pals rewards from petco

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I signed up for it in dec 2012 and just got a coupon for 10% off of any purchase and 25% off of any dog toy in the mail YAY i'm definitely going to use it next time I go to petco

and I like the pals rewards because I can get Solid gold dry cat food cheaper then what other none pal rewards people pay :p

and other items cheaper

if you receive coupons in the mail from petco or any other pet store what is your saving %?

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I signed up for it in dec 2012 and just got a coupon for 10% off of any purchase and 25% off of any dog toy in the mail YAY i'm definitely going to use it next time I go to petco

and I like the pals rewards because I can get Solid gold dry cat food cheaper then what other none pal rewards people pay :p
and other items cheaper

if you receive coupons in the mail from petco or any other pet store what is your saving %?
The savings % depends upon the coupon and generally the time of year. Most coupon savings are between 10 and 15% in my experience. If you combine them with sales prices your saving are significantly greater. Petsmart's Friends and Family Events every 3 or 4 months really provide me with a lot of savings. I automatically get a 15% discount PLUS I get the coupon taken off. The last event I save 33% total between the discount and coupons :clap:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agree with Mike; depends.  I really like the coupon for $5 off anything in the store, which I get after I spend $100 at PetCo.  Pet Smart doesn't seem to have as many coupons, but their prices are generally cheaper than Petco.  I don't buy a lot of cat food at Petco because they are more expensive than Petsmart or even the local grocery store.  I fed Raw to Ritz, canned/dry food to the ferals.

I use the $5 to buy a toy or treat for Ritz like cat grass. 

Also, occasionally a pet food company will have deals where you can essentially get free food (with proper form and proof of purchase).  I learned about this deal from the online site of Petco (or was it PetSmart?).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with Mike; depends.  I really like the coupon for $5 off anything in the store, which I get after I spend $100 at PetCo.  Pet Smart doesn't seem to have as many coupons, but their prices are generally cheaper than Petco.  I don't buy a lot of cat food at Petco because they are more expensive than Petsmart or even the local grocery store.  I fed Raw to Ritz, canned/dry food to the ferals.

I use the $5 to buy a toy or treat for Ritz like cat grass. 

Also, occasionally a pet food company will have deals where you can essentially get free food (with proper form and proof of purchase).  I learned about this deal from the online site of Petco (or was it PetSmart?).
i don't want to hear about petsmart i do not like them and do not have a petsmart the one time i was in petsmart they was rude to me so i left and there store closed

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious why you don't like Petsmart? If I never went to a chain store again after ONE employee was rude to me, I'd run out of places to shop :lol3:. It's not the fault of the entire chain when one person is a jerk. Where would you shop if someone at PetCo is rude to you? Of course if there isn't one in the area, that can't be helped, but you always seem so adamant about disliking Petsmart that it makes me wonder why. Just call me curious! :tongue2:

But, yeah, with PetCo usually it's a 10% off coupon or a $5 coupon. Don't think I've ever gotten anything different.

Last edited:

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i don't want to hear about petsmart i do not like them and do not have a petsmart the one time i was in petsmart they was rude to me so i left and there store closed
Well that's nice.  It is possible to just ignore the information that people give that isn't relevant to you

I don't often take advantage of the coupons and such, but the discounts alone from the pals card are enough of a reason to use it.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm curious why you don't like Petsmart? If I never went to a chain store again after ONE employee was rude to me, I'd run out of places to shop
. It's not the fault of the entire chain when one person is a jerk. Where would you shop if someone at PetCo is rude to you? Of course if there isn't one in the area, that can't be helped, but you always seem so adamant about disliking Petsmart that it makes me wonder why. Just call me curious!

But, yeah, with PetCo usually it's a 10% off coupon or a $5 coupon. Don't think I've ever gotten anything different.
it was all the employees that was rude to me

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it was all the employees that was rude to me
Still. . .no reason to avoid a whole chain. It's not like that's in their training material or anything--"and always be rude to Mewlittle when she comes in". . .:tongue2:

Although, if they couldn't find any good employees, that would explain why they didn't stay open, I guess.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still. . .no reason to avoid a whole chain. It's not like that's in their training material or anything--"and always be rude to Mewlittle when she comes in". . .

Although, if they couldn't find any good employees, that would explain why they didn't stay open, I guess.
i think they closed because they was rude and no one wanted to work there because of the rude employees and ever since they closed i haven't found any more pet smarts around my area i do have 2 petcos but i go to the closest one only :p if a petsmart ever opens up near me or if i move close to one then i'll try them again if i get the same rudness why even keep trying? and petsmartr.com don't let you order most of there stuff online thou :/ like petco

spiderplant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I find the PetSmart employees here to be a little too nice. :)  I'm glad they opened up, though, as many shelter cats have been adopted there and they have decent sales.  

I generally avoided supporting PetCo when I lived near one(well..many) and I always found better deals at a local store anyway.  We have a feed store here and fortunately they don't sell animals(aside from fish) and have a fairly good selection of premium cat foods.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I find the PetSmart employees here to be a little too nice. :)  I'm glad they opened up, though, as many shelter cats have been adopted there and they have decent sales.  

I generally avoided supporting PetCo when I lived near one(well..many) and I always found better deals at a local store anyway.  We have a feed store here and fortunately they don't sell animals(aside from fish) and have a fairly good selection of premium cat foods.
whats wrong with petco? i haven't found any thing wrong with them except there bathroom is always disgusting like over flowing toilets i almost peed my pants in petco because i could find a clean restoom in any stores in my area only reason why i got to pee is because mcdonalds was right near petco :p

rural king kroger rent one petco had disgusting toilets -_- i kinda ranted about the restrooms sorry

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people prefer not to support pet stores that sell any animals (usually they make exceptions for fish :tongue2:), and especially the larger animals like ferrets and rabbits. At least Petsmart doesn't have ferrets, I wish they wouldn't sell chinchillas either.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people prefer not to support pet stores that sell any animals (usually they make exceptions for fish
), and especially the larger animals like ferrets and rabbits. At least Petsmart doesn't have ferrets, I wish they wouldn't sell chinchillas either.
petco's cats and dogs come from a shelter i do not know about the other pets thou

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people prefer not to support pet stores that sell any animals (usually they make exceptions for fish
), and especially the larger animals like ferrets and rabbits. At least Petsmart doesn't have ferrets, I wish they wouldn't sell chinchillas either.
Petsmart sells chinchillas?  I've never seen them in any around here.
petco's cats and dogs come from a shelter i do not know about the other pets thou
Our Petsmart cats come from a local rescue organization.  I believe the petco cats generally come from a shelter.  I believe that most (if not all) of Petco's ferrets come from Marshall ferrets.  Most of the big ferret people that I know refer to Marshall as basically the ferret equivalent of a puppy mill. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petsmart sells chinchillas?  I've never seen them in any around here.
Yep. They don't always have them, but occasionally. They're kept in the large cage on the end of the display (I don't know if all Petsmarts have the same cage setup). There are always either guinea pigs or chinchillas in that cage.

At least PetCo stopped selling large parrots. That was the worst, I thought. Pets who are that emotionally needy and long-lived should never be sold in a big-box store where they could be bought on impulse.

Our Petsmart cats come from a local rescue organization.  I believe the petco cats generally come from a shelter.  I believe that most (if not all) of Petco's ferrets come from Marshall ferrets.  Most of the big ferret people that I know refer to Marshall as basically the ferret equivalent of a puppy mill. 
The Petsmart cat area here takes turns with the Humane Society and a local cat rescue. PetCo here has only has the rescue group's cats, so far. They both have dog rescues come in for events, but neither one keeps dogs in the store.

Yeah, Marshall Farms is is the primary ferret mill, and they also breed other small animals. PetCo used to have Marshall's rabbits, too, but I haven't seen any lately.

Last edited:

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. They don't always have them, but occasionally. They're kept in the large cage on the end of the display (I don't know if all Petsmarts have the same cage setup). There are always either guinea pigs or chinchillas in that cage.

At least PetCo stopped selling large parrots. That was the worst, I thought. Pets who are that emotionally needy and long-lived should never be sold in a big-box store where they could be bought on impulse.
The Petsmart cat area here takes turns with the Humane Society and a local cat rescue. PetCo here has only has the rescue group's cats, so far. They both have dog rescues come in for events, but neither one keeps dogs in the store.

Yeah, Marshall Farms is is the primary ferret mill, and they also breed other small animals. PetCo used to have Marshall's rabbits, too, but I haven't seen any lately.
my petco's cats rabbits etc or in a clear none metal cage hard to explain i have a picture of one of the kittys they had

spiderplant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some people prefer not to support pet stores that sell any animals (usually they make exceptions for fish )
Sadly fish(and herps) are the most neglected, mistreated animals in the industry, unfortunately.  I'm a hypocrite as I have both fish and a snake..mostly "rescues" but a few fish were purchased from a pet store.  

We have a local pet store that sells puppies(puppy mill) and kittens(whoever dumps them off).  I wish they would AT LEAST neuter/spay these animals before selling them(for $50-800).

Last edited:

aharris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When it comes to fish, you have to really know what you're looking at. Some few big box stores have employees who know how to run aquariums and fish departments and will do everything they can to take care of the stock and order in good stock from decent sources (or as decent as their store will allow them). We have one such PetCo in our area. The manager happens to know a little something about fish and the trade. They never carry the abominable dyed fish, for example. And they will occasionally carry something a little out of the ordinary. The tanks are generally clean and well kempt.

When you are a hobbyist, you get to know which stores are worth patronizing and which aren't in terms of stock potential.

I would imagine that the herps secton are the same. The problem is that it really is buyer beware. The best way to handle shopping for fish in a big box is to know the hobby yourself. Too often, you see clerks selling patrons a new set up + a full tank of fish all on the same day. What they're really doing is dooming those people to failure. Or you see them selling people fish that will quickly outgrow the tank the patron has. Or you see them selling people completely mismatched mixes of fish that are entirely incompatible with one another. It's a shame really. A lot of long-term money gets killed in that first disastrous sale.

aharris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're called painted fish a lot of times or "strawberry" or "blueberry" this or that. They take a fish like a glass fish or maybe an albino oscar, and they hand inject dye under the fish's skin. It kills lots of fish in the process. They sell the ones that live. The dye colors only last for a short while before they start to fade. The dye compromises the fish's immune system and does all sorts of things like that (the traumatic dying process also compromises because stress lowers immunity, too).

The glow fish are different. They come by their colors naturally in a sense. They've been genetically modified to have a jellyfish gene that makes them bioluminescent in the dark. Some people consider them "franken-fish" and some people consider them more or less fine. The extra genes don't appear to impact their health in any significant way.

You also have to watch when you buy African cichlids. The Haplochromine cichlids like peacocks, dolphins and other similar tend to be ugly ducklings as the 1 to 2" fry that dealers usually sell them as. They are visually gorgeous adults, but they don't color up until they get to be 3 or 4" in length (or more some get quite large). To get around this problem, wholesalers will sometimes feed hormone saturated food to them to get them to show mature characteristics at an extremely young/small age. Once again, the hormonal influence and the color will fade when you get them home, and when they color up again later on, there is some evidence to suggest the early hormones will damage their later color potential.

African mbuna cichlids are a little different. They're colorful pretty much from the start.