Part raw question part how to get Kandie to take a chewable..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay I have afive lb chub of raw food thawing ... I am too mix it with canned till she eats it readily... question how to get it just thawed to cut how long?? How much should I anticipate needing cat is 11 lbs and eats about two cans a day .. dog is 12 and eats about 6 ounces plus dry ..

Kandie has a renal support chewable that should taste good it is liver kidney and such but she picks it out even mixed in food... Ideas??

vanillasugar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not 100% clear on your question, but I'll try to answer. Correct me if I'm wrong.
For the raw you can thaw the block in the fridge about halfway and cut it into the correct portions with a big butcher knife, then refreeze and take out the portions as you need them. I don't know how much is the right amount per feeding unfortunalty, as it varies from product to product (although not much).
For the medications, use two spoons to crush it gently. Put the pill in the bowl of one spoon, and crush it with the back of the other spoon slowly. I find this method contains most of the powder from flying all over. When it's in a powder form you can easily mix it with food without them noticing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you you answered just what I needed

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd cut it into really small bitesize pieces at first (if she's not used to raw). My 3 cats go through just under a pound a day (and 2 are growing kittens who are botomless pits). So 5lb mixed with other food should last you a long time. That would last me just under a week for 3 cats.

For me 1lb of meat thaws in the fridge in 24 hours. If you are in a hurry you can put it in some warm water for 30 minutes or so. If you are not including bone in the diet then you don't have to worry about accidentally cooking it a little if you put it in warm water.

I would thaw it out, cut it up and section it off into daily portions then refreeze it. This way you only have to rethaw little bits at a time and if you get a routine down it becomes really easy.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate freezing it because I hate thawing it, so I make a week's worth and then it just has to sit in the fridge. People I know that freeze it, say they put it in cool water and it thaws in about 15 minutes, but that's small portions. I hated trying to thaw the big ones. I was always worried I was going to keep it out too long, but then it wasn't thawed enough. Pain in the butt!

Cupid eats about 1/4lb. a day.
I give him more than suggested because he burns more calories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you ... all ... the dog ate her portion all up later I will be trying the cat( crosses fingers) I will mix the cat as the dog readily eats just raw meat when I give it ..