Partial cooking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell separate premixes, with and without liver. The local Smart & Final sells tubs of liver, so I got the premix without.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sell separate premixes, with and without liver. The local Smart & Final sells tubs of liver, so I got the premix without.

I know. They don't say which product the GA on the web site is for. Is there a GA on the product you bought. If so what are the protein, fat and moisture %'s?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each 2.1 oz (approx. 1/2 cup) of this premix contains:

Moisture          4.8%

Total Minerals 30.1%

Protein           38%

Fat                 17.9%

Taurine            2934 mg

Calcium          5832 mg

Phosphorus    2976 mg

Magnesium       263 mg

Sodium             258 mg

Potassium         126 mg

Iodine                 1.3 mg

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I calculated how much TCFeline premix would take to balance 1.5oz meal (what I feed), and it takes one TSP.... that's double of what I use of Call of the Wild. So Call of the wild is 1/2 price and 1/2 of the amount.
My only councern is, would the cats eat that much powder on the top of their chunks? COTW is already a bunch..... I do like the ingredients, just not the amount of powder.....
One Tsp.... that IS a lot to top dress meat chunks. Yeah, I too like the ingredients. Maybe will try the smaller sized bag to start. I also have not tried the COTW. It is great, though, to have these other options/supplements to choose from.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each 2.1 oz (approx. 1/2 cup) of this premix contains:

Moisture          4.8%

Total Minerals 30.1%

Protein           38%

Fat                 17.9%

Taurine            2934 mg

Calcium          5832 mg

Phosphorus    2976 mg

Magnesium       263 mg

Sodium             258 mg

Potassium         126 mg

Iodine                 1.3 mg

Using Atwater factors of 3.5 kcals/g protein, 8.5 kcals/g fat and 3.5 kcals/g carbbohydrates and calculating carbohydrate content as 100 - 38 (protein) - 17.9 (fat) - 30.1 (ash) = 9.2% I got 90 kcals/oz. Not as 'negligible' as I thought!  

So the 2.1 oz of the premix would add about 189 calories to their 2 lbs meat + 3.5 oz liver recipe. 

To put that in perspective, the premix adds about 4 calories per ounce to the recipe and I would guessimate that recipe is in the 30-35 calories/oz range (assuming the meat isn't terrible fatty) without the premix.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I calculated how much TCFeline premix would take to balance 1.5oz meal (what I feed), and it takes one TSP.... that's double of what I use of Call of the Wild. So Call of the wild is 1/2 price and 1/2 of the amount.
My only councern is, would the cats eat that much powder on the top of their chunks? COTW is already a bunch..... I do like the ingredients, just not the amount of powder.....
One Tsp.... that IS a lot to top dress meat chunks. Yeah, I too like the ingredients. Maybe will try the smaller sized bag to start. I also have not tried the COTW. It is great, though, to have these other options/supplements to choose from.
Again, the extra cost is the MCHA which is freeze dried bone not just calcuim carbonate which is the calcium source in COTW. The MCHA is also the cause of the extra 'bulk'. Whole bone is more than just calcium so it takes a lot more of the MCHA to provide the same amount of elemental calcium as it would take of calcium carbonate.

Laurie uses MCHA and I believe she said her cats have no problem with the quantity. Is that right Laurie??

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, the extra cost is the MCHA which is freeze dried bone not just calcuim carbonate which is the calcium source in COTW. The MCHA is also the cause of the extra 'bulk'. Whole bone is more than just calcium so it takes a lot more of the MCHA to provide the same amount of elemental calcium as it would take of calcium carbonate.

Laurie uses MCHA and I believe she said her cats have no problem with the quantity. Is that right Laurie??
I understand all that and I didn't say it wasn't the case....
When you use MCHA on its own, it doesn't amount to a full teaspoon. A full teaspoon is a LOT of powder to put over 1.5 oz of meat.
So, to me, MCHA or not, it is still a lot of powder and twice the cost.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the end, people need to decide if the freeze dried bone vs other forms of calcium supplementation is worth the cost. :)

There's bulk coming from something other than the MCHA. I haven't measured out how much 3/4 - 1 capsule of MCHA is (the amount needed for 1.5 ounces of meat). But it's not a half a teaspoon (meaning the MCHA alone doesn't explain the difference in volume between CoTW and TCFeline). Mine DO like the MCHA and have no problem eating it, even though it's a lot more volume than the eggshell. :nod:

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I understand all that and I didn't say it wasn't the case....
When you use MCHA on its own, it doesn't amount to a full teaspoon. A full teaspoon is a LOT of powder to put over 1.5 oz of meat.
So, to me, MCHA or not, it is still a lot of powder and twice the cost.
In the end, people need to decide if the freeze dried bone vs other forms of calcium supplementation is worth the cost.

There's bulk coming from something other than the MCHA. I haven't measured out how much 3/4 - 1 capsule of MCHA is (the amount needed for 1.5 ounces of meat). But it's not a half a teaspoon (meaning the MCHA alone doesn't explain the difference in volume between CoTW and TCFeline). Mine DO like the MCHA and have no problem eating it, even though it's a lot more volume than the eggshell.
 I keep forgetting the TCFeline has egg yolk as the second ingredient. That probably adds a lot of the bulk also. Also krill, gelatin kelp. 

Of course people will decide for themselves what to use. I'm just pointing out the reasons for the extra bulk and cost because it may not be obvious to some. The two products (COTW, TCFeline) have very different philosophies about the best way to provide needed nutrients. I don't think cost and bulk should be the only factors considered when comparing the two. I don't use either so it doesn't matter to me. I'm just trying to provide more information that can be used, or ignored, by others.

I'm not convinced the MCHA is worth the price myself. I can't make up my mind about that. 

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, mschauer, for the calcs! Assuming I have time tonight I'm going to calculate approximately how much of the final product I should be giving Poppy, mix some up tonight, and put some down alongside her regular food tomorrow morning.

Wow, this group certainly seems to know a lot about cat nutrition and raw diet! I'm getting more help here than the vet I went to that claimed she knew about raw feeding. (Am switching away from her for other reasons.)