Peeing anywhere in older cats,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone had the problem of an older cat peeing near the box or many feet away from the box. Jobert is 16 and has been peeing as far away from the box as 15 feet lately. He has been to the vets and had many tests. I'm starting to think he is just senile because he doesn't even squat when he pees. Just stands there and lowers his rear end just slightly and pees. He just had a urine test that came back negative which is why I'm thinking it's senility. Is that possible? Anyone else experience this ? Any luck curing it? I use puppy pee pads outside of the box but never know when he's going to decide to just let it fly wherever he happens to be. All thoughts and ideas appreciated. Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you are truly convinced there is no urinary issue going on - has he been checked for arthritis? If it hurts any of his joints in any way to get into the box, a cat will opt to go outside of it. And, the lack of squatting, that he apparently used to do, is a sign of possible arthritic conditions. Surprisingly enough, this can happen much more with peeing than pooping - I have no idea why, but it seems to be the case.

X-rays will give the vet an idea if there is arthritis in any of his joints that might be attributing to his problem. Unless he is an absolute tyrant at the vets, most vets can do x-rays without sedating a cat. There are numerous treatments for helping an older cat with arthritis - glucosamine, chondroitin, even green lipped mussels - all of which are used by humans with arthritis.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And should this be a cognitive issue (although arthritis at his age is a real possibility, especially as he doesn't squat), there are any number of kitty diapers available for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has had x-rays and does take pain meds for arthritis in his spine. Still pain does not seem to be the issue when he is miles away from the box. I could believe it if he was near the box, like he used to be but this peeing way across the room is new.
Kitty diapers? I will have to check that out. I had no idea. Thanks fellow cat lovers.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The thing is - if the only sign he is displaying that you are considering senility is peeing away from the litter box, that is pretty rare. There are generally other tell tale signs, not just one. Are there other things that he does that might correlate to senility?

Also, does he use the litter box to poop? If he does, that is another thing to take into consideration when trying to decide what is going on with him. And, if he does manage to use the litter box for poop, and you think there is no other option besides diapers, look into what they call 'belly bands'. They were initially created for male dogs, but have now been adapted for male cats who do use the litter box for pooping. The belly bands have removable pads and will cause less urine burn in the general area than diapers.

Is it possible that his arthritis is worse, and the pain meds he is on isn't no longer enough? Maybe some other treatments besides just pain medication?

Also, if he generally pees in the same locations over and over again - whether nearby or afar from his box - maybe his scent is not being removed from those areas, encouraging him to pee there again and again.

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, I have vinyl flooring. and clean it up as soon as I find it with the kind of cleaner pet stores recommend. He doesn't sniff around before he pees, just walks along and suddenly pauses to pee wherever he happens to be. He is walking very slowly and seems like a zombie. The vet has him on Orbax and we both hate it. I think it's making him like a zombie. I called to ask if they just can't give him an antibiotic shot but the vet is out until tomorrow. He gags on this stuff and foams at the mouth. Yes, he poops in the litter box but has seemed to be constipated lately. Probably the dreaded Orbax. I will look at the belly bands. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why is he on Orbax? That is what my vet has Feeby on whenever she has a UTI. Inappropriate peeing is one of the most common symptoms of a UTI. She gets Orbax, because other antibiotics haven't proven to be as effective for her - and based on urine culture/sensitivity testing Orbax is one of the most effective antibiotics for her strain of infection. You can ask the vet about other antibiotics that would be as effective as Orbax when you can reach them. Feeby has also taken Clavamox, which is usually given by injection, but it actually does not completely rid her of the infection, it just helps to subside it for a while.

As far as side effects, which I realize can be different with each cat, Feeby has never had any kind of reaction to Orbax. However, lethargy is one possible side effect. Diarrhea is another, but I have never heard of constipation from Orbax. So, be sure to tell your vet about his lethargy and constipation - and, also ask if there is any issue with this antibiotic and his pain meds. That could also be posing a problem if there is an interaction between the two.

I am able to place the correct dosage of Orbax in a very small amount of canned tuna water or canned chicken water and she willingly laps it up. (She foamed at the mouth when I once tried to give it to her via an oral syringe.) Then, as a 'treat', she gets a bite of the tuna or chicken afterward. So, you could try that instead, or even a small amount of one of the cat gravies that are available. It is best to give antibiotics with some sort of food source in order to prevent stomach upset that can make a cat feel even worse.

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think the vet put him on Orbax as a precaution, because they at first told me he didn't have a urine infection. Yesterday I took him back and they gave him a shot of Convenia and sub fluids. He barely got out of bed after we got home and I don't think he's eaten anything since. He is very lethargic and stumbles easily. He has peed only twice that I know of even with the fluids which seemed to seep out of his coat all day long yesterday. I'm worried about the not eating because this is a cat who has never ever turned down food. He has lost 2 pounds since early September. Thank you for your advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope the Covenia antibiotic injection helps - and that they took him off the Orbax! The most common side effects of Covenia are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite. So, his lack of interest in food and lethargy may be from the shot. As an injection, the antibiotic starts working almost immediately, which would explain why you are seeing the changes so quickly after the shot was given.

That's terrible about his weight loss! You might want to tell the vet that he doesn't seem interested in eating and ask if there is anything he can take that would help counteract that until the antibiotic starts to wear off. And, mention about the fluid seeping out of his coat, I've never heard that before - but, maybe it is more common than I know.

Consider trying canned tuna in water, canned chicken in water, baby food meats (no garlic, onions, etc.) in the hopes that one or more of them will peak his interest in food again. If he likes cottage cheese, that is another thing to try. With that weight loss, give him anything he is willing to eat for now!

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. He goes back to the vet on Tuesday and I will certainly tell him about the seeping. I have never seen this in any of my previous cats. I just tried some canned tuna and he licked a tiny bit of the juice from it. Going to check into baby food tomorrow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
About the fluids seeping out, at the vet's they didn't remove the needle properly/pinch closed the needle hole after the subq. It happens, but isn't optimal.

You are getting past the point where you can rely on him to eat. You need to hand feed your cat;
use your finger or a spoon,​
sit with him and use a flat paper plate,​
or use a popsicle stick, open his mouth and scrape small amounts of food onto his tongue.​

Also take a look at this thread, it has ideas that may help in addition to feebysowner 's excellent suggestions.

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I just returned from the vets. Called them as soon as they opened and they are keeping him for the day for testing and more fluids. I do appreciate the advice.

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got bad news. He is in renal failure and has a kidney infection. His blood count is dropping and they recommend a transfusion which would mean taking him to a different hospital that is open 24 hours. We are both on Social Security so putting a lot of money out fighting a losing condition is not wise. As much as it pains me I think I am going to have to say goodbye to him. It is breaking my heart but I have to do what is best for him. Thank you all for your kind advice.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so very, very sorry. I know how hard this decision was for you, and you are, indeed, acting in his best interests. My heart with yours.

Jobert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To all that offered advice and tried to help. JoJo is gone and I am heartbroken. He was such a wonderful cat and I loved him and he loved me. He had developed IMHA and if you don't know what that is, please look it up and be aware. I am wondering if the medications that I was giving him maybe caused this condition. I think vets should tell us about this disease and warn us that giving too much med's could bring it on. I tried to follow their directions to the T but, still, I will always wonder. Again, thank you all.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. :grouphug: Threads are closed after such a loss as a sign of respect. When you feel up to it, please consider starting a memorial thread in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace, JoJo. :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.