Pale Spots On Kitten’s Lower Lip?

sheelalu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
My 10 month old baby had some spots on her lower lip (i’ll attach pictures). I don’t know how long they’ve been there but she doesn’t seem to be bothered by them. They’re only on the right side of her mouth. They look mostly flat in the pictures but they are slightly raised. Does anyone know what this could be? Should I get her to the vet? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet but I think those are normal bumps as part of her lip as it goes around her mouth.
However, you're saying she doesn't have those on the other side? Do you have a regular vet visit scheduled in the next months? Or, does your vet allow you to send in photos?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That part of the lip is sort of. . .serrated might be the word? Bumps are normal. I suspect the bumps and the pigmentation are separate things. But it wouldn't hurt to have the vet take a look the next time you're in :).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
That part of the lip is sort of. . .serrated might be the word?
I couldn't think how to put it at all, this is a good description, I think :thumbsup:

But as everyone is mentioning, a hands-on look by a vet would be good.

Unless you see the bumps growing, and having photos will make that easier to track, you're probably fine waiting to see the vet until you're in for something else. If they start growing, don't wait.

Let us know how things go with you and your furbaby :)

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi sheelalu and welcome to the forum !

The raised areas you're asking about are certainly not normal.

Now, whether or not they are significant by way of a concern....that would best be answered by a competent veterinary professional.

But........there's something else in the first picture which definitely needs some attention. Look at the large tooth that's foremost there (the "upper canine") and look at its base. Do you see the bright red area around the base? Notice, too, that the area of the surrounding gum has a reddish tint. That looks to me like early dental disease. She's only 10 months old, so it's likely not far advanced.

If she's going to the Vet soon anyway, you can probably wait 'till then to have it all looked at. If not, it is worthwhile booking her in.

It may be that all that's needed is for you to begin getting her accustomed to tooth brushing. Check with the Vet first. The younger cats are, the easier it is to have them accept having it done. In any case, going slowly in baby steps over a period of time is key to success. There is a set of 4 short videos that explain everything in minutes: Brushing Your Cat's Teeth | Partners in Animal Health

Hope that helps !