Peeing Everywhere But No Urine Infections?

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, looking for advice please!

My soon to be 4month old male kitten (getting neutered at 4months, booked in for 9th September) has been having some pee issues and wondered if anyone had any advice or opinions on what else to do?

So he pees like crazy. Everywhere. As soon as an empty box is put down (like a delivery box from Amazon) he pees in it. He pees on clothes, beanbags, towels etc. Everything. And it's not little amounts like spraying. Full on squat down, crazy amounts of pee. We have another kitten, female 4weeks older, they're best buddies. No issues with her (spayed). He does use the tray but every day there's another explosive pee, today I left a room for 2 mins and came back up, a whole beanbag covered and a pool of water collected, sprayed on the wall and his cat tree. Then he went into the litter box. He also cries sometimes and we put him in the tray and he'll go, but this doesn't always happen. Like today, silence and pee everywhere. He also always manages to get himself covered, like his legs and paws covered and I have to clean him with wipes usually.

We have no idea why he's doing it. We've tried clapping and saying no, picking him up and putting him in the box mid pee (disaster for all involved), antibacterial sprays to clean up so he doesn't go there again (he just finds new places), even resorted to the squirt bottle training and I hated that. Felt awful so would rather not use that method.

There's 3 trays all in different areas, one in open area, other 2 in corners, not hidden though. He does pee in them. It's just he always does it outside of them too.

I had him tested at the vet and there's no issues at all, urine sample came back fine. Though the vet said his bladder is very tender/soft. Not sure what that means overall. I'm so confused and don't know what else to do, he drinks like crazy too which doesn't help.

Someone elsewhere suggested anxiety - is that likely? He does cry if we're in a room and close the door (IE kitchen or at night if the kittens are being zoomy we keep them out, but usually they sleep with us) and he'll cry. The kitchen door has a window and he'll look at us through it and yelp, pawing at the window and jumping up to see through it. He's fine when we're not in, as he's got Koda, the other kitten and they're inseparable, but when we're in if he's not with us he gets awful vocal and paws at the doors etc. Starting to think that it might be anxiety after all? What do you guys think?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Really worried .

Should add, he's a snuggle bug and runs downstairs to greet us when we come in from work. He's very purry and loves being held bit also plays loads with his sister when we're in, he's not stuck to our sides but always likes to be in the same room, even of he's doing his own thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Are the wipes chemical free? You could also just dunk him into a little warm water and rinse that way.

He does cry if we're in a room and close the door
This is fairly normal, I think.

Would you consider trying a different vet, or pin down your current one and get more information and guidance as to what can be done to address this and what they meant by a soft bladder?
He also cries sometimes and we put him in the tray and he'll go, but this doesn't always happen.
I realize you said the test came back fine, but the crying at times when he is peeing is concerning. I honestly don't think anxiety is part of the equation here - this sounds to me that it's more health related than emotional.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think a soft pliable bladder is meant to be a good thing. Usually, when the bladder feels harder it is because of the bladder wall thickening due to the constant irritation of stones. Your cat is so young, I can't, as a layperson, perceive how that would be possible yet. However, cats can have stones in their bladder and not necessarily cause an infection or wall thickening - at least not initially. A lot of times when stones do happen, it is considered to be related to stress/anxiety. Some cats are more prone than others. And, it can cause some irritation as well, which might encourage a cat to want to go somewhere other than the litterbox because he relates the box to pain. I think your vet needs to do at least an x-ray to see if they can see stones in his bladder.

Neutering might help, it terms of some of the characteristics of how he is peeing. The hormones could be adding to his stress level.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wish I had a definitive answer for you, but I don't. I doubt it's anything physical or an illness. I would think having him neutered would be help. Could be anxiety. I had a boy who was anxious and followed me everywhere, cried if he couldn't get at me when I was in the house. I think he gets pee on himself because there's no litter to absorb it if he goes outside the box.
That's my 2 cents.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet run blood work? If not I would ask him to. I don’t think juvenile diabetes is common in kittens but still possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

He doesn't cry when he pees just sometimes he cries like crazy and we put him in the tray and he's fine and pees. It's like he forgets where they are even when he's right at them. Or thinks he's not going to make it idk but when he's in, it's fine.

They've not done bloodwork so I'm asking them to do this at his appt tomorrow, they said it'll be a waste if money and time and he's likely just acting up but I'm glad you all agree it's worth doing. I'm just at a loss and have no idea what to expect!

He does cry when he can't get to us but knows we're in, paws at doors relentlessly. Cries if we're not petting him or sat next to him when he's not playing. Follows us everywhere. Cries if Koda is getting attention when he's not so I thought maybe anxiety but I can't rule anything health related out. So blood tests tomorrow. Hoping he's okay but would welcome any and all possibilities to be mentioned just so I'm prepared lol! Thanks again guys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!!