Peeing in closet or laundry

kinksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I am new here but would really like some advice. My husband and I have a 2 year old male cat named Kink. He's our little baby since we got him at 6 weeks old. He's never acted up or out of the norm until a few months ago. Out of nowhere he started scratching our leather couches which I thought he might just be bored with his scratching post and likes the leather material. It has gotten a bit better too. Our main concern though is around the same time we discovered that he started peeing in our laundry basket in the closet or even on the closet floor when the basket wasn't in there. Problem solved by making sure the closet stays shut...except when we're in a rush and forget to close it. He gets in there every time! Now it even got the point where it's not just the laundry basket he seeks out (one time I was sorting the laundry and he jumped in the basket right in front of me and started peeing) but dirty clothes on the bedroom floor. I know we should just throw it in the basket and shut the closet door but my husband refuses to let Kink rule his bedroom in that way. So yesterday it happened again and now my husband won't even let kink into the bedroom anymore. Which is is favorite spot and of course when we're inside he knows we're on the other side of the and he meows relentlessly until someone opens the door and shoos him away. I feel awful leaving him out in the living room just crying besides the fact that I can't sleep. So what can we do to prevent him from peeing? I don't think he's sick because I do see and hear him use his litterbox, he hasn't pooped in the laundry for a few months either. The litterbox gets cleaned fairly frequently too. Please help!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Greetings. Even though he is using the litter box most of the time, you should take him to the vet to completely rule out a UTI.  The box should be scooped daily. What kind of litter are you using? There is a reason he is peeing on soft clothes.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds to me like you also have to train your husband.   Though of course this is only a partial and quick fix, he needs to pick up his clothes.  Cats aren't like kids and can't be reasoned with in the way you could reason with kids (ore even with a dog).  Until you figure out the underlying problem, hubby should stop being lazy and pick up his clothes.

If you do end up continuing to shut him out of the bedroom instead, it will be most effective to simply ignore him when he meows.  Believe it or not, if you stick in ear plugs and let him just go on for a night or three, he will probably stop meowing.  He continues to do it because he gets attention for doing it (shooing away is better than nothing from his perspective).

More info would be useful.  Specifically:

How many boxes do you have? How often do you scoop? Do you have any other cats? Is he declawed? Has anything in the environment changed (think carefully about this one- the instinct is often to say no, but even moving a piece of furniture slightly can set off some cats)?

Also, as said above, PLEASE do go see a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kinksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply!
We did change the litter and even though it did not match the timing exactly of when he started peeing outside his box we switched it back hoping that would solve te problem. I had just taken him for his yearly check up right around the time this all started as well.
Nothing else changed, except my husband's work schedule which means that he is home more so I don't think that should do anything?? Kink is our only cat, neutered, not declawed, very active and loving cat, has one litter box which is enclosed an cleaned daily.
Even though he is neutered and not interacting with other animals could he possibly mark his territory? He never does it to clean clothes either which I've read other cats might do...clean clothes he just sleeps in.
Thanks again

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I probably would try adding a litterbox and cleaning the closed one twice daily.  Closed litterboxes really accumulate the smell inside and some cats don't like how stinky it gets. Since it sounds like your cat is peeing but not pooing inappropriately, a second box could help for 2 reasons- first, he may want a separate place to pee than where he poos. Second, he may be picky about how 'clean' the box is, and giving him another box will make it more likely he always has a clean-ish place to pee.

I also probably would consult the vet again.  I understand you saw the vet right before it started but UTIs or crystals can develop any time- even right after a vet visit.

It actually is also possible he's adjusting to your husband's new schedule.  He was used to having a larger part of the day 'alone' and now no longer has that time. While most cats probably wouldn't mind it, he might. 

Good luck figuring this out.  I really do know how frustrating these kinds of problems are.