Pawing My Face As A New Habit

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I have mentioned in different threads my cat Cucumella is very gentle and affectionate and has never shown any signs of aggressiveness either towards me or anybody else during the 6 years she has been with me. She is almost 15 years old now. She loves to be cuddled and won't miss any opportunity to lie on my lap or next to me. The new thing in her attitude is that for the last few weeks she will often unexpectedly throw a paw up to my face in what seems an affectionate gesture. But her claws being sharp I end up with little holes on my cheeks which although very tiny they hurt and are visible. The problem is that I have never clipped her nails because she was already 9 years old when she came to me and she had never experienced such a treatment and hated it.

Pawing my arm or hand to attract my attention is something she has always done, what is NEW now is throwing up her paw to my face when she is comfortably and happily lying on my lap or my chest. My question is if this is a common gesture cats develop when they are aging. Would very much appreciate any info in this respect.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd say it is her new attention getting gesture. Each cat is uniquely themselves and I don't think I've had one who specifically with agestarted doing that. Since she is scratching you I would react with a no and ignoring her. Just because she needs to learn No claws. For my guys I gently squeeze their paw to indicate the claw itself is the problem and the next reach is usually without claw. But that reaction is something I have reinforced since kittenhood and they know what it means.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.Thanks Kieka. I will, of course, do as you say. Since she has never done this before in all these years I'm hoping she'll get soon out of it before it becomes a fixed habit even without her claws out She doesn't actually scratch but offers a quick light pat resulting in a tiny red hole. It would seem part of her increased need for contact. For instance she has always slept stretched out NEXT to me with her head on her front paws but lately she cuddles AGAINST my body with her head on my shoulder or chest.

Last edited:

MoxieinMaine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old kitten had started doing the same thing recently, seemingly out of nowhere. It was definitely an attention seeking behavior, as she would do it in the early morning - "feed me/play with me mom". It was a little disconcerting to be woken up by little needles in my face :rolleyes2: I definitely think ignoring it is the way to go. I ended up taking her out of the room and shutting the door anytime she'd start and eventually she got the point. I also showered her with attention when she was sitting quietly with me. It didn't take her too long to figure it out, so hopefully it will work out well with your kitty too.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say it is her new attention getting gesture. Each cat is uniquely themselves and I don't think I've had one who specifically with agestarted doing that. Since she is scratching you I would react with a no and ignoring her. Just because she needs to learn No claws. For my guys I gently squeeze their paw to indicate the claw itself is the problem and the next reach is usually without claw. But that reaction is something I have reinforced since kittenhood and they know what it means.
Gently squeezing the offending paw worked/works with Gypsy. When she is totally relaxed, what I call her melted butter state, I can trim the tips of her naiis.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My snugly cat Salem developed the habit of lightly tapping my lip with the barest hint of a claw (I have some facial numbness) to wake me up. I pet him as I fall asleep & he wakes me as I start to drift off. I got him to stop mostly by blowing on him when he taps my lip.