Peanut - inappropriate urination

peanut59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a 6 year old female rescue from a shelter 2 months ago. and suddenly am having the same issues. You can read her story so I don't have to type it all out but I'm really surprised Peanut exhibiting this behavior. Last night she pulled a towel I had hanging off a chair and peed on it!  Because she came from such an abusive home I try not to punish her - I just call her, she comes to me and I hold the object she has peed on and tell her NO in a firm voice and show her the litter box. There are several clumps I remove every day so I know she also pees in there but am trying to figure out why she pees on random things I leave on the floor. I heard her scratching on something yesterday, got up and she ran off, I went to the deck door and noticed she had turned my small area rug over and peed on that! I am trying not to leave any clothes on the floor but she has peed on my purse, now that stays on the table - thought she did that because she didn't want me to go out - I hate the smell and have to make an extra trip to the laundromat this week - good luck to you!

Last edited by a moderator:

fuzzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Peanut,

Sorry about the delay in response. Have you tried using the litter that is good for kittens? I believe there is more than one brand. I have friend who brought home a rescue who did something very similar. By placing him in a confined area (limit his space) for a few days and giving him the kind of litter designed to attract cats she was able to fix the problem.

It has been my experience, that when introducing a cat to new home to start small. Give them a small areas and allow them to feel secure in that space and then expand their environment.

The frustrating part of my situation is that this is a cat who was raised in this house. Now he is 'coming of age' and he is becoming a bully. He tries to bully everyone, but my older larger males kind of ignore him or cuff him. It my smaller female who is getting stressed. And I swear he seeks her out and backs her down. Then there is the peeing. He is peeing everywhere - but especially in those areas where the other cats have been sleeping - the cat towers (ruined), the sofa, the pillows on my bed and of course there are the curtains.

I have added litter boxes, I have everyone to the vets, I have started to play with him on a daily basis - nothing seems to have even slowed it down. I find fresh pee daily.

Good luck
Fuzzy Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peanut59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is 6.5 years old and is the only cat here. She has had no problem using the litter box (she does use it) but the problem seems to have gotten worse. Thursday night I was getting ready to get to bed, pulled back the covers only to find she had peed right where I lay sideways and watch TV before I go to sleep - she had to get underneath the covers to do that and always lays on top of the knitted blanket, this felt so 'personal' - I changed the sheets and covers, did not lose my cool but did show her the sheets and put her in her big crate for the night with a big cushion - I did not sleep well felt horrible and got up early in the morning, her bedding was dry so I don't believe she has any kind of infection. During the day she lays on my side, she never cries when using the litter box, the items she pees on do not smell like she has an infection (I've had other cats and their urine smells different). I gave her treats on Friday and kept telling her I love her and stroked her fur like I always do. I went to the the other room and came back about ten minutes later and exactly where I sit she peed...why? 

gosalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi, my cat is 6.5 years old and is the only cat here. She has had no problem using the litter box (she does use it) but the problem seems to have gotten worse. Thursday night I was getting ready to get to bed, pulled back the covers only to find she had peed right where I lay sideways and watch TV before I go to sleep - she had to get underneath the covers to do that and always lays on top of the knitted blanket, this felt so 'personal' - I changed the sheets and covers, did not lose my cool but did show her the sheets and put her in her big crate for the night with a big cushion - I did not sleep well felt horrible and got up early in the morning, her bedding was dry so I don't believe she has any kind of infection. During the day she lays on my side, she never cries when using the litter box, the items she pees on do not smell like she has an infection (I've had other cats and their urine smells different). I gave her treats on Friday and kept telling her I love her and stroked her fur like I always do. I went to the the other room and came back about ten minutes later and exactly where I sit she peed...why? 
Urine is used to mark with smell. Your cat is probably trying to make her smell mix in with yours. Perhaps, find items of hers, like the fluffy bed you mentioned, and place it nearby where she's peeing. It doesn't actually have to be the bed, but anything that has her smell on it. It will hopefully let her know that she is welcome in the spaces she seems to feel that she currently isn't.

peanut59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Goslyn, Peanut had the run of the entire place until a few days ago when she really started peeing on my bed and the couch. She was sleeping on my bed, laying on the couch with me all the time and still does during the day. Today she seems much more social and even slept in my arms for a few hours. It's really difficult when you adopt a cat that was so traumatized in her past life,left behind by the people that owned her, was stabbed and has nightmares - I'm doing my best and really appreciate the input from you guys. I just love when she sleeps with me and have not slept well without her the last few nights   :(

fuzzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Peanut,

Think of it as allowing her to learn to feel safe and secure in her space. Start small and when she is using the box and peeing where she should not in that space, then you can expand. I think of it as territory is very important to cats. They need to feel safe in their environment. If she has had a rough start you need to give her a smaller space and time to claim that territory in an appropriate manner. 

Give it time. One of the biggest errors people make when training animals (or themselves actually) is 'too much, too soon, too fast.'

Fuzzycat

peanut59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi FuzzyCat - so are you saying that it's possible that Peanut got over stimulated by all the fun and love she is being given and that = stress to her that causes her to stress out and suddenly start peeing? I looked back at my paperwork and I actually adopted Peanut 11/2/2016. There is one variable I've been trying to ignore but let me throw this out and ask if this has ever happened to anyone -. I don't often have company but I do have a neighbor - an elderly man that comes to visit her and she absolutely LOVES him! I notice after he leaves she is quiet and the next morning she is at the door crying for him - has anyone ever adopted a cat and had your cat fall in love with a visitor? I'm not sure if this is why Peanut is doing this but my neighbor is always asking me to let Peanut visit - That's around the time Peanut started peeing in spots here - should I let Peanut visit and see if the behavior stops? My neighbor knows all about her problems and loves my cat too - I'm afraid Peanut may not want to come back with me but I only want what will make her happy. Thoughts?

fuzzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Peanut,

Not exactly. I suspect she has not yet learned to feel safe and secure in your home. This has nothing to do with you and what you are doing with her. For some animals it can take time for them to adjust to a new home. And by 'time' I mean it could take months. It depends on her and what she went through before she came to you. 

Her peeing on things could be her way of saying she is feeling insecure. She is telling you the only way she knows how. She needs a chance to take ownership of her environment and the best way to help her do that is to confine her in a smaller space. Don't give her the run of the house. 

You still need to spend time with her, talk to her, let her lap you etc. You don't ignore her but let her become accustomed to one smaller space first. When she is consistently using the litter box and is not peeing on clothing you dropped, then you know she is ready to add a room to her space.

You need to learn to listen to her needs and let her dictate the time table. 

I also strong recommend you try changing your litter to the kind that is designed to attract kittens. There are several different brands. Even if it is more expensive, if it works it is worth it. You probably won't have to use it forever. 

The other thing I recommend is because she is a she, take her to the vets and have them give them her a look. Females can be more susceptible to urinary track infections than boys (although I think boys are more prone to crystals - but don't quote me on that). Make sure she is not peeing for health reasons. 

I know it is a lot of work now, but the time you spend will pay off in terms of working out a great relationship with her that will last for many years. I expect all my cats to live to a minimum of 17 years old (have had two that made it to 20). This is a long term relationship.

Oh, I doubt she likes your neighbor better. She just is still confused about who she belongs to.

Fuzzycat

peanut59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone - I thought long and hard about this and decided to try something. My neighbor called and asked to see Peanut again. I asked him if he'd like me to bring her down there and he got all excited and said yes!  He is a lonely elderly man so I put Peanut in her crate and brought her downstairs to see what would happen. We had coffee and talkedand just as I thought Peanut went right to Robbie and rubbed all over him then proceeded to look around the place. We talked for two hours and when it was time for me to go back upstairs I asked Peanut do you want to come with me? She jumped on Robbie's lap and sat with him. I laughed and said 'ok I'll check back later' and went back upstairs. That was two days ago. I have checked on Peanut every day - I can see how happy she is there, wagging her tail again and Robbie tells me she is sleeping on his bed and has NOT pee'd once!  I think following my intuition was the right thing to do. I can visit Peanut any time I want and told Robbie I'd help him with her litterbox and bring down the litter bag and food I had just bought.  My heart tugs of course but doing what was right far outweighs seeing Peanut go from a happy cat to acting up and peeing. I always feel you have to look at this like a little kid and think 'why is this behavior happening, what is different or changed'?  I knew she had fallen in love with Robbie, it just took me some time to accept that fact and once I did and gave it a try it seems to have been the right thing. I'll keep you guys posted on her progress and thanks for all your advice

peanut59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone - It's been another few days now since Peanut had been downstairs with Robbie, my 70 year old neighbor and she is just so happy there. I check to make sure he is giving her water and the food and changing the litter - I gave him both, he is doing an excellent job, no sign of peeing anywhere! Peanut is always laying on his bed which he keeps in his livingroom,wagging her tail and almost looks like she is smiling. I'll go over to pet her and ask if she likes living with Robbie and she will rub her head in the palm of my hand but does not want to follow me home or does not cry for me like she did for Robbie. I didn't see any comments and would appreciate your thoughts. I do feel I did the right thing for Peanut, I do love her but what can I say? The heart wants what the heart wants!

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
peanut59 peanut59
I think you've found the ideal situation for Peanut. She sounds like she's found her soulmate and is thriving.

It's heartbreaking that you tried so hard to integrate this lovely dear into your household. You have a heart full of love for her, and you wanted her to love you.

It's hard, but you already know the answer. You can visit Peanut, and be sure all her physical needs are met.

Robbie has been blessed with a wonderful kitty who will add life and love to his days. Just think of the joy you've added to this kind man's life. There have been many studies done that show the benefits of pet ownership for older people.

Give yourself a little time, then wander back to the shelters and see if you are drawn to another kitty. I would make sure your house is scrubbed top to bottom before you bring another kitty home.

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for letting Peanut go. Your love for her is so important you gave her up. Nice you are able to visit and check on her progress.

peanut59

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the kind reply. If any of you saw how happy Peanut is with Robbie I'm sure you would make the same sacrifice no matter now painful. It took me some time to get there but obviously it was the answer - No bad behavior, no peeing, and they are like two peas in a pod. My sister takes in rescues and while I am not ready yet, maybe in 6 months or so I will be. I still kind of feel like the girl that was dumped by her boyfriend lol but I know I did the right thing