Oy Oscar-please Help

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So since his major problems in Nov. (crystals) Oscar has been doing great with his box (and I gave him more options and cleaned them more). There were maybe 1 or two times he went a drop in my sink but nothing major. I did however leave the sinks dripping in an effort to deter him from using them instead of his box. On Thursday I noticed him sniffing around the sink like he wanted to go to the bathroom but I turned the sink on to try to discourage it (might not have been the best on on my part). On Friday Oscar woke me up earlier than usual but I rolled over and went back to bed. After I fed them at around 6:30am in went back into my room and saw/felt that a spot on my comforter was damp and smelled like urine. I tried not to panic. I got rid of the comforter, changed the sheets and gave them a few treats on the bed to remind them that the bed is not a box. Later that day I deep cleaned to boxes (scrubbed them and all new litter) and saw that it was clearly time for them to be cleaned (it had only been 10 days since I last cleaned them but for some reason this time they seemed extra dirty). I hoped it was just his way of telling me the box was dirty and went about the rest of my weekend (didn't want to stress them out with a trip to the vet if it was nothing as it upsets them). Saturday and Sunday nothing happened. This morning we got up like normal at 6:30am and I scooped the box and saw he had gone a bit. Later at around 7am in got back into bed and he and Felix started to romp. Next thing I knew Oscar as on my bed pawing at my feet. I did not think much of it as I figured he was just playing (he sometimes digs and paws at things before he settles down but then I felt Felix doing it which is not normal. I sat up and felt/saw/smelled a damp spot sorta near when Friday's mistake was. I got out of bed, stripped the sheets, replaced the feliway, gave them a snack on the bed and we all walked out into the living room. Once there I saw Oscar willingly hop in his box and go to the bathroom a pretty good amount. I am not sure what to do here or what this means. Could it be a medical thing as he went 3 times in less them 3 hours? Could it be I did not clean the bed well enough the first time and he could still smell pee? (I got rid of the comforter and changed the sheets but I did leave the blanket so maybe some of the odor lingered...)
Please help-I am at a loss as to what to do

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Could it be a medical thing as he went 3 times in less them 3 hours?
...plus you mentioned that the litter box seemed extra dirty too.

I'm wondering, like you are, if it is medical.

Can you get him in to the vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet is coming on Thursday

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
vet is coming on thursday (maybe tomorrow if I get lucky)
im the meantime I cleaned the bed with natures miracle within an inch of its life and are not letting them in the bedroom for like a week in an effort to break the habit (I am camping out in the spare room so they don't get stressed because I am not with them-they are used to sleeping with me). Tomorrow we get some cat attract and when i do finally let them them back in I am going to make sure to give them treats and love on the bed so they think of it not as a box
do you think that will fix it (providing he does not need meds)

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks I am scared to death...
also is this play? (just want to double check with all this going on)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks like play, the black kitty is being rather dominant but your other kitty is hanging in there.

If this kind of thing goes on all the time, maybe separate them now and then so the other kitty can get a break, or do they sleep together? If they sleep all snuggled up, bathe each other and that sort of thing, then maybe never mind about separating them.

:vibes::crossfingers: :redheartpump:

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
after about 5 min I do step in and break them up or try to give them a toy to play with instead. It happens daily for a few minutes here and there. Sometimes they sleep together, sometimes the sleep in the same room, sometimes they lick each other (and sometimes that licking turns into romping). they do not actively avoid each other, eat side by side with no problem, other and sometimes sleep on top of each other on me

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm envisioning this -

ooof, watch those pointy toes

gracious sakes, cat, step more carefully - I happen to LIKE my bladder just the way it is

ok, you two, breathing is a good thing. If you don't let mom breath, you won't be getting breakfast

:seesaw: :lol:

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So vet gave Oscar a clean bill of health so I am thinking he might have just been upset about the boxes being not up to his standards and the sink being on and the second time was because the bed still had a bit of the smell on since I had nt used natures miracle-what do you guys think?
in the meantime he has gone back in my food and had some snacks on my bed then went to the bathroom in his litter box so maybe it is going to be ok?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could very well be, and I will absolutely be keeping my fingers crossed that he's back to ok!!