Panleukopenia Recovering Cat On The Edge Of Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pablo is a 5 months old kitten today is 25th day in panleukopeni recovery we got him home from clinical treatment on day 13. after a horrible case of throwing up and diarhea for 13 days he was good again eating and playing until day 22. for the past 2 days he has been sitting in the corner silently with dilated pupils . we is very fragile. we tried force feeding him baby food but when he is drooling it out (not passing his throat) he drank tons of water yesterday and threw up twice. in addition his third eyelid is closing sometimes with his eyes open. the vet said we did everything we could and nothing more could be done( he did get a full treatment of IVs and vitamins antibiotics...etc)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am so, so sorry things are not getting better for Pablo. I have no valuable information to offer, but I am putting a link here to your original post, just in case it might help others who read this post and aid them in sharing with you some firsthand knowledge.
Panleukopenia Recovery Inquiry
appreciated!

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please feel free to give us updates, if you want, or to just vent. We will be here for you, at least as much as we can do so through a forum.
Thanks alot you have been there since i started posting.

pablo still sits alone and doesnt eat at all but he doesnt look as bad as he did yesterday. however i noticed something extremely scary today, he layed on the ground and made a loud continious crunching noise with his mouth then threw up...any thoughts?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Everybody describes things differently - but, my guess would be the noise was probably coughing/hacking as a lot of cats do that right before they throw up. What did he throw up if he is not eating?

Can you possibly find any baby food, pate, etc. some food that he will lick off your finger? Is he drinking at all? Does he react to you being near him or sitting by him?

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everybody describes things differently - but, my guess would be the noise was probably coughing/hacking as a lot of cats do that right before they throw up. What did he throw up if he is not eating?

Can you possibly find any baby food, pate, etc. some food that he will lick off your finger? Is he drinking at all? Does he react to you being near him or sitting by him?
he completely cut off food yesterday ,i tried baby food fish flavor he didnt show interest we tried every single food that cats like...nothing.. he is drinking tons of water im slipping electrolyte vitamins and probiotics and sugar into the water. he is throwing up yellowish clear fluids. he looks slowly if i clap and very rarely approaches us. he purrs slightly sometimes at midnights. his movement is extremely weak he falls every couple steps.
he hangs alot over his water bowl and sometimes puts his hands inside while drinking .

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my. The yellowish colored vomit is likely bile, and is present probably because he is not eating.

Purring sometimes is a way for a cat to console themselves when they are not feeling well, so that is probably what you are hearing when he purrs by himself.

I will look for an article on this site that talks about all kinds of foods/gravies/etc. you could try to see if he would eat - some of them are more liquid than solid food so maybe he would take in some of that.

I know the vet said they didn't think they could do any more for Pablo, but perhaps they would be willing to treat him with anti-nausea medicine?

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Furballsmom posted a whole list of things you could try to feed him in your first post. It was the very first response you received after your initial post. Do you know how to find it?
i tried most of the things furrballmom suggested but it seems like he has no interest at all in eating im worried he has some underlying nervous problems. as for the purring he doesnt do it by himself. i lay beside him everyday till morning rubbing his head thats when he purrs usually

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was trying to go back through the posts to make sure I am not missing things I previously read. So, if I still mess up with my comments, forgive me.

I don't know where you are at and what vet services are available to you, but I think you need to get Pablo back into a vet - probably not the one you went to, because it seems s/he feels that they can't do more.

When there is a relapse, the big question is: do they start treatment all over again? - and, I can't answer that question.

But, Pablo will not improve if he won't eat. It's good that he is drinking, and it's good what you are putting in his water to help.

I am going to give you an article on distemper, just in case there is anything at all you can glean from it. It does indicate things like Vitamin B & C supplements that I am guessing he is not getting.
http://www.azvets.com/distemper-in-cats/

My heart is breaking for you and Pablo.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you and Pablo are going through this. So much of life makes no sense at all. You love will be a comfort to him even if he remains in his spot and doesn't cuddle. It's possible his joints are a little achy.

Since he isn't eating he will probably be cold. Can you make a rice sock? You fill a sock with rice and heat it in the microwave until it's warm and put it near, not quite against kit. Let him decide to move the last few inches to it or not. If not a rice sock, a hot water bottle? You can also make a little cave of blankets around him to keep the drafts away. Even if you're warm in the house, when one doesn't eat it seems cold.

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was trying to go back through the posts to make sure I am not missing things I previously read. So, if I still mess up with my comments, forgive me.

I don't know where you are at and what vet services are available to you, but I think you need to get Pablo back into a vet - probably not the one you went to, because it seems s/he feels that they can't do more.

When there is a relapse, the big question is: do they start treatment all over again? - and, I can't answer that question.

But, Pablo will not improve if he won't eat. It's good that he is drinking, and it's good what you are putting in his water to help.

I am going to give you an article on distemper, just in case there is anything at all you can glean from it. It does indicate things like Vitamin B & C supplements that I am guessing he is not getting.
http://www.azvets.com/distemper-in-cats/

My heart is breaking for you and Pablo.
i talked to several vets yesterday no one gave me any hope of treatment . i want advice however, i force fed him 9 hours ago and he threw up after 5 minutes which is the fastest vomit after feeding yet. should i force feed him again now or leave his tummy to rest?

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you and Pablo are going through this. So much of life makes no sense at all. You love will be a comfort to him even if he remains in his spot and doesn't cuddle. It's possible his joints are a little achy.

Since he isn't eating he will probably be cold. Can you make a rice sock? You fill a sock with rice and heat it in the microwave until it's warm and put it near, not quite against kit. Let him decide to move the last few inches to it or not. If not a rice sock, a hot water bottle? You can also make a little cave of blankets around him to keep the drafts away. Even if you're warm in the house, when one doesn't eat it seems cold.
we have him in a room that is properly heated 24/7
thanks alot for your care appreciated <3

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, let him rest at least a half hour between attempts. Every feeding will be exhausting to him. He'll need to recover.

I'd try egg yoke, either raw and warmed or soft boiled and cooled to body temperature. Dip your fingertip into it and hold it close to his nose. Make no more than one attempt at a session to smear it on his gums.

I'm glad you have a room you can keep at 78-80 F. It's similar to heart patients, the very ill feel cold because their blood doesn't circulate well. You'll notice the cardiac floor/wing at hospitals is warmer than the rest of the hospital.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure you are going to hate me soon, but here is an article about someone who used high doses of Vitamin D on a cat has distemper and the vet was out of medical options. It comes in drops and could be added to Pablo's water since he is drinking a lot still.

Successful treatment for feline distemper?

The only caution I will add is that I have heard of Vitamin D being toxic at too high levels. If you could manage to find one of these vets you talked to that would at least entertain such a treatment and be kind enough to recommend a safe dosage.

Last edited:

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sure you are going to hate me soon, but here is an article about someone who used high doses of Vitamin D on a cat has distemper and the vet was out of medical options. It comes in drops and could be added to Pablo's water since he is drinking a lot still.

Successful treatment for feline distemper?

The only caution I will add is that I have heard of Vitamin D being toxic at too high levels. If you could manage to find one of these vets you talked to that would at least entertain such a treatment and be kind enough to recommend a safe dosage.
very interesting i will go to the vet right now for some vitamin D pills

ray7667

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MAJOR UPDATE

pablo now no longer eats and refuses to drink and lost ability to walk he can walk 1 step but he collapses he has been laying down for 3 days now and his heart rate is very high when i hold him.
i did give him a vitamin D pills as you recommended yesterday but at this point i do not know what i should do.

Status
Not open for further replies.