Paw Tapping ?

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do some cats learn how to tap you with their paws for attention ?

I've had four cats over the years two were not paw tappers , but my late Merlin and now Tippi have this behaviour , it's paw tapping on my harm for food and it's face tapping to wake me up in the morning .

I can see it's to gain your attention , but why don't all cats do this behaviour ?

Another thing I've noticed is Merlin never did it to family or friends and Tippi doesn't do it to anyone else but me , so their as to be some kind of bonding happening here ?

Do your cats do the paw tapping thing

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, all of them do. Spice also tries to push her cold, wet nose under your arm when she wants to be petted.  Julie will tap my arm, and put her claws out a little more each time if I ignore her.  Sugar is a face tapper, Sheba likes to tap my arm, and Silly will tap anywhere skin is exposed.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I suspect it's just something the try to see if it works. We didn't have any paw-tappers until we got Random. He taps you for everything, and now Wendel's started doing - likely because he saw that it works for Random. My guess as to why all cats don't do it is they find something else that works for them. My Freya used to just plant herself in front of you and meow - Sybil still does this. Cotton used to ram his head into you until you paid attention. Likely they just try things until something works for them and some cats try paw tapping earlier in the process.

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No. Whitney touches with her paw for love though. But that rough tongue comes out when she wants to eat or a treat. I get my face licked vigorously in the morning when her tummy is rumbly and on my hand the rest of the day if the bowl is empty.

And when she has to come in after a walk or I over brush her I get a mean growl.

Last edited:

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Minnie used to tap my mouth in the middle of the night when she wanted to eat and other times "just because" [emoji]128522[/emoji]

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very observant animals.  They watch us and learn how to do things... This is how they can open doors and such.  Paw tapping is no different.  Mine will do it not only to get my attention to tell me they are hungry, need fresh water, but also to let me know they want me to pet them.  Not all do this, but many do.  Its just a way of communicating with us and showing affection, as well... Behaviorists believe it is kind of like their version of a hand hold or petting you back.  So it's also a bonding tool for them. 

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Walter, when petting, cuddling or any attention... his right paw/arm goin in rhythm with my scratching or petting. He does it sometimes when my husband gives him affection.
Sometimes, he lays on my chest and out comes the arm/paw. Lol. Like he claws/paws in thin air when he wants attention.

No. Whitney touches with her paw for love though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Our last cat, Jamie, was constantly tapping us for attention, petting or food, and would reach out and stroke my face when he was feeling particularly affectionate. If a "poke" with his paw didn't wake me up, he'd put his whole paw in my mouth. Mogli tends to head butt rather than tap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tippi this morning tapping my hand
It struck me from looking at this picture there are two things going on with this behaviour touch and sight , she's clearly looking for a response , so she's communicating on two levels.

This would indicate to me that there is some kind of thought process going on ?

Tippi is a year old she didn't start tapping until she was around nine month she never met Merlin so she didn't learn it from him and my other cat Tallulah doesn't do it .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

merlin2000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Cats are very observant animals.  They watch us and learn how to do things... This is how they can open doors and such.  Paw tapping is no different.  Mine will do it not only to get my attention to tell me they are hungry, need fresh water, but also to let me know they want me to pet them.  Not all do this, but many do.  Its just a way of communicating with us and showing affection, as well... Behaviorists believe it is kind of like their version of a hand hold or petting you back.  So it's also a bonding tool for them.
I agree that it is a bonding tool .

There is a lot of affection that goes with this behaviour , but when you consider that they can use there paws for other things like attacking it's remarkable how gentle they can be when they want something

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree that it is a bonding tool .

There is a lot of affection that goes with this behaviour , but when you consider that they can use there paws for other things like attacking it's remarkable how gentle they can be when they want something
I'm on board with the bonding tool explanation, too. And also agree that it is amazing that the same furry warm paw tapping us could be a devastating weapon with just a little more claw out. Just imagine a tiger's paw. They can hold down a cub for a vigorous washing with no damage, and the next minute be hamstringing a water buffalo.

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting thoughts on bonding. Walter always taps either me or the air when with me. Always. Never with claws, always very softly.
With dh, it is very rare. I have seen him do it. He isn't as attached to dh or my kids.

I have not seen the girls do it. Not to say they don't. I am going to try and pay more attention. Especially Mew who is the most affectonate to the whole family.
Walter is the baby of the bunch by a few weeks. We adopted him as soon as he could eat wet food. Foster mom said he was barely, if 3 weeks old at the time. He is now around 16 weeks.