Peeing Around the House

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, here's the deal:

My brother's cat was put down about six months ago, and for the last week of her life, she had lost control of her body functions and basically was just peeing wherever she was laying.  We tried to clean what we could, but there was so much going on with her care at that point that I'm sure we didn't get it all.

Now I've adopted a new cat; Belle!  She's great and so much fun, but before I could take her home they had to spay her.  So when she came home she was groggy and miserable and did a LOT of sleeping.  I put this old blanket in the space behind her litter box because she wanted to sleep back there (it was dark and comfy I guess) and unbeknownst to me, she was peeing back there too.

Right as she was recovering from the spay she got a URI and was barely able to breathe out of her nose.  She lost interest in food, did a lot of mouth breathing, sneezing, etc.  Got her some medicine and switched out the paper litter with regular clay litter since her spay was healed up nicely.  I noticed her using the litter box to poop in, but I wasn't finding a lot of pee.  It didn't surprise me too much though, she wasn't drinking a lot right then.

Anyway, now her URI is basically gone symptom-wise, and we're just finishing up antibiotics.  I pulled out the blanket from behind the litter box finally, since I didn't see her using it as a sleeping place anymore, and it was full of cat pee.  My mistake completely for not checking it out after those first few days that she was spending so much time back there!  I'm not even sure if anyone will want to use that blanket ever again... good thing it was old.  So I'm hoping she won't be peeing back there now that the blanket's gone.

Unfortunately, now we've noticed that as her sense of smell is back in full force, she is sniffing around everywhere and there are a couple places she has decided are pee-worthy as in under the computer table and on the cloth couch in the den.  I'm wondering if she smells the pee from the last cat... and I have no idea what to do to stop it.  Those pee areas (if that's what this is) are over six months old!

What can I use to clean those old spots and is there a way to find out where they are besides smelling the ground all over?  What is the best cleaner to get rid of the smell for Belle?  Also, is there something I can do to encourage her to use the litter box to pee in?

Thanks for any help!

-- Melissa

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need an enzyme cleaner and a black light (both available at pet stores) to completely get rid of the old cat pee smells. Even if you can't smell it, your new cat can. I would also try something like Cat Attract litter until she is using the litter box regularly.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I had that with one of my cats over a 3 day period, and I remember it all to well.  Thinking of you as you go through this.

Useful to add, if the areas are absorbant like carpet you need to soak them right through and not just the surface.  Otherwise the odour will still be there.  

Here's a link from the site with some advice including some of the different cleaners available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

manemelissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks!  We were keeping an eye on her today and she didn't appear to go anywhere but the litter box, so I will purchase an enzyme cleaner tonight and a blacklight and then go to town on our carpet/couch.  I didn't know there was a cat attract litter, but then I've never had to train a cat to use a litterbox, so if I notice her not using the box still, I'll definitely buy that litter.  Good thing my next paycheck is a big one, lol!