Pee became stinky

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The smell of Musiaka's pee seems to have worsened. It's suddenly much smellier. What could it be? Musiaka recently had fleas (now exterminated), could it affect it? He seems normal otherwise. He's on small dose pred 1,25mg and Ursodiol nightly (been on Ursodiol for 5 months now).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Musiaka recently had fleas (now exterminated), could it affect it?
Hi
It could, some cats are sensitive to flea bites.
Did you use a flea repellant on him?
Is the pred. new?

I'd mention this to your vet, and see if you can get him to drink more to help flush his urinary system;
We particularly like the baby food soup in this house :), plus if your cat doesn't have kidney issues you might look into Hydra Care although some vets suggest it even then.
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

Is the ursodiol for his liver? Did your vet talk about milk thistle to help support his liver?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pred can make a cat thirsty which could lead to drinking more water, and perhaps more urine in the litter box in between cleanings is causing the smell.

Pred can lead to diabetes, which can also affect the smell of urine. Dehydration can also be a cause. Kidney issues can impact urine odor. Diets that are high in chicken protein can lead to a higher concentration of urea in the urine, which increases the odor level.

Go over any recent changes that you might have made to his food, litter, and water drinking routines, to see if something 'rings a bell'.

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi
It could, some cats are sensitive to flea bites.
Did you use a flea repellant on him?
Is the pred, new?

I'd mention this to your vet, and see if you can get him to drink more to help flush his urinary system;
We particularly like the baby food soup in this house :), plus if your cat doesn't have kidney issues you might look into Hydra Care although some vets suggest it even then.
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake – TheCatSite Articles

Is the ursodiol for his liver? Did your vet talk about milk thistle to help support his liver?
Pred isn't new, he's been on it for a year, mainly on low doses.

I used flea repellant drops on him, the ones that are meant for cats, our vet gave them to me. But it might be that he had fleas for a week or so, could it have affected the smell? He was quite itchy recently and I thought it's because of his winter coat growing.

The only way to make him drink is to squirt water into his mouth. I've tried everything at this point - two water fountains, leaving his favorite glass out, tasty electrolyte drink, soup for cats... ever since he went on wet food only, he won't touch water.

Ursodiol is mainly for his gallstones

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Take a look through that article I posted, there might be some things you haven't tried yet, and the Hydra Care, if your vet is ok with using it, could be something you'd be able to add to his food (a portion at a time and refrigerate the rest til the next meal or day.)

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pred can make a cat thirsty which could lead to drinking more water, and perhaps more urine in the litter box in between cleanings is causing the smell.

Pred can lead to diabetes, which can also affect the smell of urine. Dehydration can also be a cause. Kidney issues can impact urine odor. Diets that are high in chicken protein can lead to a higher concentration of urea in the urine, which increases the odor level.

Go over any recent changes that you might have made to his food, litter, and water drinking routines, to see if something 'rings a bell'.
Thing is, he doesn't touch water and his blood glucose was stable last time we checked (in spring) unless it managed to change now. He's mainly been on very low doses of pred, during the year of pred, he's only been on 5 mg two weeks in total, on 2,5 mg 3 months in total, and the rest 1,25 mg. But I'm planning for glucose checkup soon.

The only change was the fleas really. Same food (monoprotein, turkey), same indifference to water. Except for being very itchy lately and then me discovering the fleas.