Pawing around food bowl

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all... as many of you know, I have a new kitty in the house. :)

I've noticed that Callie will eat about half of her food, and then paw around her bowl and begin walking away.  If I move my hand near the bowl, she comes running back to finish.  I end up sitting with her and moving her bowl around until she finishes, which is a little time consuming.  (Coco, on the other hand, will sit on the side waiting for an opportunity to dash in and steal some of Callie's food!)

What does this behavior mean?  Is Callie trying to save her food for later?  I can't imagine her not realizing that Coco will come eat it for her the moment she turns away if I'm not around...

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many cats do this. One of mine used to do it a lot when we first got her.  

It is because they are "hiding" it from predators.  Or, they think they are.  It's a behavior you'll see in wild cats.  

Of course, there's no need for domesticated cats to do this but they don't know it LOL.  Some do it all the time, others now and then. I think ours stopped because she eventually realized her food source was safe and constant.

There are times when it might also mean the food is "bad" but in my personal experience they will do this right away if that's the case, and not walk back for more.  Kind of like turning up your nose at spoiled food.

BTW, both of mine will poach each other's food.  Or, if I pick up a half eaten bowl and put it back down again suddenly it's like a totally new bowl of food.  Cats are really strange at times!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Or, if I pick up a half eaten bowl and put it back down again suddenly it's like a totally new bowl of food.  Cats are really strange at times!
Yes, THIS!!!

I'm just wondering if this behavior should be telling me anything about how much she likes that particular meal.  There are times when she won't paw around the bowl, and times when she does!

I'm a student teacher on spring break this week, and I go back to work next week.  I won't have as much time to sit with Callie and make sure that she finishes her food... and Coco, while not fat, could stand to lose a tiny bit of weight.  Sigh.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Many cats do this. One of mine used to do it a lot when we first got her.  

It is because they are "hiding" it from predators.  Or, they think they are.  It's a behavior you'll see in wild cats.  

Of course, there's no need for domesticated cats to do this but they don't know it LOL.  Some do it all the time, others now and then. I think ours stopped because she eventually realized her food source was safe and constant.
Also, this was interesting, since Callie was living outside before she arrived at the shelter.  Perhaps she'll stop eventually now that she has a safe home. :)

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Also, this was interesting, since Callie was living outside before she arrived at the shelter.  Perhaps she'll stop eventually now that she has a safe home. :)
Our girl (also a Coco) was a rescue.  We're not sure how long but she was quite underweight when we adopted her.  You could feel her backbone easily.  So, her food source probably was precarious.  It makes sense that she'd exhibit this behavior and I'd think Callie would as well.  But that isn't a sure thing - lots of cats do this that have had consistent food from kittenhood too.  It's just hardwired into them.

I hear you about not being home to monitor the food. We have the same issue here. Casper is older and his eating habits aren't the best now.  We leave the house way before 7am. My finance usually comes home around 5 or so but that's a lot of hours to be without a nosh.  We always leave down a small amount of kibble for them but have no idea who is eating it or how much each one is.  Neither are wasting away so we can only assume they are getting what they need.

BTW it could be that the food you're serving is the reason but honestly, I doubt it. If it is eaten most of the time then Callie is ok with it.  

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

BTW it could be that the food you're serving is the reason but honestly, I doubt it. If it is eaten most of the time then Callie is ok with it.  
Well, I officially know that it is not the food I'm serving... I tried giving both Coco and Callie Primal raw pheasant this morning, and they do NOT like the pheasant.  At least now I know how Callie behaves when she doesn't like a certain food!  They both liked the beef & salmon though :)