Panic When I'm Showering (the Kitty That Is)

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey folks---I've got a rather perplexing issue that I've never had with any of my kitties.

My current girl, who is almost 5 months, has developed a strange anxiety reaction when I shower--she cries and really yowls when I'm showering. Last week, she went as far as to try to jump through the shower curtain from my sink...TWICE. She fell both times, the second time taking my towels with her, and that subdued her a bit. I gave her cuddles and kisses and she ran off eager to play. For some reason, she just freaks out lately when I'm showering.

She didn't start this way when she was really little, and she plays in the shower and isn't afraid of it....but she meows rather sharply the second I turn on the spray. I'm a bit baffled! I've taken her into the shower with me (while I'm dressed and no water going) and held her and let her look around---she also does this if I'm washing the dishes or prepping food.

I see the vet this week for her second set of shots so I'll mention this to him, but I'm wondering if she maybe is into a 'clingy' phase? I want to get another kitten, but I need to get her spayed first before I can finance another. Other than that, she's fine! Playful, hyper, mischievous, good appetite---a bit finicky when it comes to wet food, but her second molars are coming in and I know she's not feeling 100%. When I try to look at her teeth, she's very fussy.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think your cat is young and gets anxiety when she feels "removed" from you (in the shower), and when you are not giving her your full attention (washing dishes, preparing food). I think she is still young and insecure in her environment...and you are her security blanket.

Try using a clear plastic shower curtain, so she can see you when you shower. Leave some treats or food just outside the shower to divert her pleasantly.

When you are in the kitchen working, have some mice, balls, or toys you can throw out to let her know you are still engaged with her. Throw a couple of treats her way too.

I once had a cat who actually jumped into the bathtub with me. Yes, she had her claws. Plenty of yowling and screaming went on there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good LORD!! That woman with the Siamese kitties on the video! I had a siamese growing up and had forgotten how LOUD they are! Hahaah. My girl just squeaks...but she can carry on. I do have a sheer curtain and keep it open a bit so she can see me, but then she just squeaks even louder. Once, I didn't tell her I was showering as she was in the porch, and figured I could sneak in and she wouldn't notice. Good Lord! She held a meow for a full minute and the tone was 'don't you EVER do that to me again!" ahahahhaaha. She's currently fly hunting :D