Panicur And Diarrhea In Kitten

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 to 5 week old kitten. He had soft stool but it was formed. He started panicur and 2 hours later he had bad diarrhea. Is this a normal response to panicur? im wondering if its the panicur causing the diarrhea or something else. He just came from a feral colony so he probably has worms. Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Was this the shelter or a vet that prescribed the panicur? Are you talking to a vet?

Be sure and keep him warm, and also try rubbing some slightly diluted honey on his gums, and ask the vet if goat milk would be ok to give, as well as unflavored Pedialyte.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Was this the shelter or a vet that prescribed the panicur? Are you talking to a vet?

Be sure and keep him warm, and also try rubbing some slightly diluted honey on his gums, and ask the vet if goat milk would be ok to give, as well as unflavored Pedialyte.
Hi, thank you for the reply I will add pedialyte to their food. The rescue I'm fostering with gave me the panacur and wants them on a 5 day course

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea was likely caused by the panacur. How is your kitten doing now?
The kitten has bad diarrhea still, a little worse then yesterday. This is his 3rd day on panacur and it started 2 hours after his first dose. He has lost weight from the diarrhea. I spoke to the rescue and they said it's the panacur causing it and as long as he is eating and seems healthy not to worry. He is eating, playing and acting normal, but he has lost weight so im really concerned.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten has bad diarrhea still, a little worse then yesterday. This is his 3rd day on panacur and it started 2 hours after his first dose. He has lost weight from the diarrhea. I spoke to the rescue and they said it's the panacur causing it and as long as he is eating and seems healthy not to worry. He is eating, playing and acting normal, but he has lost weight so im really concerned.
Give lotsa of pedialyte, as he needs compensation of the lost electrolytes / salts, and of course the fluid as such.

Some probiotic is useful, BeneBac is good, but common full fat unflavored youghurt helps too. If this youghurt has added extra some healthy bacteria cultures, its even better.
The same tip btw always when they get antibiotics.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All my cats diarrhea went away a day or two after starting a round of fenbendazole, it came back which is another story. Maybe it could be coccidia.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would stop the panacur. See if the diarrhea clears. If not, try Albon or ponazuril. I’m sorry it’s no better.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't had success with albon, I'd use toltrozuril or ponazuril. There was a study done where toltrozuril was given 3 times a week for two weeks which eliminated coccidia in all the cats treated, I've found it works in just a couple of doses.