Pawing door at night (please please please help)

cay23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have two cats (Maine Coon and domestic) and every night the Coon will paw my bedroom door or cupboard. He doesn't use claws, but it's enough to make a scratching sound that wakes me up in the middle of the night, and the other cat is starting to pick up this behaviour. 

I thought it was because my bedroom door was shut, but opening hasn't fixed it. I wear him out every night with extensive play and then a feed (I got told this behaviour mimicked a hunt, eating the 'kill' and then clean and nap time). He has access two giant scratching posts (but again, it's not scratching but pawing). I have put Eucalytpus oil on the door every night (he hates the smell) but he still does it, and have tried squirting him with a water bottle. I have also tried simply getting up and locking him in the bathroom (where his litterbox and water is), which shows he doesn't get attention from waking me up.

He knows he isn't meant to because he runs away every time I get up to scold him. I am seriously at my wits end as every night at 5am I am woken up by this. It is starting to take an impact on my relationship too as my partner doesn't particularly like cats and doesn't like staying over because of this. 

Please help (or make suggestions as to where I can get help) as if this keeps up, I may have to get rid of him and that is an absolute last resort.

Thanks everyone for their help

paml

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long did you try putting him in the bathroom for? A few nights? Because cats take longer to train then dogs.  You need to stay consistent with what you do.
You need to choose a course of action and stick to it.  Either he gets put in another room at night OR you spray him each time he tries to make the noise. You could try sticky paws on the door and cupboard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cay23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have done the bathroom thing for weeks in a row. Thats what i mean when i say he knows he is being naughty; he runs away when i try to grab him. I cant change the door but he does it on metal cupboards and wood. Will look into the sticky paw thing

paml

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did it by chance start when the boyfriend started staying over?? Cats know right away when a non cat lover is around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cay23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does it regardless of whether the boyfriend stays over or not. The boyfriend was here first though. Have had the cat nearly year and it's a habit that disappeared for a few weeks and is unfortunately back again. 

I don't understand what he is trying to achieve. He has toys, a kitty friend, food, water, clean litter, two giant cat trees, is played with frequently, and knows he will get in trouble. 

Will try the sticky paws and see how it goes