Pate Or Wet Food

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
So i know what one is better the pate or however you say it or wet food but what kind do you give your cats ?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Wet food can refer to a number of different types of food and consistencies. It can be cooked and canned or raw. Wet just means that it’s over 70% moisture.

Cooked canned food comes in different textures: pate, minced, flaked, etc.

The commercial brands of raw and canned food that I feed are Primal (raw), Weruva (flaked canned) and Feline Natural (pate canned). I also make homemade raw food.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give pates mostly, sometimes fine shreds, because my cat won't eat the chunky stuff.

I feed American Journey, Tiny Tiger, Weruva Pates, Soulistic pates, some Tiki Cat Mousse and shreds, Kaikoa pate, Caru Stews and Sheba pate.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I like pate because it's more calorically dense and therefore more "bang for your buck."

I feed Tiny Tiger (the current household favorite), Abound/4Health Chicken and Whitefish, Only Natural Pet's Rabbit and Pork, Redbarn Lamb, and certain Fancy Feast Classic pates. They also get one hommemade raw meal a week since they have conferred and decided they don't wait it as half their meal...lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I like pate because it's more calorically dense and therefore more "bang for your buck."

I feed Tiny Tiger (the current household favorite), Abound/4Health Chicken and Whitefish, Only Natural Pet's Rabbit and Pork, Redbarn Lamb, and certain Fancy Feast Classic pates. They also get one hommemade raw meal a week since they have conferred and decided they don't wait it as half their meal...lol.
I wanna give her a homade meal like do you have any easy recipes i can try

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Can i give her like cooked chicken i bought at the like the rotisserie chicken but with the skin off would that be ok idk if she would eat raw chicken im to scared

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
There are mixes that you can add to cooked or raw chicken (or other meat) to make it a complete meal. It's important that you follow the instructions extremely closely to ensure that you aren't over- or under-supplementing the meat. Here is a commonly used one, though it is pricey. It goes into detail of each ingredient and why it is important.

EZComplete Premix Information

When I make my cat's raw food, I buy the food from a company that specifically does raw pet food with the meat/bone/organ ration already where it should be. I can give you that website if you would like. Homemade food can be daunting- I rad for months before I took that plunge!

As far giving rotisserie chicken: I think (and others may disagree with me) that if you give her a piece of meat that is "deeper" within the chicken (ie, not touching the skin directly) then you should be fine. I do that for my own cats all the time. Just be sure not to give them too much. A 2 inch strip should be enough to see if they will eat it.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Important to note: cats won’t survive on just scraps of meat. They need proper nutrients. So, if you’re going to go down the homemade route you really need to be prepared to do your homework and follow an established recipe. The homemade and raw subforum here is a good place to start.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
There are mixes that you can add to cooked or raw chicken (or other meat) to make it a complete meal. It's important that you follow the instructions extremely closely to ensure that you aren't over- or under-supplementing the meat. Here is a commonly used one, though it is pricey. It goes into detail of each ingredient and why it is important.

EZComplete Premix Information

When I make my cat's raw food, I buy the food from a company that specifically does raw pet food with the meat/bone/organ ration already where it should be. I can give you that website if you would like. Homemade food can be daunting- I rad for months before I took that plunge!

As far giving rotisserie chicken: I think (and others may disagree with me) that if you give her a piece of meat that is "deeper" within the chicken (ie, not touching the skin directly) then you should be fine. I do that for my own cats all the time. Just be sure not to give them too much. A 2 inch strip should be enough to see if they will eat it.
Ok

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can i give her like cooked chicken i bought at the like the rotisserie chicken but with the skin off would that be ok idk if she would eat raw chicken im to scared
If you are looking at making your own food you do have to mix in the vitamins yourself or buy a powder that makes the food complete.

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's two types of wet food, pate and gravy chunks. It all depends on your cat's preference. I give mine pate.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed our cats whatever kind of wet food they'll actually eat. :wink:

One of our cats prefers real shredded meat textures like Tiki Cat and Cats in the Kitchen. But now that he has some food allergies and sensitivities, there are only two shredded meat textured foods he likes that meet his dietary requirements.

We also prefer to feed our kitties low-carb foods, since Buddy hasn't had any further urinary tract problems since we stumbled across catinfo.org, and started him on a wet food only, low carb, fish free diet. So our cats eat mostly low-carb pate style foods, as many of the other textures contain some type of gravy that can make the carb content higher than we'd prefer. But that's just us. :)

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are way more than 2 textures of wet food :lol:

Try looking through Chewy if you have some free time.

I feed Weruva, Tiki Cat After Dark, Nutro, Wellness and sometimes Merrick or Fancy Feast.

It's a perfectly good budget friendly food IMO and Aslan never says no. :thumbsup:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's two types of wet food, pate and gravy chunks. It all depends on your cat's preference. I give mine pate.

Wet food just has a high water content. There are no "types" of wet food.

Texture of the food can be smooth pate or chunks / slices / shreds / etc in liquid (sauce, gravy, broth, etc).

Pate usually has a little liquid and makes the most of your money. A lot of the textured foods in liquid are mostly liquid with very little food and they may cost quite a bit. You're basically paying for what is essentially water. You can add water to pate food, smush it around a bit, and have instant "gravy" :agree:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as texture goes, we give our boy pate style foods.
We save gravies for when he's not feeling 100% and is off food a bit. It's a good tempter and when he's back to himself, we can usually wean him off by offering 1/2 pate, 1/2 gravies on top, then gradually lessening the gravies until he's back to pate. (Adding warm water or warmed onion free broth helps, too.)