Pancreatitus IBD Help Eating

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh what a long journey in such a short time.....

My Roo has chronic Pancreatitis w IBD and SIBO. Dr diagnosed w EPI also, but levels are normal.

20210422_141517.jpg

So we're on Prednisolone, and waiting for Tyloson. Started B12 injections.

My question is this, what has helped your cat the most in eating? Controlling the pain w meds, anti-nausea meds, or appetite stimulants? Or a combination?

Thanks!!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask the vet for Fortiflora personally. It's a good appetite enhancer, and probiotics and has some ingredients to support the immune system a bit too.

Fortiflora alone did not help me when my cat had another digestive trouble. Making pate food softer by mixing it with extra water, maybe warming it up a bit, and Fortiflora on top of it helped to get her eat with handfeeding.

Mine goes crazy for boiled chicken or turkey breast. If yours is like that too, you can try very small pieces several times a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually the fortiflora and freeze dried Whole Life Just One chicken has been 2 things Ive recently discovered work very well!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
kmbishop111 kmbishop111 , ALL the things you mentioned should help with the appetite, plus the addition of B12. Any of them might help, but all should really help.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pancreatitis can be particularly miserable for both the cat and the parent. You may need more medicine than pred, tylosin, and B12. I would also ask for Cerenia (anti-emetic that also has some pancreas-specific action too) and Mirtazapine (appetite stimulant) or Mirtaz (transdermal form) prescriptions. I also recommend getting as many of these medicines compounded into easy (transdermal) or appealing (treats or flavored liquids) formulations. I highly recommend Wedgewood. They have excellent customer service and a huge variety of available drugs and formulations. Your vet has to call or fax in the prescription. But then they’ll call you to confirm the formulation. Shipping is quick.
Veterinary Pharmacy

That said, I would give the pred a week at least before trying those other drugs. Pred could stimulate his appetite significantly.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My question is this, what has helped your cat the most in eating? Controlling the pain w meds, anti-nausea meds, or appetite stimulants? Or a combination?
For our cat a combination worked best. As daftcat75 daftcat75 mentioned Mirtazapine in a transdermal gel worked wonders for his appetite plus he was one Prednisolone. The vet also gave us Urgent Care A/D food which he devoured. I always keep a few extra cans in the house just in case he has another flare-up in his Pancreatitis. Hill's Prescription Diet a/d Wet Dog/Cat Food

Pawsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh what a long journey in such a short time.....

My Roo has chronic Pancreatitis w IBD and SIBO. Dr diagnosed w EPI also, but levels are normal.

View attachment 378264

So we're on Prednisolone, and waiting for Tyloson. Started B12 injections.

Thanks!!
Hello, I know you posted about Roo two years ago, but I'm currently dealing with an EPI diagnosis. Can you tell me how you ultimately decided to treat your cat. Did you add pancreatic enzymes to his food? Did he eat it? What type of food did you feed Roo? How is he doing these days? Thank you !

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello, I know you posted about Roo two years ago, but I'm currently dealing with an EPI diagnosis. Can you tell me how you ultimately decided to treat your cat. Did you add pancreatic enzymes to his food? Did he eat it? What type of food did you feed Roo? How is he doing these days? Thank you !
Their last post was last April (2022) so don't be surprised if you don't get a response. You could also try starting a conversation with them, which should generate an email to them. Click on their Avatar (pink circle with the P in it) and a dialog box will open. Click on "state a conversation and start typing :). Hoping you get an answer

Pawsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Their last post was last April (2022) so don't be surprised if you don't get a response. You could also try starting a conversation with them, which should generate an email to them. Click on their Avatar (pink circle with the P in it) and a dialog box will open. Click on "state a conversation and start typing :). Hoping you get an answer
Thank you Mrsgreenjeens, this is my first issue I've ever used this website for, so I don't know how to use it. :)