Paw Pads Changing Color

Kwood0015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi All

Pele has recently been diagnosed with IBD or lymphoma (going to oncologist Tuesday). He has been on steroids (10mg per day) and today he has been withdrawn and sleeping a lot ...I noticed his paw pads used to be black and now are a pinkish/light brown color - can’t find anything online to help determine what this is? Wondering if I need to take him to the vet tomorrow?

Thanks
K and Pele

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats with IBD and/or Lymphoma can sometimes develop anemia secondary to chronic inflammatory disease...which your cat has.

The signs of lethargy, plus change in paw color suggest possible anemia. With a cat who has pink paw pads, anemia will show as pale paw pads. A better indicator in your case would be gums. I would peel back his lips and check his gums. If pale, this could possibly indicate anemia. I would recommend seeing your vet.

Your vet would do bloodwork, specifically checking PCV (packed cell volume) and Hematocrit.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It isn't unheard of for this to happen as cats age and grow, and cats CAN have vitiligo, however, with your cat's other health issues, I would take the "Better safe than sorry" route and see your vet, or at the very least call him, explain what is happening and ask if Pele should be seen.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat naturally has white gums...I freaked out once over it. I also noticed his nose changed colors over time where black blotches appeared (I looked at past photos). I think cats can change colors, or their paw pads get dirty or calloused. However, given his health issues, it could be something else as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kwood0015

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone - much appreciated! vet said it’s prob due to some immune response (prob bc of IBD/lymphoma) - and oddly steroids should help treat, which he’s on now ...just hope it doesn’t get painful for him, he’s going thru enough right now :-(