Paw Clapping

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! 

I adopted a new kitten a few months ago, and now he's started to clap! From time to time, he would sit down on a high surface, usually my CPU (because I have it on my desk) and he just starts putting his front paws together in a clapping motion, without the sound.

I've finally managed to record him doing it, because every time I would try he would stop... lol. I've uploaded the video to youtube so you guys can watch it: 
Does anyone have any idea why he does this?

alainasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm by far not sure about this, but it looks like he's licking his lips while clapping. Is he trying to catch something, i.e. an insect or other tiny floating object? I've only heard of a couple instances where cats clap their paws and it's normally because they're trying to reach something that they want to catch in the air.

The video made me smile - you have an adorable kitty. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Remember that you can reinforce that behavior by having a treat bag nearby, and giving him a treat with praises when he starts doing it. Pretty soon he'll do it more often, and spontaneously in hopes of getting rewarded!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes! I will get some treats to hopefully teach him to do it on command. And no, there are no insects or anything flying around which is why I'm so perplexed about it. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yes! I will get some treats to hopefully teach him to do it on command. And no, there are no insects or anything flying around which is why I'm so perplexed about it. 
Cats are weird. Mine randomly bunny kicks himself, and then acts startled.

alainasmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Cats are weird. Mine randomly bunny kicks himself, and then acts startled.
LoL! 
 @icy87  It might just be part of his natural instincts. If you train him to do it on command, he can be the star of the show for any of your house guests!