Parents Going To Send Away My Kitten?

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, if you've been following my forums, you must know that my little baby, Loki is always trying to escape and we all have to keep the windows/doors closed. My family is tired of it, and I am too but, I love him all the same and I hope he grows out of this habit. Anyways, today my dad totally lashed out. He was furious, and he said Loki can't stay anymore and that he is going to return him from the centre we adopted Loki from. For many reasons (a) Loki keeps escaping ,and (b) he was biting alot today ( even though I tried to explained my very rigid father that kittens have the habit of biting stuff and it's alright). He yelled at how my cat is spending a lot of his money and the first things he's going to do is return him. Guys, I am genuinely very sad. First of all, I've become very attached to my little furball, and giving him away would be like killing a part of me. Second, I've seen the centre we got him from, I've seen how much they starve the kittens there, and basically how irresponsible everybody these is. I CAN NOT imagine sending Loki there back again. It breaks my heart how completely annoying and heartless my father can get. Please help?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he have a cat tree near a window or maybe a window seat he can look out of? Do your windows have screens on them? We have two doors, so if the cats escape out of the first door, they don't get to the great outdoors. Do you just have the one door that leads to the outside? You could train him to stay back from the door by using something that makes noise and saying no every time. I use a bicycle horn sometimes, if my cats are doing something really dangerous like biting cords. They learn really quick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eira F

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does he have a cat tree near a window or maybe a window seat he can look out of? Do your windows have screens on them? We have two doors, so if the cats escape out of the first door, they don't get to the great outdoors. Do you just have the one door that leads to the outside? You could train him to stay back from the door by using something that makes noise and saying no every time. I use a bicycle horn sometimes, if my cats are doing something really dangerous like biting cords. They learn really quick.
Thank you so much for the reply, but I think it's too late to train him now. I guess I'll just have to let him go.. :')

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If Loki is a kitten, you can surely train him easily. My cat Charlie is seven, and I still teach him new tricks. I'll check out your other thread too, to see if there's any tips I have.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I just looked again at your other thread. You already got a lot of great advice there. Have you tried the scratch-proof screens and setting up sprinklers in the backyard and cat trees and toys like Draco suggested? How much of the house does Loki currently have access to?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply, but I think it's too late to train him now. I guess I'll just have to let him go.. :')
Fight for your kitten and take responsibility for taking care of him. Can you keep him in your room until he is older?

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry E Eira F for talking about you in the third person, but I think there's some assuming going on by other members that should be addressed.

While I haven't read every post of Eira F, the discussions I am seeing don't talk about age. Our suggestions are great.....if Eira F is an adult with some disposable income. What are some suggestions if Eira F is a minor and can't purchase things like cat-proof screens or a cat tree? I got the impression that Eira F is pretty young.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you get a second chance, which I really hope you do, try playing with him several times a day. When I say playing with him get him really moving until he literally can't move anymore. He might even get to the point that he is laying stretched out and panting. Follow play with a meal and then he will sleep until the next session. That will burn off energy and it follows a cat's natural rhythm. Play is a substitute for hunting, it satisfies their prey drive. A cat's natural cycle is hunt, eat, clean themselves, sleep until they hunt again.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep him in your room until he is older?
I had a step-father much like your dad. If it inconvenienced him, then he got rid of it. I was somewhere around ten when I got a kitten of my very own. But, she was a kitten, and he couldn't handle it.
I ended up keeping her in my room only, which wasn't fair to her, but it kept her from being dumped.

Re-arrange your room, making sure she's happy and has everything she needs until she grows up. Then, the only door you have to worry about is your bedroom door.

BTW, she grew up to be a very loving cat whom I took with me when I moved out.