Owners Of Flat-faced Cats, I Need Your Input!

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cinnabon's my two-year-old Exotic Shorthair. She has always had an issue with tear stains. Because the fold on the right side of her face (the crease that is right next to her nose) is deeper than the left, tear staining is more of a problem for the right side (a lot of the times I don't even have to clean the left side at all). If I don't clean her face multiple times a day, the stains on the right side will dry up and develop a black crust.

Recently I've noticed that when I pull the right fold back, there is a patch right next to her nose that is nearly hairless. This is not true for the left side. Is this because she has had so much staining? I'm debating taking her to the vet, but I wanted to ask if any other owners of flat-faced cats who have tear stain issues have noticed something similar.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started using a product called "Angel's Eyes" and that helps with the staining. I still have to clean his face a few times a day but it is not as severe. You do want to keep the area as dry as you can. Bacteria will grow in the wetness and creates the stains. I got the powder that I mix with his moist food every morning. I also have the wipes but, I dry the area after using them. Hope this helps you like it did me. My boy is a seal lynx point Himilayan (persian). Good luck. Here is my boy. As you can see, he has weeping issues. I use damp cotton rounds to clean the goobers and then use a dry one to dry the face. I don't use the wipes every day. You have to be careful not to get in the eyes. The most important thing is to keep the area dry. It can get infected and cause sores.

Home (Angel's Eyes website)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy isn't a flat-face (although his left eye gets weepy). Anyway, I've noticed that area is hairless on both sides of his nose.

I've read that colloidal silver can be helpful?

Also there's this post;

Extreme Persian Eye Maintaince
Furballsmom, would it be possible for you to post or send me a picture of your boy's nose and what that looks like, so I can have a frame of reference? I'd much appreciate it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let me know if you can see that, --i never would have guessed getting a picture of a truly black cat (black fur AND black skin) would be challenging LOL, and I don't know how definitive the difference between his bare skin right next to his nose, compared to where the fur starts to grow...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You do want to keep the area as dry as you can. Bacteria will grow in the wetness and creates the stains.
:yeah: Ditto!

I also have a Persian guy and one side tends to have tear stains more than the other. It's not severe but I follow my vet's instructions. You may want to contact your vet since they know Cinnabon and her medical history.

Here is an Article that discusses tear stains and offers 5 treatment tips:
Tear Stains In Cats (including 5 Actionable Treatment Tips)
Please note #3 in the Article - I bought a special comb from our vet's office similar to the one shown here.

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your progress. :hangin:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the fold is against the skin, the friction area could explain the loss of hair and failure to re-grow.
Is the area bothering him at all? If not, I wouldn't worry much so long as it doesn't cause him problems.
On Angels eyes, I've seen this stuff work (mostly on dogs). But I've heard rumors that it does contain a low dose antibiotic but I don't know if that's true or not :dunno:

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neely, in the article you linked, the white Persian cat in the picture has eye crusts that look very similar to what Cinnabon's does when the tear stains dry. Does your Persian have the bald spot where the tearing keeps happening as well?

PerfectlySaneCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the fold is against the skin, the friction area could explain the loss of hair and failure to re-grow.
Is the area bothering him at all? If not, I wouldn't worry much so long as it doesn't cause him problems.
On Angels eyes, I've seen this stuff work (mostly on dogs). But I've heard rumors that it does contain a low dose antibiotic but I don't know if that's true or not :dunno:
No, she's not bothered at all and her behavior is the same as always - she eats well, plays, etc. I'll be keeping an eye on it for sure, but that's reassuring.

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just cleaned Theodore's face. I use damp cotton rounds (cotton balls that have been pressed into a pancake shape) to clean the goopy stuff and then I go back with an "Angel's Eyes" pad. I wring out the pad and wipe the same areas then I go back with a tissue to dry the area. His face keeps looking better. He has been on this process for about a month now. Here is how he look right after I cleaned him today. I normally have to clean his face a couple times at least but I only use the Angel's Eyes once a day. He also gets the Angel's Eyes powder mixed with his wet food every morning. It is hard because he has markings under his eyes that get darker when wet.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just cleaned Theodore's face. I use damp cotton rounds (cotton balls that have been pressed into a pancake shape) to clean the goopy stuff and then I go back with an "Angel's Eyes" pad. I wring out the pad and wipe the same areas then I go back with a tissue to dry the area. His face keeps looking better. He has been on this process for about a month now. Here is how he look right after I cleaned him today. I normally have to clean his face a couple times at least but I only use the Angel's Eyes once a day. He also gets the Angel's Eyes powder mixed with his wet food every morning. It is hard because he has markings under his eyes that get darker when wet.
He's gorgeous!

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are more work. But, the rewards are worth it. Persians and Himilayans just have such neat personalities. I have had 4 before Theodore. Each was unique in his own way. This guy is smart! The camera absolutely LOVES him!

Last edited: