Pantaloons And Longer Back Legs Maybe On Gracie

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've posted here before about my cat Gracie but want a couple new pieces of information about her. My cat has longer white hair on the back legs and her undercoat is white. She's mostly a blue/grey cat with black stripes (silver-shaded or torbie. In fact her name was silver at the animal shelter I got her from. She seems to be short-haired or medium haired on the rest of her body except her back legs showing what appears to be longer white fur. When she sits more white hair shows back there. I don't know if she has that so-called term pantaloons or what. I've always had short-haired cats before and many throughout my life, so two of the following features I'm about to mention are new to me because she's a little different. That first question, does she have the so-called, pantaloons? My other question is about the way she sits. Are her back legs longer than her front legs? Or is it because she's just skinny and her back legs show more? There is nothing wrong with her legs because she is very playful and active and shows no sign of hurting. She's a semi-feral cat that I adopted approximately a little over a year ago. Here are oictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not seeing any pictures, can you try posting them again?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[ATACH]182569[/ATTACH] 20161217_083308.jpg 20161217_083308.jpg

Attachments

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the pictures will go through this time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is a shaded mackerel tabby - its the property of being shaded which makes the coloring seems weird, much white in the undercoat. She is also medium haired, it explains the pantaloons. Even if she at first glance seems shorthair with somewhat extra fur, but she is medium haired after all. And this adds to its more difficult to see what is going on.

The question is if she is also a diluted tortie, as it seems on some pics. YOU being there and seeing her in proper dayligh must decide. A tip: many torties has green eyes. Not all but much more than average in the general population.

This being shaded, isnt that common among the broad moggie population. So she must have an Ancestor somewhere.

Persian long back? As many persians are shaded. but so may also be the british shorthair...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She is a shaded mackerel tabby - its the property of being shaded which makes the coloring seems weird, much white in the undercoat. She is also medium haired, it explains the pantaloons. Even if she at first glance seems shorthair with somewhat extra fur, but she is medium haired after all. And this adds to its more difficult to see what is going on.

The question is if she is also a diluted tortie, as it seems on some pics. YOU being there and seeing her in proper dayligh must decide. A tip: many torties has green eyes. Not all but much more than average in the general population.

This being shaded, isnt that common among the broad moggie population. So she must have an Ancestor somewhere.

Persian long back? As many persians are shaded. but so may also be the british shorthair...
StefanZ StefanZ , do you think she could have some Egyptian Mau influence? Or that she's a decent lookalike EMau lookalike? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that EMaus have spots only on the tips of the fur, and they have those gooseberry green eyes, and longer back legs than front legs, like this kitty.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I realy dont know much about E. Mau, save they arent common, so tis usually one of my last guesses for ancestor (unless the TS is from Egypt....). But if saying a look alike, may be another matter.

This with longer back legs. Its in many breed description as something very especial, very discriminating them from others. But truth to be said - almost all cats has longer back legs than forelegs. Even if some has it perhaps more pronounced.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I agree that she is probably just an EMau lookalike. Burmillas (originally a shaded Persian x Burmese) aren't patterned, but have similar shading to this kitty, so I think you're probably right that she might have some Persian ancestors, especially since she looks to have plush fur.

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your responses StefanZ and abyeb! So she does have that pantaloon effect and she is a medium-haired kitty, and she might have some Persian ancestry, and she could be an Egyptian Mau lookalike. I live in Washington State but I wondered about the Egyptian Mau thing myself a while back. But I will go with the shaded Mackerel tabby or possibly dilute tortie/torbie. She does have some orange streaks or tan that's close to that black dorsal line on her back, but it's hard to capture that on camera, and you really have to look hard to see it. She's also very small, not even eight Lbs., and it seems like she's got a small head, well compared to my other cat. Thank you again for your responses. Just a few more pictures for you. I always thought my little girl was Shady (shaded)!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The eyes are greenish, no? I can see me too some cremeish spots. Sometimes its just a few hairs... So, I think she is a diluted tortie and tabby, a so called torbie. And shaded, and mediumhair...

Being SHADED on a longhair / mediumhair can give almost the same optical impression, but she is diluted tortie for real.

Last edited:

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you StefanZ for your response! Yes, her eyes are green. Her coat-type is shaded, medium-haired, dilute tortie. Thanks for that!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cream color could just be tarnish (a color fault for silver Persians). It is a brownish/gold/cream tipping on the fur instead of black like they are supposed to have. Tarnish can be just a small spot of discoloration or a larger area. There are many breeds who come in shaded or chinchilla silver. I don't see any Persian influence in this beautiful baby.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The cream color could just be tarnish (a color fault for silver Persians). It is a brownish/gold/cream tipping on the fur instead of black like they are supposed to have. Tarnish can be just a small spot of discoloration or a larger area. There are many breeds who come in shaded or chinchilla silver. I don't see any Persian influence in this beautiful baby.
I believe American Shorthairs come in shaded silver, do you think this could be a possibility?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here we do have our solution! I dont think much on persian ancestry me either, but I thought this was anyway the shortest way to get the shaded gene among the ancestors. Another way could be British, but they arent common in America. And most british arent shaded either.

But if there is this source, I will buy it immediately as my chief suspect. :)

I believe American Shorthairs come in shaded silver, do you think this could be a possibility?

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses! We are all in agreement that she's a shaded, medium-haired kitty. Thank you so much for your expertise on that! I'm going along with her coat-type being a shaded, medium-haired, dilute tortoiseshell-tabby (torbie). That's what makes most sense to me since I do see some cream colored spots on her hair and since cream is the dilute version of red, I'm going with dilute. I thought it could be tarnishing too like posiepurrs pointed out, but for the time being I will go with dilute torbie and that she might have American Shorthair ancestry in her genes. Thanks again for all your help! Much appreciated! 20160909_112233.jpg 20160909_112233.jpg

Attachments

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really familiar with the American shorthair, but I scanned the standard. This beauty's head isn't correct if I read correctly. Of course since we aren't talking about a purebred, it is possible. They do come in shaded silver.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also about the dilute- I don't believe that creamy color is dilute, I believe it is tarnish. If the color is truly dilute, the silvery tipping would be blue instead of black, unless I am mistaken.

jdwns12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response Posiepurrs. That's very interesting what you said on the dilutes that the silvery tipping would be blue instead of black. Hmm! Makes me wonder. She's quite the mystery kitty isn't she. She's very cute no matter what coat-type she is and I'm so happy to have found her. Before she became mine I was told she had three kittens, and one of her kittens turned out to be a red/orange cat. Of course one of the father cats to her kittens could have just been a red/orange cat. ☺

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes red toms can get red dau, but not red sons.. If the red kitten was boy then we would know for sure she carries red, ie is a tortie

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got back on my computer to double check the dilute question/American shorthair. Here is a quote from the CFA American Shorthair breed standard:
"Diluted Shaded Tortiseshell:undercoat white. Mantle of blue tipping and clearly defined patches of cream tipped hairs as in the pattern of the blue cream. blaze of cream tipping on face is desirable. Eye color green or gold."
I have a question - were some of the photo you posted taken with a lamp being on? It looks it and usually a lamp will not show true color. One other color she could be is a silver patched tabby, but the patches should be clearly defined.