Peanuts

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Somebody gave us a five pound bag of raw shelled peanuts. I only know how to make peanut brittle with these and really don't want any of that now. So I want to know how to roast these things. Do you put them in the oven and dry roast or do you put them in a skillet and cook them in oil. Can someone who has done this give me some hints, please?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 We just roasted six pounds of peanuts and two pounds of cashews for Christmas. Hang on a second, let me go talk to Rick.

OK...

For every pound of peanuts, mix one tablespoon of olive oil and one teaspoon of butter (I won't use margarine for nuts; I only use real butter). Pour over the pound of peanuts and roast at preheated 350 F for about 20 minutes or so. Stir them often while roasting and drain them well on paper towels. As soon as you take them out of the oven, sprinkle lightly with salt (not kosher, just regular salt).

Keep a close eye and taste a peanut when you stir. We've found that, even though, they may not be completely finished after the time is up, we take them out anyway, salt them, and drain them well, then put them in the bowl. The heat will keep them cooking. Oh, and don't overcrowd them on your baking sheet; if you try to roast too many at a time, you'll end up roasting the sheet forever. It's really best to do them in batches. And like I said, watch them. They'll burn at the drop of a hat! You'll see them getting darker.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 You can freeze them, too. I keep almonds and pecans in the freezer all the time, but peanuts can be frozen as well. Either freeze them in tightly sealed containers or in ziploc freezer bags and then in tightly sealed containers. It will save them from becoming rancid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester This is nice to know. I will keep the information about freezing them in my mind. Right now, I am hesitant to put anything else in the freezer as we are waiting for some processed venison back from the processing company. I want to be sure I have room for the meat that I have coming. Thank you.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I finally roasted some of these peanuts. I decided to do them on top the stove in my iron skillet. That is how I do pecans and it worked fine. I used olive oil to roast them in, cooked them slowly, turned out on paper towels and salted. Hubby says they are just right. I don't eat nuts.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I roasted our last pound of peanuts this afternoon and also made sugared-cinnamon roasted almonds. They're quite good! I keep a couple bags of raw almonds (from Trader Joe's) in the freezer for almond brittle or whatever I feel like making. Rick is happily munching away.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester They look scrumptious. I wish I could eat nuts, but I try to steer away. If I do, I chew them until they are mush in my mouth before I swallow them.