Patella Luxation Surgery

Carolyn&Tippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings All,
This is my first post! I hope those who have gone through this with their cats might chime in. My cat is scheduled for right patella repair on 5/19, and I have a bazillion questions. I need to come back later with questions that haven’t been answered from searching/reading posts on this topic.

“9 years ago I entered uncharted territory when I agreed to foster a kitty who was, without doubt, semi-feral. Tippie had a traumatic start in life as a victim of gun violence, leaving her blind in one eye. I vigilantly cared for Tippie after a surgery to remove her eye, and tirelessly gave reasons to trust so she could quickly get adopted.
CC0A2D40-166C-4692-8870-44A022410C1B.jpeg

Ultimately, we formed such a close bond that left us with no other choice except to continue our adventures together. So – she adopted me on Valentine’s day 2013!
39C00C0A-DD31-46BD-9E6F-3078B59EB76B.jpeg

You'll be happy to know that Tippie makes up for the missing eye by sporting extra toes, along with an incredibly spirited and mischievous personality!
11199FAD-5A52-48AE-9199-7657484AD31F.jpeg

She unexpectedly filled a void in my heart after losing another cat of 18-years, and so I promised to always love and protect Tippie from harm.
8CC15EFB-6FFF-45D7-9909-5C94D580A415.jpeg

It breaks my heart to watch this lively girl revert to living under a bed - not understanding why her leg gives out, why she can't walk or jump, and why she is confined to a room for her own safety.

On Friday 4/10/2020, Tippie was playing in another room. I decided to join the fun, only to find her on the floor, sitting in a strange position and unable to walk. After two visits to the ER + her regular vet, we were referred to a surgeon at the University of Minnesota Small Animal Hospital. There, she was diagnosed with patellar luxuations (kneecaps partially dislocate), a rare condition in cats. Tippie's right knee is severe enough that walking can oftentimes be impossible.”

I’ll add - Tippie has grade 2, but after seeing video of Tippie walking, the surgeon recommended surgery asap. Bilateral is an option, but we’re just going with the right since it’s most debilitating. Although the surgeon considers this urgent, we still can’t get in for 3 weeks.

Since I wrote the above information 2 weeks ago, Tippie is doing a little better. She’s learned to adapt and rest, when her leg gives out. Tippie is quite stubborn, so when she feels a little better, no barricade will stop her from trying to jump. In fact, I think my attempts made it worse. Her curiosity, frustration, and then attention-seeking behavior led to more jumping attempts gone awry. I’ve now cleared the couch and a chair in the bedroom. This is not ideal from the standpoint of ‘don't exacerbate the injury’. Nor is it 100% satisfactory in her eyes. I do think this strategy has reduced stress/anxiety and eliminated potential falls. She’s stopped hiding under the bed, and actually seems to rest more because things are more normal and she’s comfortable.

anyways, let’s consider this part 1 of our post. I just wanted to introduce ourselves. I’ll add to this later tonight or tomorrow with more detail about her condition and actual question.

thanks for listening! I hope you are all staying healthy!

-Carolyn and Tippie

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The infamous Rare Luxating Patella

Welcome to TCS What a handsome cat and I am so glad you have found each other. I have no experience with this. I have provided a link to a long thread that has been added to by different people who have dealt with this and went different routes as far as dealing with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carolyn&Tippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Thank you for the reference to additional posts on this topic. They're actually what led me to this site in the first place!
Let me first apologize for the length of this post. Many questions, and a history that needs to be shared so questions can be answered with that in mind.

Tippie and I are doing the best we can, adjusting to our new normal. That is, until the next new normal arrives in a few weeks. She has good and bad days. Sometimes good and bad hours. For the most part she rests, but does get a little stir-crazy and naughty.

After her symptoms appeared so suddenly 3-weeks ago, Tippie chose to live under the bed. She would come out on occasion, only to cry out of fear and/or pain when her leg gave out. Five days into this ordeal, she discovered a way to pull herself onto the bed between the wall and pillow. She couldn't go any further than that, so I would put her next to me and we'd sleep the rest of the night together. As Tippie started coming out more often, I purchased a tall baby gate to separate our bedroom + hallway area from the rest of the apartment. This was so much nicer than being shut in a small area of the apartment (for both of us!). Of course, she's the cat who would probably get her stuck in the gate :p . I have a portable/adjustable screen that I use on the lower half as a preventative measure. She shows no indication of wanting to jump over it.

This past week, I've given Tippie more freedom to roam. Although still watching her like a hawk. I'm not excited about making a compromise with jumping, but giving her a few places (even though she needs help half of the time), has really lifted her spirits. I also lift her onto the window perch a few times/day. She's starting to enjoy watching the outside world, despite her lack of independence and my hovering so she won't suddenly jump down if she hears an unexpected noise. For the most part, her tail is up high and she is relaxed.

Walking - as indicated in the video, she has a terrible limp. It seems to come and go. She can walk around half the day without me hearing that "thump". Sometimes her pattern for the day is to alternate between a few normal steps/leg gives out/back to normal steps.. Other times she can limp for days and barely move around. She's having an easier time with the litter-box, but still not regular with bowel movements. Eating has generally been good throughout all of this. She's back to pestering me when it's time for her asthma inhaler (and treats). She's been off the buprenorphine for about 10 days now.

I think what I'm most anxious and have questions about is the recovery. Tippie is not compliant in any way, shape, or form. Never has been. Never will be. The problem, despite being quite affectionate with me, is that her feral tendencies can show when she doesn't get her way. Also when she's afraid, or there's too much change in her surroundings. She's super naughty, requiring me to stay 100 steps ahead of her scheming mind. The surgeon did not specifically mention a crate, rather a small space where she can't jump. That said, I think it's safe to say she'll need to be crated for some length of time. But, I'm concerned Tippie will NOT do well with that plan.

With thunderstorm and firework season approaching, the best area for recovery is in my bedroom where she feels safest. I ordered a 4x4x4 playpen. And also plan to make my own top with some sort of chicken wire because the top only fits the 4x4 configuration. Space won't allow for that in my room. One idea is to clean out my closet (60"x32") and surround it with the pen. Then she has her safe hiding place, but can also come out when comfortable. Depending on my Tetris skills, I can possibly connect another crate to the playpen. Eventually, I'd like to shape the space in a way that she can walk to the small hallway connected to my bedroom.

The problem I just thought of with the closet, at least initially - when she's in the corner, I won't be able to easily monitor whether or not she's doing a Houdini move to get out of the cone. Maybe this idea is better kept once she gets stitches out? I'm beginning to feel like either 2 crates or the 4x4 playpen alone are best for the first two weeks?! I really do need easy access so I can give her asthma inhaler. A place to sit inside with her is ideal. UGH! I wish I had a spare bedroom. Other ideas/thoughts are welcome.

This is not our first rodeo in terms of surgery (eye removal, emergency scope after she ate a toy :( ). However, I'd really like to hear more details about the recovery period for this particular surgery, since it seems so long and intense. Can anyone tell me what to expect, other than 'it's tough' or 'she will be restricted to a crate while progressively allowed to spend time outside of it'?

1. Anything routine that I might not be aware of that will shock me? (e.g., cone, parts of body shaved, can they get around on squishy/uneven surface, or is soft/flat blanket better)
  2. At what point will she be able to put weight on the leg so she's independent to use the litter-box, or go to the food dish? Should I expect a lot of messes/accidents? The litter box stresses me out because we had to switch a while back to a high-side, which usually only come in very large sizes. Not sure how this will fit in a crate. A friend suggested using a hot knife and cutting the entrance so it's lower. I'm going to get a newer box and try this.
  3. Will she even care about being in a crate for the first few days or so? She gets incredibly restless and sometimes quite aggressive as anesthesia wears off, which worries me. If I could afford it and we weren't in the midst of a pandemic, I would request they keep her for a full day or two.
  4. Is there a problem with having some 'toys' like yeowza nanner and or/ soft Kong ball with feathers (she likes to lick these type of objects at times for comfort, I think)?
  5. How many follow-up visits did you have with the surgeon?
  6. What other tips do you have that made your life easier, or supplies that you purchased/wish you had?

For those who made it to the end, and others who are able to take time to share your experience, I greatly appreciate it!

-Carolyn and Tippie

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't had this particular surgery but my boy broke his leg and had to go into a crate after rebreaking the same leg during his recovery. I too was worried about him in a crate. My boy is too smart for his own good and my vet now has the Link policy when it comes to his care because of it. She says if it can go wrong, it will go wrong so his treatment plan takes into account the worst case scenario.

He ended up doing better with the crate rest then I expected. He adapted and we settled into a routine. The most important thing for him was the routine of cleaning the crate, refilling food and stopping by to visit him. We kept the crate in a busy room so he was alone very little. Even down a leg, there wasn't any issue with him using a litter box and within the confines of the crate there were no accidents. Granted, we did end up with some poop on his cast a few times but a wet wipe took care of that. I gave him a valerian root toy in his cage (to mellow him a little naturally) and had a hanging toy from the top of the crate I changed daily. He didn't seem too interested in playing but I like to think he appreciated it.

He now has arthritis in that leg and has good and bad days. I talked with my vet and he gets a super low dose of CBD oil to help with his pain. He doesn't handle most vet prescribed medications well and after a few bad experiences we decided holistic was the best option for him.

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Greetings All,
This is my first post! I hope those who have gone through this with their cats might chime in. My cat is scheduled for right patella repair on 5/19, and I have a bazillion questions. I need to come back later with questions that haven’t been answered from searching/reading posts on this topic.

“9 years ago I entered uncharted territory when I agreed to foster a kitty who was, without doubt, semi-feral. Tippie had a traumatic start in life as a victim of gun violence, leaving her blind in one eye. I vigilantly cared for Tippie after a surgery to remove her eye, and tirelessly gave reasons to trust so she could quickly get adopted.
View attachment 332442
Ultimately, we formed such a close bond that left us with no other choice except to continue our adventures together. So – she adopted me on Valentine’s day 2013!
View attachment 332445
You'll be happy to know that Tippie makes up for the missing eye by sporting extra toes, along with an incredibly spirited and mischievous personality!
View attachment 332448

She unexpectedly filled a void in my heart after losing another cat of 18-years, and so I promised to always love and protect Tippie from harm.
View attachment 332446

It breaks my heart to watch this lively girl revert to living under a bed - not understanding why her leg gives out, why she can't walk or jump, and why she is confined to a room for her own safety.

On Friday 4/10/2020, Tippie was playing in another room. I decided to join the fun, only to find her on the floor, sitting in a strange position and unable to walk. After two visits to the ER + her regular vet, we were referred to a surgeon at the University of Minnesota Small Animal Hospital. There, she was diagnosed with patellar luxuations (kneecaps partially dislocate), a rare condition in cats. Tippie's right knee is severe enough that walking can oftentimes be impossible.”

I’ll add - Tippie has grade 2, but after seeing video of Tippie walking, the surgeon recommended surgery asap. Bilateral is an option, but we’re just going with the right since it’s most debilitating. Although the surgeon considers this urgent, we still can’t get in for 3 weeks.

Since I wrote the above information 2 weeks ago, Tippie is doing a little better. She’s learned to adapt and rest, when her leg gives out. Tippie is quite stubborn, so when she feels a little better, no barricade will stop her from trying to jump. In fact, I think my attempts made it worse. Her curiosity, frustration, and then attention-seeking behavior led to more jumping attempts gone awry. I’ve now cleared the couch and a chair in the bedroom. This is not ideal from the standpoint of ‘don't exacerbate the injury’. Nor is it 100% satisfactory in her eyes. I do think this strategy has reduced stress/anxiety and eliminated potential falls. She’s stopped hiding under the bed, and actually seems to rest more because things are more normal and she’s comfortable.

anyways, let’s consider this part 1 of our post. I just wanted to introduce ourselves. I’ll add to this later tonight or tomorrow with more detail about her condition and actual question.

thanks for listening! I hope you are all staying healthy!

-Carolyn and Tippie
Hi there!
I have a petite, 1 yr old tortie named Boo who was diagnosed with this too! Both legs and when it first started, about 2 months ago, she was under the bed too. She is now out for the most part and able to jump ok, but when she walks her legs look weak and I can almost see little"clicks" going on. She has other issues with paw pads unrelated, so we are trying to deal with that and I have put off the knee surgeries. I'm also very anxious about it. I just can't imagine creating a cat for how many weeks?
My poor Boo has a big brother, and he's BIG and muscular and playful. He want to chase and wrestle buy Boo is cowering, and I think it's stressing her out:( I will probably have to consider surgery soon, and I would love to follow you to see how you are little guy does. By the way he looks adorable, what a love! Great rescue story;) I really hope your surgery goes well🤞🙏

Carolyn&Tippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Kieka,
Thank you for sharing! It's nice to hear stories of cats surprising us with good behavior! ;)
I know Tippie has, on many occasions. So maybe it will all work out better than expected.

Which leg did your cat injure? How long was he on crate rest?
I might ask the surgeon in advance for the worst case scenario and suggest we approach Tippie's recovery with that in mind.

I'm sorry your cat is dealing with arthritis now, but it sounds like you've found some ways to manage it. That's an issue I had to manage with my previous cat, after she experienced acute kidney failure from a medication (for arthritis). Ug!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Kieka,
Thank you for sharing! It's nice to hear stories of cats surprising us with good behavior! ;)
I know Tippie has, on many occasions. So maybe it will all work out better than expected.

Which leg did your cat injure? How long was he on crate rest?
I might ask the surgeon in advance for the worst case scenario and suggest we approach Tippie's recovery with that in mind.

I'm sorry your cat is dealing with arthritis now, but it sounds like you've found some ways to manage it. That's an issue I had to manage with my previous cat, after she experienced acute kidney failure from a medication (for arthritis). Ug!
Left rear leg. His initial healing was 4 weeks but he rebroke it about two weeks after that and had crate rest at that point. We did 3 weeks of the crate rest followed by limited movement in the house for another 2 weeks. My boy is very fastitidous, so I was cleaning the crate twice a day during that time. I'd put him in his carrier while cleaning and he'd hang out in the carrier for a few hours before going back int he crate. But he's really good at communicating, so it wasn't hard to tell when he wanted to go back to the crate. He'd usually take a nap in the carrier with one of the other cats nearby or sitting near someone.

Carolyn&Tippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!
I have a petite, 1 yr old tortie named Boo who was diagnosed with this too! Both legs and when it first started, about 2 months ago, she was under the bed too. She is now out for the most part and able to jump ok, but when she walks her legs look weak and I can almost see little"clicks" going on. She has other issues with paw pads unrelated, so we are trying to deal with that and I have put off the knee surgeries. I'm also very anxious about it. I just can't imagine creating a cat for how many weeks?
My poor Boo has a big brother, and he's BIG and muscular and playful. He want to chase and wrestle buy Boo is cowering, and I think it's stressing her out:( I will probably have to consider surgery soon, and I would love to follow you to see how you are little guy does. By the way he looks adorable, what a love! Great rescue story;) I really hope your surgery goes well🤞🙏
Hi! Thanks for sharing your story, too! I'm sorry Boo has the same condition. She's so young!!! Did the vet tell you what grade luxation?

We are almost ready for surgery. Her crate and playpen will be set up in my bedroom, so initially living quarters will be tight. I'll have my bed and a comfortable chair for myself. My desk, along with everything in my closet will take up residence elsewhere in my 1 bedroom apartment. Still working on that plan. :lol:
Playpen no closet1.jpg

The kennel is 46 x 30 x 32. Playpen is 4 x 4 x 4 when set up in a square configuration. Clearly that won't work in my space. I think it could be a lot more stable, so I'm going to figure out a way to 'anchor' it to places, like my bed, the radiator, door knobs, etc. Initially I planned to make a top with chicken wire. I've decided to wait, because I really don't think she'll jump. The baby gate I got last month is 40" and she hasn't even considered jumping it. Having one eye can be a deterrent for jumping up/over some things. This might be one of them. I'm more worried about the kennel - she noticed the LB on top of the kennel and gave me a look, as if to say that she didn't realize there was a TOP to this box and maybe it would be fun to sit on it. All that said, she will start with supervised visits outside of the kennel and in the playpen, until I see how safe it is for her.

Although inconvenient, I set it in a location where she can see me in other areas of the apartment. It's the spot she chose as hers, once she decided living underneath the bed was no longer necessary. It also gets afternoon sun, which is nice until mid-summer.

Playpen no closet2.JPG

In an ideal world (like as soon as stitches come out), we can take down the kennel and she can switch to the closet. The playpen will expand a wee bit more, and I can even let her walk around the hallway thats attached to my room. There's a babygate which separates the hallway and kitchen.
Playpen and closet.JPG

This is her view (I got inside/laid down in the kennel and playpen to make sure she had some sort of decent view). The other window, where the afternoon sun shines, doesn't have as great of a view. But there are a few branches and cables that tend to be a throughway for squirrels.
Playpen view.jpg

As for activities/set up (note - many of these will be introduced gradually; I expect a lot of things to fail, but also many to work out great...or come up with something better on the fly)
  • I want nothing more than to keep her LB outside of the kennel, which will be her sleep/eating area. To start, it might have to be inside because 1) the step to get in/out of the kennel is BIG, and 2) I need to know she can handle the playpen/that it's safe when she's by herself.
  • Tippie has become addicted to 'cat tv'. haha! I seriously can't believe how much she likes it. I REALLY hope this will tide her over for a LONG time!
  • There's some interest in the cat painting app. Not sure how long that will last, but for $1.99 it was worth the try.
  • Feather toys (she licks the feathers), catnip toys (e.g., yeowzz banana), pet grass, tissue paper, paper bags, treat puzzles, table top water fountain, mini-turbo chaser, mini-turbo chaser tower, scratching pad, peacock feathers. (NO string-like toys for this girl - she ate one a few years ago and nearly died. That was a $3000 surgery. UG!)
  • There's enough space for me to sit in the playpen with her, which I intend to do multiple times/day so she can sit on my lap, get her inhaler, play, etc. I can actually lay inside somewhat comfortably if it weren't for the hardwood floor. If push came to shove, I would consider sleeping with her on occasion.
  • I REALLY hope to convince her at some point to get inside a smaller kennel (18x24) so I can bring her into the living room and/or kitchen. I'm more than willing to move furniture around and put tables in front of windows, then set the kennel on the table so she can really look outside! Also, the morning sun is in the front and it is our normal routine to sit in the sun together/play. It might be a struggle at first, but once she see's that it helps her do the things she enjoys, then maybe she'll become a willing party on the adventure!
Okay! So, surgery is next Tuesday 5/19. Super duper anxious, but that's another post in itself. For now, she's getting a lot of cuddles and supervised window time. Pretty much anything she won't be able to do for the next couple of months, I'm helping her do now (within reason).

I'll keep posting updates when able, so others who need resources or questions answered can hopefully find what they need - right here!

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Holy wow! Your cat is lucky and evidently very loved♥. You've thought of everything. She has a great set up and she's sure to love the window! As she starts to heal and feel better, she may think about jumping the open tops of the cages. I read one post where they used Velcro to secure cages to the ground. Looks like you have nice hardwood floor so not sure that would work. 3M also makes these wall hangers for picture frames that are similar to Velcro, super strong, and supposed to be damage free. They might work on the bottom of the cages.
I'm calling my vet today because my Boo seems stressed out all the time, even though she can run and jump, I think they are still luxating and causing discomfort.
I wish you the very best of luck on the 19th!! 🙏 Keep us posted on recovery!

Carolyn&Tippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tippie was scheduled for surgery today. Four hours after I dropped her off, the hospital called to say that her surgery was cancelled due to other emergencies. I was just sick, knowing she hadn’t eaten for 12 hours and thinking how stressed she must be feeling. All for nothing!

We’ve rescheduled for Friday, and her surgeon promised she’d be placed on the no bump list. I don’t know what we’ll do if they cancelled again. For sure I’m not leaving the premises until surgery is done.

Tippie came home worse than when she left. She was unable to walk more than a few steps before flopping over to rest. Her limp was more of a hop, and her hip looks out of whack. 5 hours later and she’s terribly restless, still unable to walk much. On Friday, I might Insist she stay in the car with me until the anesthesiologist is ready.

I’m so exhausted!
guess we try again in a couple of days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my! Sorry to hear this. But, the confinement may have actually made her stiff and 'worse for the wear.' Hoping to hear she rebounds some before the next scheduled appointment. Good wishes and thoughts to Tippie and you. :vibes::vibes:

georgesgirl01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is disappointing, to say the least. Sorry to hear that. It's so stressful putting them through that. My vet is crazy busy lately too. But they're great. they squeezed her in today for a biopsy because she has what they think is pemphigus folacious, which is a skin disorder. They wanted to treat that before even discussing patella surgery..she has been very uncomfortable with this skin thing. So, as the cat world turns! Ya, I would insist to your vet they follow through Friday! It's too much stress on them! They should take you first thing! Best of luck once again.

Carolyn&Tippie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Thought I would update for those following, or others looking for information on this surgery in the future.

Tippie's patella luxation surgery did take place on Friday 5/23 and, according to her surgeon, it went well. Unfortunately Tippie spent the day following her procedure on Oxygen in the ICU. She has asthma and showed signs of labored breathing/low oxygen while coming out of anesthesia. Her breathing was great come evening, after they took her off Oxygen. We all decided it would be best if I brought her home early, rather than spending a full 24-hours in the hospital.

The transition from hospital to car, and then home, was a bit challenging. The cone put on her was TOO big and they stuffed her carrier with a large blanket (claustrophobic anyone?!). Not to mention she hadn't yet eaten, going on 24 hours. Not sure why they didn't try the food I sent, or suggestions, but so be it. Once I was able to get the cone off and finger fed baby food, she settle down some. Her need to go in circles and climb over the blanket was incredibly nerve-wracking! No real complaints about the space I set up for her. She had a lot more difficulty walking/standing up than I was led to believe. Turns out, the hardwood floors and slippery surfaces such as tissue paper are a big no-no (read this a few hours later in her discharge notes). Here I was trying to provide both soft spaces, tactile/sensory area, and cooler places to lay because of summer weather. I scrambled to find all of my throw rugs, towels, cat bedding, and blankets that would work. Things don't look so tidy any more. haha! She has no real interest in the crate. I think it part because the step to get in/out is quite high. I've padded it to help ease any discomfort should she hit her leg(s), but don't expect her to frequent it. Soon she may experience some confinement in the crate, unfortunately (to be explained further down).
Tippie playpen first night.jpg

Tippie spent the first 24-hours sleeping and shifting positions every 2-3 hours. She clearly struggled and had some pain by doing this. I was surprised that she was able to use her litter box on the first night. It was no small feat, however. There was quick clean up in aisle "foot of my bed" at 2am, which I did not mind at all.

The honeymoon was over after our first 48 hours at home. Her block probably wore off, so she was in a lot more pain. The cone also had to go on, pretty much full-time. Thankfully I still had the one from her eye removal, which i taped the edges back to make the circumference smaller. It's more like a plate. And, it's softer because it's older and previously worn.

Yesterday (day 2), you could see her wheels spinning, planning the big escape. I wish she had waited to try until maybe a few weeks post-op. Before bedtime she was eyeing the litter box, but struggling to get up. She eventually made it - walked in and then out. UG. As she stared it down for another 30 minutes, I decided picked her up and put her inside. Again, she walked out. UG. True to form, for any cat, once you go to bed they suddenly have to go. Just as I fell asleep, I heard and smelt the wonderful aroma of POOP! No problem. She hadn't gone since Thursday, so I was happy to clean things up at 1:30am. At 4am, I heard her in the box and also saw her go in/out of the crate. My eyes closed, happy for her. Then bang, clatter, bang! She was hanging half-way up the playpen with litter box underneath, trying to get on my bed with me. I got her down, cleaned up the litter thrown all over the 6x4 area, changed bedding, fed her, allowed opportunity to clean her behind (first time she's been able to reach), and went back to bed. Set my alarm for an hour later, but woke up 5 hours later at 10am! She was fast asleep herself.

No difference if there was a top for the pen, she still would have done this. I dread confining her to the kennel so much that I'm going to sleep in the pen with her tonight. Its not ideal long-term, but doable I think. The kennel is actually big enough that I might even start in there, just to see if she'll join me and eventually take to it more often herself. I want her to learn that it's a comfortable/safe place rather than a punishment. Hopefully I'm successful in teaching that lesson before she HAS to stay in there.

How we've been keeping ourselves sane:
Her - routine the best I can, sit in the playpen with her for a few hours/a couple times each day, lots of pets/singing/talking, some kitty tv (mellow), breaks from the cone when I can supervise, immediately cleaning up messes. I also spend most of my time in the room with her, for now, since I'm working from home.

Me - trying to keep a routine and do my normal things in front of her - make bed, sweep, work on the computer, fold clothes, etc. Trying to find time for self-care (bathing, eating). Also accepting that things are just a bit different right now. Like having a baby - do what I can during naps, be ready to go at a moment's notice, wake every few hours to check on her. But also remembering that it's a dynamic situation, changing day by day. Eventually we will be back to 'normal'.

A few things I wish I had known, or did know but was not told in advance by her surgeon:
  • A low entrance litter box that is big enough to turn around in is a must. I thought we'd manage with a low-sided/smaller size. Now I'm stuck. The surgeon didn't mention it until she called to say I could pick Tippie up.
  • No slippery floors. I REALLY wish this was mentioned in advance because anyone having this kind of surgery for their cat will plan and set up in advance. My place is ALL hardwood flooring. I would have bought more throw rugs and/or bedding.
  • Eating position is difficult. Tippie just started sitting/standing a little bit today. Otherwise, I've had to feed her from a small bowl on the floor where she eats laying down.
  • The amount of shaving and size of scar/bruising/swelling can be a shock. I did see someone post a picture of their cat, somewhere on the internet. Had I not seen it, I would have broken down more than I already had. The mitten foot is pretty darn cute though.
  • The extent to which she would be able to walk, or what she would be capable of doing wasn't explained well enough. I realize every cat is different, but in Tippie's case, she has not really been able to walk more than a few steps before needing to lay down. There's been very little she CAN do, other than lay around and get up when necessary.

Procedure Tippie had + rehab:
  • Right Patella luxation surgery. Initially grade 2, but grade three on day of surgery (4 weeks later) - deepened groove and a few other things (I have to look, so I'll edit this next time I have discharge papers handy)
  • She has a few pins
  • 4 weeks, small contained area - no jumping, running, or climbing. (broke that rule already, didn't we Tippie. Grrr)
  • 4-8 weeks - gradually increase area to walk around, limited jumping (that means none, because with this cat it's all or nothing)
  • 8 weeks - free range of home and activity, but don't expect full activity level until around 16 weeks.
  • Cone - 10 days when not being watched
  • Recheck - 6 weeks, sutures are deep and will dissolve on own
  • PT recommended, but not an ideal candidate so okay to skip.

I'll post some pictures in a few days. In the meantime (I hope this is allowed, otherwise moderators please delete), she's had a Facebook page for the past 9 years. I've been updating it daily with progress, challenges, photos, and video.
Adventures of Tippie the (former) Foster Cat

Here's the first photo I took in the car as we were about to start yet another big adventure together:

Tippie_headinghome_PLSurgery.jpg