Peeing Constantly After Catheter?

nellecv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just came back from the vet after a case of urinary crystals. He had a catheter to drain his bladder. He's been home about an hour and has peed a small amount about 4 times. Is this normal after a catheter?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Although I'm not a vet I think it is normal, but there are other members here with more experience and hopefully they'll have a chance to reply for you :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Just came upon your thread. How is your kitty doing today?
When we brought ours home from the vet after a blockage, he did pee small pees several times in the beginning. His urethra will still be irritated so he may continue to pee like he is going to block or has an infection for a bit, but as long as he continues to pee and the pee sizes in the box do not get smaller as time goes on, you should be OK.
Ours also was incontinent because he had been catheterized for 5 days, so he would leak/dribble pee randomly for quite some time. In our case it was a severe case of cystitis, and it took over a month with several different medications to him to regain normal bladder control. I doubt you'll have this issue but I wanted to let you know that it can take some time and that your kitty may also leak a bit.
It's a great thing that he IS peeing and using the box to do so. Just keep an eye that he continues to go and that the amounts do not lessen, also that he does not start to strain or try to go but nothing comes out. Also if he goes multiple times with no success, he'll need to go back to the vet.

Keep him as hydrated as you can, the more water intake the better to flush things out.
What did the vet say or give you to do from now on?

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy had some trouble the first night after his bladder stones surgery - he peed a small amount a few times, just on the blankets with me, but I was told that can be normal.