Pawley - and all of us - could use your vibes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not heard of Alaskan essences, but here are a few links that explain what the Bach flower essences are used for.  It's interesting that the Bach flower essences for Pawley are very similar to what I have used on Marvin. 

http://www.littlebigcat.com/behavior/do-it-yourself-bach-flower-essences/

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-pets-bach-flower/

Interesting, thanks! I looked up the other essences, and found this: https://www.alaskanessences.com/products/

I'm not finding the "Master Quartz" though. Ellen said it is "very powerful" (whatever it is! :lol3: )

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always like to keep track of what essences I am currently using and what they are being used for.  This helps me to pay attention and see if certain behaviors are changing.  It also helps when the treatment bottle is empty for me to see if I still need to continue with the essences and which essences are no longer needed.  I started a bottle of essences for Marvin on 4/1 and last week mixed up another one, but dropped 2 essences and added 2 essences! 

Do you mix the essences in food and/or water?  Do you have add drops to their fur or place in bedding?  I usually add just to food and water.  I have placed drops directly on the fur, but Marvin hates when I do it.  I never found the spray to be very effective. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't mix them. My animal communicator formulated them and sent them.

I am adding to food, water, and put them on my fingers and rub on their scent glands between the eye and ears.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Pawley reintroduction begins.

Yesterday, Shel was on the printer ( the passenger chair, right next to Pawley's cage). So I opened that door enough to get my hand in, and I alternated between brushing Shel and brushing Pawley. We had treats. Everyone was purring up a storm. So I opened the door all the way, and ..... Pawley immediately lunged at Sheldon. :lol3: There was a fair bit of snarling, a blur of helicopter legs and paws, and I said Pawley's name LOUDLY and scooted him back into the cage.

BUT - Shel did not seem at all ruffled or upset. In fact, he hopped right back onto the platform, and walked over to Pawley. He wasn't tail up - but he just was not agitated. Pawley sniffed him from the safety of behind the bars, and Shel just laid down, but not looking at him.

So today I opened the cage door at dinner time. Pawley sat on the condo for a few, and decided to come down to join us. He darted under the couch. Shel jumped down from his eating platform on the tree (I was prepping the meal, no one was eating yet). Shel walked over, checked him out, and laid down and stared at him. (See a pattern here? :flail: ). But no aggressive moves from Pawley. So I called Shel back to his eating spot, and he came. I continued prepping dinner.

Pawley came out, had a leisurely stretch and scratch on the scratcher there, and laid down at the edge of the kitchen, just watching. Billy, who wanders around while dinner is being made, walked over to him, tail up. Pawley did the BLAM BLAM BLAM with his paw, and Billy just stood there and took it. He didn't move, and his tail stayed up. So I reached down to pet Billy to tell him WHAT a good boy he is, and he was purring and rubbing his head in my hand. Pawley took the opportunity to cautiously approach, and sniff Billy's head all over - his ears, nose, scent glands - a real, detailed inspection. And Billy just let him and kept purring. And that was that.

I finished getting dinner ready, and put it out. Pawley waited his turn without going nuts, and waited at his spot. :)

Spooky wasn't already in her spot. When she came, she had to pass Pawley to climb the tree. She looked at him, stopped, and then just kept going. He made no moves, and she didn't scream at him.

During dinner, Flowerbelle, as usual, was done first. She walked over to the couch to get down - and had to walk past Pawley to get to the bathroom (which is where she goes to hang out after dinner). She hesitated - thought about it - and decided it was safe as he was preoccupied eating. She didn't dart past him, but just walked, and he didn't bother with her. So that was good, too!

After dinner, Shel had left two little bites, so I used that to "walk" Pawley back up and around into his cage.

I think we're going to continue at this pace, and not just open the door and let him out for periods of time. Rather, open the door for specific things. Meals, treats, and play. Little, hopefully mostly positive encounters.

I think Billy is going to be the key. He just is so determined to make ALL cats his friend, he's just not going to let Pawley bother him. And Pawley has a VERY big pesonality. Shel may not "win" this "dominance" battle, and they may have quite a few more scraps to go before Shel lets it go. I don't know. But at this point, Shel *seems* to be the only point of friction. He wants Pawley to acknowledge his place - and I'm not so sure that's going to happen. ;)

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think Billy is going to be the key. He just is so determined to make ALL cats his friend, he's just not going to let Pawley bother him. And Pawley has a VERY big pesonality. Shel may not "win" this "dominance" battle, and they may have quite a few more scraps to go before Shel lets it go. I don't know. But at this point, Shel *seems* to be the only point of friction. He wants Pawley to acknowledge his place - and I'm not so sure that's going to happen.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is a real sweetheart. :heart2:

He's STILL trying to get Lazlo to be his friend. It's been 5.5 years. And every once in a while, Lazlo just gives in and gives him a few licks on the head. I'm not sure it's worth all the blams in the face, but... that's up to Bill. ;)

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is a real sweetheart.

He's STILL trying to get Lazlo to be his friend. It's been 5.5 years. And every once in a while, Lazlo just gives in and gives him a few licks on the head. I'm not sure it's worth all the blams in the face, but... that's up to Bill.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The social dynamics are hysterical. So it's Shel vs. Pawley then, huh? I'm glad he didn't go at Flowerbelle again.

When the three of mine are going at it, I swear it's like I have kids. The "disagreement" is usually between two of them, and then the third has to get involved...just because.  

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think we're going to continue at this pace, and not just open the door and let him out for periods of time. Rather, open the door for specific things. Meals, treats, and play. Little, hopefully mostly positive encounters.

I think Billy is going to be the key.
I couldn't help but laugh at the BLAM BLAM BLAM..... :anon: AWWWWWWW BILLY.... :rub: :rub: :heart3: I think he is going to be the one who "breaks" Pawley into giving in TO TRUSTING his new family. Each and everyone of his siblings. :nod: I think your new plan and new pace to the next round of intros is brilliant. Little by little, inch by inch, you will all get there. Of course, there will be a few setbacks like the little tumble with Shel and Pawley BUT WOW on how Shel handled it. :shocker: Wonderful, GOOD BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

I think this is a very, very positive and encouraging update. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: that this continues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hugs: :heart2:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PROGRESS. :D

At dinner time dinner tonight (we call every meal dinner :lol3: ), Pawley did the usual - out of cage, down the steps, duck into litter box under the steps. Peer out - dart under the couch. Awwwww.............. but after a minute or two, he comes out, has a scratch, and then sits or lies down at the edge of the kitchen area. Billy, as usual, walks over to him. Tonight, no wapping! He raised his paw - and Billy stood there as per usual. Pawley just looked at him, and his paw started to go BLAM - but he restrained himself. He STOPPED 1/3 into the wap! His paw was making slight motions TO blam Billy - but no blam! :clap: :clap: :clap: I leaned down to pet both of them - which I was able to do with one hand, because they both leaned into it. So they were practically rubbing cheeks. :D

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woo: SUPER no BLAM BLAM BLAM contact. :lol2: Just a mear ;) thought - an "air blam".... :lol3: OH I hope things stay progressing positively. :vibes::vibes::vibes: :hugs:

Last edited:

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I manage and care for a colony of 50+ feral cats so I know the frustration and sadness of wanting to help and not being able to. Sending loving vibes to Pawley that he will trust just a tiny bit more so you can catch him. 

When I started caring for the colony and had some of the feral cats that I just could not trap, I felt utterly hopeless, Finally, I made a simple drop trap myself out of chicken wire and galvanized pipe. It was so crude looking, but it worked! That trap has since moved on to another TNR lady who has trapped probably 25 cats with it. It is so ugly, she can leave it out anywhere to trap, and no one would ever think of taking it!.

I don't quite understand why you feel you cannot trap on the deck? Could you explain further about that?

Now I leave out traps, both the Have a Heart kind and drop traps at the feeding stations. They are set up as "open" traps. ie. they are wired open, or, in the case of the drop traps, they rest on a large Rubber Made plastic tub.

I feed under or in those traps every day, so the cats don't pay any attention to them, and consider them part of their feeding stations. That way, when I need to trap one, it is easy to do. I would do that with your Pawley. Secure a Have a Heart open with wire. Start feeding just outside the open trap, and each day move the bowl of food further and further in to the back of the trap. When he has been feeding contentedly at the back of the trap for a few days, then set the trap. 

I have had 100% success with this method. I hope this will help. Hugs to Pawley and you for trying to hard to care for him.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi supermax1943 supermax1943 ! THANK YOU for caring for *so many* ferals! :rub:

Actually, the issue with trapping Pawley was that he never left underneath our home. So we couldn't "trap" anywhere, a trap doesn't fit under there. In the end, I scruffed him into a carrier mid-January, the morning the freezing front was due to arrive. He's been vetted and living inside with us since, and is slowly learning how to be part of the family of kitties. He makes #9 inside our small home (all feral rescues, we kept the ones with special needs).

We have a drop trap. But again, if a cat never approaches it, it doesn't matter what type of trap you have. :lol3:

Last edited:

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Laurie,

So sorry my email seems so out of place and time! Somehow I received your original statement just today, which is why I responded. I totally agree that if the trap won't fit, they won't come! That is why I have so many around in areas where they do fit, and essentially use them as feeding areas.

So glad you were able to scruf him and get him inside. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the Pawley reintroduction project is going ... well! Knock wood! We've progressed past opening his cage only for structured time. We're back to opening the door after breakfast, and closing him back in before bed. He does spend some time in there during the day - at times. But he's getting more and more comfortable being out, and the others are being more accepting of his being out. He likes to spend time in the treehouse, up in the front dash, and hangs out in the middle of the living area or kitchen area floors. :) He does dash under the couch when I do things like... put silverware in the drawer. :lol3: But he'll pop right back out.

Shel and Billy take turns hanging out in his cage when Pawley's not in it. :lol3:

He doesn't like Billy in his face ;) , but every once in a while he will give Bill a few licks on the head. !!!

Shel and Pawley aren't "100%," but there has been no more outright aggression. Just a lot of posturing, staring, and wariness. Shel has stopped stalking him all the time, and has returned to sleeping in the bedroom at night! :clap:

From time-to-time he will bolt to a litter box when someone uses it. But he no longer attacks, he stands and watches. All I have to do is say "Pawley" in a firm voice, and he leaves them alone.

Every once in a while he'll chase after a rapidly moving cat (such as when they bolt out of the litter box). But he doesn't pursue them to the point of attack. It's mostly Flowerbelle or Ming Loy, and all Flowerbelle does is jump up on the box we have sitting in front of the stove, and Pawley leaves her be. Ming Loy he tackled once, and she screamed such bloody murder, I don't think he wants to actually tackle her again. :lol3: (No one got hurt in that exchange).

He is definitely a TWO YEAR OLD kitty. He has so much energy, and spending a lot of time playing with him I'm sure is helping. OH! He takes turns now. And while he does dance on his back feet when I prep dinner (SO DARN CUTE), he does wait his turn and doesn't try to grab every dish as I put them out. :D

So... little by little! He's come REALLY far this past two weeks!

Last edited:

sweetthangtx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm s proud of Pawley He really has come such a long way.

I'm in the midst of a kitten adventure just now. My son has a derelict truck at his house. He didn't have one window completely closed. He is not a cat fan. When I told him one time how much I spent on a feral cat at the emergency vet he said " Mom, those cats are NOT an endangered species.

Naturally, when the neighbors cat had kittens she chose his truck as one of her nests. He didn't realize it right away. I think the kittens are about 5 weeks old now. Last week we took the three that we could grab out of the truck and moved them, with mom, to another nest. Mom is not feral. She will come when we call her but does resent it if her kittens seem to be in danger.

The problem now is that there are two kittens that are outside the truck and there were two inside. We are in south Texas and the car is going to be a death trap for any kitten that can't get out if the truck. My son and grandson and I were able to grab one that was in the truck today. The other one got up inside the dashboard and was unreachable. The two kittens that are outside if the truck are faster and maybe smarter than we are.

I volunteered to take the kittens to socialize them and my son will find homes for them. Mom will come home with me to be spayed and the. I'll take her back to her original home

When I left my son's house today I needed to stop at the grocery store for kitten supplies. I had the kitten in a carrier and since it was too hot to leave her in the car I just snuck her into the store with her carrier in fhe cart. She was fine for a little while but started a faint " mew mew mew" in the produce section. Thank goodness for Muzak and noisy carts. The gal at the checkout noticed the carrier in my cart. I just looked at her and put my fore finger to my lips and made the " shhhh" sound.

I think our next step is to put mamma cat in a trap and use hrs as bait for the kittens. We will put the second trap butted up to the one she is in. If we cover both traps the kittens won't realize that there is a barrier between them and their mom. I foresee this as a long process. Please keep your fingers crossed for us.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWWWW Pawley !!!!!!!!!!! Such a wonderful and fantastic update !!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like things are really on the upswing and going well considering. :nod: Poor Mingle... BUT good for her screaming her face off at Pawley and that he received the message loud and clear. :lol2: :clap: He is going to test the waters with everyone he can to figure out his place and to get to know everyone little by little. He just sounds SOOOOO sweet and I can try to picture him dancing for dinner. How very amazing that he has come so far since his capture. Your certainly working your magic, sweetie. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :heart3: :lovegrin: AND, so is the whole gang. Everyone is working so hard to make this work and learning to move slowly, not rapidly. ;) :lol2:

Last edited:

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From time-to-time he will bolt to a litter box when someone uses it. But he no longer attacks, he stands and watches. All I have to do is say "Pawley" in a firm voice, and he leaves them alone.
Oh, this made me giggle! I am glad to hear the reintroductions are going well! :clap: A lot of Pawley's adjustments sound very similar to what we went through when Pooper arrived. The older kitties were definitely not amused with her boundary testing/pushing, antics and flying tackles. They would try to be nice to her, and then she would do something obnoxious to mess it up! And especially the litterbox stalking...maybe that is a weirdo tuxedo kitty thing? :lol3: Poops also went from attacking the other cats in the box to just supervising while the others do their business. Pooper and Pawley even look like little twins!

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh S sweetthangtx MEGA vibes that works and sooner rather than later! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: Your son may not be a "cat person," but he obviously cares. :heart2:

Lauren, this kitty is smart, funny, sweet, playful - and definitely part imp. :lol3: Honestly, I really DO think part of what he's going through is just learning how to be a cat! ;)

And happybird, Pooper is SO DARN CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thud: Yeah, I love B&W kitties. Yes, I think we have plenty more boundary testing to go, and that is just exactly it! *Most* of them are trying to be nice - or at least just avoid him :lol3: - and yep, he has to keep doing obnoxious things. Of course - Billy is bound and determined to make him a friend, and he may just not WANT to be. Lazlo doesn't! And Bill still hasn't given up on him. So Billy can be an annoying in-your-face kind of kitty in his efforts at friend conversion.

Cats. Gotta love 'em! :D