Pee Scooping Out Size Of Marbles + Stress Cystitis?

srhfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a 3-yr old neutered male indoor only cat, Buddy. Never had any health problems with him. When I got back from a 6-night vacation in early June, I quickly noticed that Buddy was running in and out of the litter box nonstop. Like 8-9 times in the first 30 minutes I was home. It appeared that he was able to urinate, but in small amounts, like a marble when I scoop them out to check. He didn't seem to be in pain such as a complete blockage, and he was playing and purring like normal. But I ran him into the vet that afternoon. He felt his bladder, said he didn't see any problems. Gave him a shot of Convenia and shot of Onsior.

Came home, playing normally, but still constantly in the litter box and for several minutes at a time. I took him back to the vet after one full day of this, and they kept him all day to try and get a urine specimen. He also got a bag of IV fluids. He was very stressed being at the vet and they never got a specimen. The vet said he would consider it to be stress-related cystitis (not from being at the vet but from me being gone for 6 days - change to environment) - and they could force a specimen for labwork, but the treatment would be the same. So I brought him home again.

It's been about 2 weeks since Buddy had the fluids and the shot of Convenia. He has improved but not back to normal. I picked up a 3-pack of Onsior tablets after the first week when he still seemed not 100%. He doesn't use the litter box AS frequently, more in the morning than at night, and definitely doesn't stay in it as long. But he still seems to be only peeing marble size. He is still playing and seems fine other than not peeing it all out at once? He also grooms down there regularly, so I can tell it is still irritating.

For history, we have a cat water fountain as well as fresh water in bowls. I've never seen him to be a great drinker, but he does drink. I have 4 indoor plus 9 outdoor fixed/vaccinated outdoor only strays that I take care of. I feed Fancy Feast pate - as much non-seafood as possible with some as a treat. I switched from Purina Cat Chow blue bag dry about a year ago when I realized it wasn't healthy to the Tractor Supply 4Health All Stages dry. They don't free feed the dry, but get some in the middle of the day and some when I go to bed. The bowls are usually empty. Buddy has never taken well to the 4Health, so he still gets some Cat Chow when I worry that he hasn't eaten. He is not a huge fan of the wet, but will finish about 1/4 can a day (which I know isn't enough wet).

Any suggestions or thoughts on what could cause marble size pee?? He seems fine other than this, but I'm happy to take him back to the vet if needed. I feel like I must be doing something wrong, or the vet has overlooked something? Does stress cystitis last a while? I know it can do so in humans.

Thank you!
Sarah

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sarah, I am sorry you and Buddy are going through this. Blockages or partial blockages whether due to crystals or FIC (feline idiopathic cystitis) can be one of the most scary and frustrating things for a cat and their parents.

I am not in the medical field, but I am confused as to why they couldn't get a urine sample after IV fluids. Buddy should have had a full bladder and they should have been able to do it via tiny needle in the bladder (painless, common way of getting urine). Also, an ultrasound could tell if there was any sand/crystals in the bladder. Also, a fairly inexpensive thing. I'm not saying Buddy doesn't have a great vet, just a little confused. An opinion from another vet might be a good idea. I do feel marble-sized clumps are a cause for concern, whether it is idiopathic or physical - the end result is the same - a kitty that won't pee or won't pee enough.

No, you are NOT doing anything wrong! You are doing everything right. You saw his clumps were too small and you took him to the vet. You are monitoring him, you are very concerned for him. I think it is a good sign he is still playing.

I would probably want an ultrasound at this point to see what is going on in his little bladder, if there are any crystals.

Buddy will be okay, you are on this! :vibes:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get pee problems just like this on too much dry food and not enough canned food. I try to get a can and a half of fancy feast into each cat per day, and the dry food I limit to under half a cup per cat.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is also medication the vet can give him to relieve the bladder spasm that’s causing him to pee so often as well as an analgesic to decrease the irritation. Also a special food to decrease recurrences. You might want to ask your vet about these.

I also don’t understand why Buddy’s urine wasn’t cultured or why he hasn’t had had an ultrasound and a urinalysis to check the urine pH and to look for crystals, white cells, bacteria, etc. Idiopathic cystitis is a diagnosis of exclusion, meaning you have to exclude other causes of cystitis. In your case, you don’t even know whether the putative infection is susceptible to the antibiotic used.

Good luck and please keep us updated on how Buddy does.