Patches Of Fur Just Fell Out - Alarmed (photo)

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 16 y/o gal has CHF and is on lasix, benazapril, and diltiazem. She's lost a lot of weight and her fur isn't as healthy as it used to be, but as I was petting her just now I was alarmed when patches fell away in my hand. Upon closer inspection I found this this:

Of course I'll contact my vet as early as possible tomorrow but I'm alarmed and there's no way I'm going to sleep anytime soon. Anyone experienced this? She didn't stop purring when I combed around the area and hasn't been bothered by it. I do noticed she can get sensitive around her lower back but she'd always been like this.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, K kalico - I'm so sorry your kitty is going through this. What part of her body exactly does the photo show? Is her breathing still doing poorly, even on the meds? I'm trying to catch up on your other threads, and boy, is she a beautiful cat -- (hugs) to you both. Hoping all is as well as can be...
:grouphug2:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your kind message <3. These patches are close to her tail along her spine. Vet opens soon - I'm going to give them a call.

Her new "baseline" breathing is still laboured and I keep on top of with 3 lasix injections a day, but it's far better than when she wasn't on meds.

All of our pets are beautiful :)

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet said as there’s no open sore there’s no issue. My guess is she scraped her back at some point because she’s skin and bones (no more fat for cushion). :(

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet want to take skin scrapings to test for any bacterial or fungal issues? If the cat has really compromised health and immune system, she could be more susceptible to such things. If she is itchy or in pain there, even just slightly, from a bacterial issue --or even fleas, another source of bacteria/parasites-- that could cause her to try to groom more in that area along her back. My last (indoor only) cat was very immune-compromised and, unfortunately, fleas took hold as we had had a very hot summer during her last year of life. Her frequent visits to the cat vet also allowed some fleas and flea eggs to sadly hitch a ride back to our apartment. It made our older cat miserable and we had to work carefully to eradicate them without over-dosing her already very medicated system with flea meds (Revolution worked, thankfully).
:grouphug2:

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good to know, thank you. Nope, vet didn't take any scrapings, he did not seem concerned. I do trust him.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good to know, thank you. Nope, vet didn't take any scrapings, he did not seem concerned. I do trust him.
It looks like healed skin from the photos. Here is a bug bite healing on my boy over a week (the vet shaved the area to get a better look at it and pulled off the Dead skin). Yours looks closer to the second row photos. View media item 398180

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
something I learned recently, cats purr when they are in pain.
Not saying your kitty is in pain, and I hope her fur gets better and she puts
some weight back on!!

kalico

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
something I learned recently, cats purr when they are in pain.
Not saying your kitty is in pain, and I hope her fur gets better and she puts
some weight back on!!
I know, it's such a distressing thought! She was purring because I brought out her favourite blanket though, so I think it was content purring :)
She isn't going to get better, unfortunately - she's still losing weight (very slowly) due to CHF so my endgame is making sure she's comfortable.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's most likely a scrape like you said, but watch for allergies from food or medications. stay with one kind of food for a while and see if she develops anything else. It could be bug bites, scrapes from a rough playing housemate, so many things, but as long as she doesn't develop more you should be OK. There are many ointments out there, for cats, that may help speed the healing process and make her feel a little better, you can get them at pet store or farm and ranch centers. I'll keep that sweet girl in my thoughts and prayers, healing vibes sent her way! :vibes: