl until the issue is solved. Who would have thought gallstones would be the cause of my MP's peeing as well as Virgil blocking the staircase to the basement.

Sometimes are all have to be Sherlock Holmes to find the true cause of why our cats do what they do that's unusual. Good luck.

natkit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat pees in his bed all the time but only when he's in the house with just my boyfriend home and I'm out.  My boyfriend is nothing but lovely to the cat but he's a rescue cat and at 17 I think he has some serious psychological issues with boys!  I can tell he doesn't do it on purpose as he's really upset and doesn't sleep in it, he also has no pre-existing physical illnesses he just is really freaked out by boys when I'm not around to reassure him.  He's fine if we're in together, he's best friends with both of us but as soon as I go out the bed gets peed in again!  I think he's too old to fix now though.  Feliway helped a bit but just when I thought he'd stopped it happens again!  I don't think it has anything at all to do with his litter tray its purely a fear response...maybe the original cat is a bit scared of the dog?  My cat is terrified of dogs after two tried to rip him to shreds!  He is a bit of a psychological minefield!! If I could carry him around in a baby sling all day or spoon him on the sofa all day ONLY then would he feel ok! Poor kitty!  Whoever had him before must have been pretty rotten to him.

stellafloella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hate it when patronizing people say things such as.....

"It is VERY unusual for a cat to wee on its' own bed.....".etc....

Says WHO?!

In my experience with many different types and ages of cats,  one can  not be so dogmatic. Cats are such complicated characters I would hate to be so negative.

The Vicks thing is interesting. I would keep on trying different ideas. Different cats present different ways!

They are not always sick,although it is a good idea to check the health aspect first.

I like ' Vet Bed'  for bedding as the surface stays dry . I use this especially for kittening etc.

Don't get downhearted, keep trying to "read" what is going on in that complicated little head.

And don't let people make you feel  foolish because no one really knows exactly how felines think.

Sara

sukablyat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I may have found the answer!!!!!

Ok, so I have this beautiful male persian, and He uses the litterbox normally, no problemo.

I made a bed from him out of my old t-shirt and a cardboard box.

He peed in it.

But I also have another bed, which I put NOT On the same level as the litterbox 

he has yet to pee in there. He never has.

So basically, if your bed is on the same ground level as the litter box, your cat might be associating it with a litterbox!

So, move your bed somewhere high, so he can see the whole place, which makes him feel safe, and he wont associate it with a litterbox because it's not on the same height.

See if that works and report back!

TL;DR Kitty is associating litterbox with bed because they are both on the ground, put bed somewhere up high.

Goodluck!

noah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
could you please tell me what Not On is. My male 'posh' cat has just started peeing in his bed. So far nowhere else. He is 10 months old and has been immaculate about his litter box since being with me (6 months)

He goes in the garden supervised. He is trained to harness and does not mind car and likes walking out in country and on the beach. he his curious about everything.

He actually escaped from the garden and eventually came back. Did this upset his equilibrium? Is he just craving to be free?

He is very beautiful and affectunate. I live on a small road and am surrounded by large gardens. Some have ponds and swimming pools, dogs and cats. I am nervous about just giving him his freedom as I would be devastated if he was stolen or injured or worse. 

He has been to the vet for pee sample but so far there seems to be nothing wrong though I think his pee is very coloured and smelly. He will only eat Hills perscription diet biscuits despite trying every thing possible as treats to vary his diet slightly. This has all distressed me more than him I think. 

I am going to try 2nd litter tray..have already taken top of which seems better. Have left last nights soiled towel at side of litter tray and hes used it. He only pees in bed at night?

I will try the Vicks idea which sounds feesable. Only peeing his bed makes solutions more difficult.

animallover9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am having a similar issue with my female after getting her a clean bill of health we narrowed it down to her purely being jealous. Try giving her more attention. If you have gotten another cat or dog since you have gotten her that could be why. She is getting territorial over her stuff she wants everyone to know it is her's. Luck enough it is on her bed though my cat took it out my clothes she pulls them out of the laundry basket and pee's on them. Since I have been setting aside time just for she has stopped completly though. So that might be the problem 

doberpup

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After 2 years, I have given up. "Madeliene" now has the enitre kitchen table to herself. To pee on. I have plastic sheeting down to cover the table and big fluffy towels for her to pee on. I could never find a reason why she did it, even after a vet visit and 2 litter boxes strategically placed near her favorite spot. So I live with it. Change towel every day to avoid orders.

donna vanderhoff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm new here, driven here by Her Highness' Scout's only quirk. She has taken to peeing in HER OWN bed. I don't get it.
She will use her litter box just fine unless she is provided a bed to sleep in. By bed I mean everything from her original basket with pillow and fleece cat bed and blanket to an old towel on the floor. Sometimes she pees in the dog's bed, too, but much less often than her own. She pees in her own whenever she is given the opportunity.

We first discovered it when I started noticing this odd smell in the guest bathroom (her bedroom, which she used to love - she'd ask to be locked in). I cleaned the litter box thoroughly, I put in air freshener. Then one day I leaned near her bed and found the smell!! It was the same smell I had been smelling on her faintly. The bed was dry, but when I picked it up it was SOAKED on the bottom and the pillow and basket below too. She had been sleeping in it. WHY?! I got rid of the whole thing. Bought new. She peed in that regularly. Thought maybe it was the location so I put a litter box there and moved the bed. Still peed in the bed (but continued to use the litter box for poop). I gave her old towels. She pees in those. I got frustrated and started putting down loads and loads of toilet paper for her to sleep on, so at least all I had to do was throw it away.

She will sometimes pee in the dog's bed, but not anywhere near as often as her own bed. She never pees in our bed or on couches or the rug or a pile of clothes. Just her bed.

We've tried all the tricks. We've ruled out physical problems. Right now the only thing that stops her is making her sleep on a hard tile floor with no bed. I obviously can't do that.

Ideas? Help? Anything?! I'm being driven crazy.

Thanks!! I'll go introduce myself somewhere else. Please help my poor Scout.
hi! i’m having the same problem 2. UR NIT ALONE. it can b a uti but her per says no.
my 29.5 lb cat has been checked out physically, several times and clean bill of health. no rhyme or reason why she pees in her bed.
but what i want to share w/u...she’s not vindictive or mean and i still believe she is trying to tell me something. no other pets. one floor living. 3 litter boxes, one with lower step into.
recently i trued dr. elseys cat attract litter. after checking it out fir a week she pooped in it twice yesterday. (instead of 2 area rugs, that i took away to clean.) so good sign.
but still peeing in bed. she, like urs, can sleep in it days then one day, poof! pees in it. usually overnight.
vet thinks she is just having a hard time getting to litter box cuz she is so big and maybe a joint problem? so we just yesterday put her on 50 mgs of gabapentin 2 times a day. i will let u know if it works. i was thinking prozac but the gabapentin is miracle in getting her to the vet. so maybe it will help her joints. the only problem i see w/it is she’ll eat more than she should-but i’ll tell her dr. should it really get bad.
i don’t throw things away. i am constantly daily washing and drying (NO DRYER) but dry on a rack. wash w/oxy and use 1 cup white vinegar in final rinse cycle. just started that. will also let u know. will also use apple cider vinegar to clean as i have not found an enzymatic cleaner that works.
i also put plastic garbage bags under both beds so it won’t go thru carpet to floor. but i hafta hide it so she doesn’t see it.
i feel ur pain. this has been going on since dec 23. i love her too much to give up. and i believe u do too.
would u keep in touch to let me know if u find a way out of this? i will also let u know if and when i learn things, (if u want) chewie is only 9 yrs old, i rescued her at 5 and she has just started this. i know she’s had a hard life, i believe it wasn’t a happy or good life.
i’ve got to make it better fir her.
PLS DON’T GIVE UP!
TYVM fir listening.

donna vanderhoff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Thanks for replies to my dilemma. I don't want to speak too soon but I think we may have cracked it.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook 20 uses for Vick's vapour rub. One idea for it was to stop your cat peeing where she shouldn't by leaving an open jar of the said product next to the area in question.

I thought a £4 jar of Vick's was a bit extravagant so I smeared some onto a metal drinks mat and put it next to her bed and the bit left on my finger I smeared the other side on the black plastic bag that her bed sits on.

Well we've had five nights of dry bed, she's used her toilet bowls like a good girl and she sleeps quite happily in her bed.

As the Vick's looses some of it's potency over 24 hours, I replenish it each evening.

Fingers crossed it's done the trick.
VERY INTERESING! pls keep us posted. mine can use bix fir more than 5 days then pee in her bed the next night.
TYVM tho. i so hope it works for u

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi D donna vanderhoff Just an FYI, this is quite an old thread so the members involved may not be around the site any more. You're welcome to start a thread of your own about your kitty, and please feel free to introduce yourself and your kitty in our New Cats on the Block forum.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She needs to go to the vet. A cat doesn’t urinate in their own bed unless they have some kind of medical problem going on like diabetes Or a urinary tract infection.
I know this thread is super old, but I wanted to say that my cat actually did! Her stress/poor litter box habits spiraled so much that she was urinating everywhere and anywhere, including her own bed, right by her food, on me etc etc etc. No health issues, just a lot of life changes at once and her anxiety manifested as extreme litter box aversion. Just wanted to spread the word to any other frustrated cat owners who might come upon this thread. It's always good to check in with the vet but a health issue won't always be the reason for such extreme toileting habits.

Last edited: