Paw sucking

ambabe90210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bandit has begun suckling on his paw pads the last couple of days, I've never seen him do it before, but he does seem to love it... Purrs like a little engine lol.

Is it something I should worry about and/or discourage??? if so any ideas on how?

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ambabe90210

Bandit has begun suckling on his paw pads the last couple of days, I've never seen him do it before, but he does seem to love it... Purrs like a little engine lol.

Is it something I should worry about and/or discourage??? if so any ideas on how?
As long as the cat is a kitten/young adult cat (6 months or less) then it is almost definitely not something to worry about. In fact your cat will likely grow out of it. But even if the cat does not, it is still likely a harmless activity.

Now if it is an adult cat and this behavior suddenly happened I have seen in veterinary practices and shelter cats do this when they have a paw pad injury, allergy (litter or feed/diet), or some type of foreign body stuck in the the foot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ambabe90210

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm interesting you mention a litter allergy as a possible problem, I shall keep an eye on that as I've just changed litter (they didn't have my usual one in)

However he is only 8 weeks old so it may just be a kitten thing

Thanks guys