Part siamese?

cg33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Howie, is a small orange tabby. There is nothing about his markings or of his litter mates (a brown tabby boy and an all black boy) to indicate that he is part siamese. However there are other things about him that make me think...

He has a slender body type with a skinny, whip tail. His tail moves in ways that I've never seen a tail move too, which makes me think it is kinked. Apparently a lot of siamese have kinked tails as well.

The biggest thing about Howie is his voice though! Howie is more vocal than any cat I have ever seen. If he's awake, he's talking. He walks around meowing to himself, talking to his us, talking to his toys, it's non stop! It's not a normal meow either. If he is trying to tell you something, he has a very piercing glare that is accompanied by a loud demanding cry. If he can't find us, he walks around "calling" for us!

Is it possible that Howie could be half siamese without he or his siblings having any point markings?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it possible that Howie could be half siamese without he or his siblings having any point markings?
Oh, its very possible by the self definition.

The siamese coloring is made by the  point gene  (siamese are so called points - the pointed places are colored on them).   And this gene is recessive.  Ie it must come from both parents.

The gene by itself alone is quite weak, but becomes strong when doubled - causes almost all the outer appearances.

Thus, a siamese mated with a  non siamese,(=another breed or a moggie who is non pointed), it will typically give all the kittens are NOT pointed.     In next generations it will be otherwise, but the sons and daugters will be  non pointed.    Although  all will be carriers of the point gene.   They will prob have the colorings from the other significant.

IF the second signicant  is a non pointed but a carrier of the gene,  half of the kittens in this litter  will be pointed, half not.

If two non pointed  carriers get a litter, typically  ONE of four kittens will be born as pointed,  often with the looks of old type siamese.

Nowadays they do have reliable test to see whom is a point gene carrier, who not.   They are not cheap, but for a breeder of say, Russian Blue,  who doesnt want to get pointed kittens, it is well worth to take the test.   And perhaps choose another stud instead.

Good luck!