parents are adopting a cat with possible felv

haleyrose99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hey all, my parents are adopting a one year old stray that my aunt rescued a few months ago- right now he has respiratory issues, but they suspect he might have felv. i have my own two kittens who don't have felv, and we live separately from my parents so no direct contact in the future. i guess im wondering what the risk of infection is? i obviously would love to meet the little guy but i worry about my own babies and them getting felv. i know its shared between saliva and other contact with an infected cat, so should i worry about bringing it home after visiting to give him a few chin scratches? im a bit ignorant when it comes to felv, i just want to be careful.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
hey all, my parents are adopting a one year old stray that my aunt rescued a few months ago- right now he has respiratory issues, but they suspect he might have felv. i have my own two kittens who don't have felv, and we live separately from my parents so no direct contact in the future. i guess im wondering what the risk of infection is? i obviously would love to meet the little guy but i worry about my own babies and them getting felv. i know its shared between saliva and other contact with an infected cat, so should i worry about bringing it home after visiting to give him a few chin scratches? im a bit ignorant when it comes to felv, i just want to be careful.
As you say, its spreads via salivia and body fluids; but in practice its bites...
So, having a felv cat with non felv positive cats is doable, but you must know what you do.
(FIV is a little easier, its less contagious)

But in your case, they live in two totally different ehomes... There shouldnt be no danger. If you worry and want to be double guarded, do of course wash off your hand thoroughly and preferably also, chang clothes - using perhaps some clothes to go to your parents (and other places if you so wish), but not visiting other cats nor having them in your home...

So, just normal precautions are more than enough, and you can scratch this fellow practically as much you want.
Its just good for him to be happy and unstressed... Being happy holds a dormand felv infection from bursting open.

Ps. Ex ferale cats and cats whom are much outside have usually good immune system; because cats with a weak immune system perish soon enough...
This may may be good to know; which cats you dare to come near after visiting your parents and this guy; and which cats you will keep yourself from...

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait until he has a positive test before you worry about any of this to be honest- thinking a cat has FeLV is not the same as him actually having it. It is always a good idea to quarrantine any cats who come inside and or who have an unknown health and vaccination status from other cats for 10-14 days.

As I recall in order to determine if a cat has FeLV you should have a snap test( which tests for both FIV and FeLV) and a blood test.

As Stefan said there is almost no chance, imo too, since they are not living in the same household, that your kittens are going to contract felv from him. I would think you can just use normal cautions like washing your hands and maybe changing clothes and stuff like that. You should ask your DVM about this too.

Last edited: