Peeing in bed

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Callie has recently started peeing in mine and my boyfriends bed. Once on his side and once on mine. We washed the covers yesterday and she’s already peed in them again. She’s been in heat so I’m not sure if she’s peeing or spraying. Would getting her spayed help? I don’t want her getting thrown out because she won’t stop peeing on everything.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting cats fixed helps with a wide range of behavior problems and could easily help with this.

However, you can't just wash the covers, it doesn't get everything out and the smell of the remaining bit is a trigger. You must use an enzyme cleaner such as Petzyme.

Another issue is that the bed is the most common spot for accidents, and sometimes it can become a habit. I would exclude the cat from the bedroom for a week or two to break any habit. Failing that, put the bedding in the closet during the day. The ability to knead bedding beneath the paws somehow seems like burying waste to them.

Finally, another common issue is UTI. If you can get a spay/neuter appt soon and are doing it with a vet willing to provide at least that level of general care, you can get that checked out at the same time. If you are going to use a spay/neuter specialty clinic, I don't know whether they check for that. Best to ask, as if you exclude from the bedroom and accidents start happening elsewhere, UTI becomes more likely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bri1976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m calling in the morning to see which vet is the cheapest to get her spayed and to get her checked out because she’s losing a lot of hair on her back end. But I’m going to get her in hopefully on Thursday so I don’t have to take off work. I can’t put her anywhere else because my boyfriends mom has a ton of dogs and I’m not sure how Callie would do with dogs.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may be distressed by hearing and smelling dogs or doesn't like the litter in her box. Definitely get a cat urine enzyme cleaner to help with getting rid of the urine. Being in heat could also definitely induce her to pee where she isn't supposed to. Getting her spayed could help with that and many other problems that will arise.