Overwhelmed training cat for microchip feeder

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought my oldest a microchip feeder, however, feeling overwhelmed with training her. Mainly due to having two other cats and being unable to leave the feeder in training mode (partially closed lid when not in use) due to the other cats wanting to pry lid or push head in to get at the food.

Normally, they are fed upstairs, however I have been bringing the feeder downstairs after meals to keep oldest with me with door closed. Sometimes it takes a few hours for her to go back and eat all of her food. I just worry this will be confusing for her, and make it harder to try transitioning the feeder to upstairs after she is using in regular mode.

Prior to bringing feeder downstairs, I tried leaving upstairs in training mode while watching. If the other kitties are too close, my oldest seems uninterested to even try eating out of the feeder. She would walk into the dining room and sit by the deck door, which was unusal for her, and be resistent if I tried to coax her to eat out of the feeder. She does fine eating out of it downstairs in training mode though. Occasionally she doens't stick her head in far enough and it doesn't open, but going well outside of that.

I guess I can keep feeder down here after I transfer leftover from her meals into the feeder. I just worry about it being confusing for her.

I've tried getting the other two kitties downstairs to leave the feeder upstairs in training mode, but this has proved too stressful bc kitties won't come downstairs or my oldest will follow them. I know getting into a routine would be helpful, although I'm limited energy and patience due to chronic illness and also feel bad about shutting any of the cats upstairs or downstairs as they beg to come downstairs with me when closed out of the area.

Looking for any tips that have helped others.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it took about two weeks for Lelia to get it. The first two steps (getting her to even eat out of it open, and the first training mode where it moved ever so slightly) were the hardest for her. Once she was used to it, the other steps went fairly fast.

She wasn't on a special diet, though, so while I think I tried to take food out, it wasn't a huge deal if Sparkle ate her food while she was learning.

I don't know how routine driven she is, but we've moved since I put Lelia on the surefeed, as well as rearranged the room the bowls were in several times, and she's never had a problem eating somewhere different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. After a few nights of her using the feeder closed all the way, I tried leaving upstairs and food was gone in morning. So things worked out!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 of the SurePet microchip feeders. Both of my girls are on separate diets. I'm glad I got the connected because I can track how the girls are eating.
This is great to hear! I'm glad they work for you and cross my fingers that one would work for our cat who grazes.

SurePet seems to be out of stock in most places right now so I've been focusing on MiBowl... they both have pluses and minuses (other than being in or out of stock!) so it's kind of a tossup, even in terms of price since I'd want the rear cover accessory for the SurePet to keep the scavenger cat from nosing in on her sister's meals!

Thank you again! I'd be happy for any advice or tips you might have about using a microchip feeder.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Check the surepet website. Sometimes things are in stock there and not in elsewhere. I had to get pink split bowls so I can keep track of who is getting which food. After payday I'm investing in the connected water bowl so I can monitor their drinking.

I have the bowls on a table edge by a window so they don't try getting around each other. The feeder in the middle is going away. Fancy needs rabbit protein no peas and Delilah needs lower calorie food no fish or fish oil.
20230227_064233.jpg

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the surepet website. Sometimes things are in stock there and not in elsewhere. I had to get pink split bowls so I can keep track of who is getting which food. After payday I'm investing in the connected water bowl so I can monitor their drinking.

I have the bowls on a table edge by a window so they don't try getting around each other. The feeder in the middle is going away. Fancy needs rabbit protein no peas and Delilah needs lower calorie food no fish or fish oil.
View attachment 445780
I already ordered the MiBowl... I love that the back is enclosed and there's a front clip-on section that (theoretically anyway!) should help keep Edwina from horning in on Ireland's food. Edwina's really terrible about that and Ireland's a pushover (who thinks she's an alpha) so I need all the help I can get.

I really like how you put the bowls at the edge of the table. I'd been trying to think of spots (corners or next to furniture) where I could do something like that but this is much better! Thank you for the idea.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No problem. I put them on the table because I have back problems. I splurged on the connected model so I can track their eating. I get a message whenever they're eating and the app tracks their eating patterns

Attachments

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem. I put them on the table because I have back problems. I splurged on the connected model so I can track their eating. I get a message whenever they're eating and the app tracks their eating patterns
Wow! That could be really helpful with a cat that doesn't eat well.

The table idea is particularly appealing to me because I have knee problems, plus it would cut the feeder off from Edwina on two sides...

The feeder is shipping and will allegedly arrive on Saturday. I'm really crossing my fingers that Ireland will use it! Thanks again for your ideas.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fancy took to it quickly. Delilah took around 3 weeks. But now neither cat feels like they have to eat everything immediately. Fancy is a grazer. Delilah will eat it all within an hour. I have chairs on either side of the table so they don't have a big jump. I have to take away the kibble drop feeder. I may put the water bowl there after I get the connected one.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy took to it quickly. Delilah took around 3 weeks. But now neither cat feels like they have to eat everything immediately. Fancy is a grazer. Delilah will eat it all within an hour. I have chairs on either side of the table so they don't have a big jump. I have to take away the kibble drop feeder. I may put the water bowl there after I get the connected one.
It's good to be prepared for three weeks! Ireland tends to be skittish so we'll see how she does.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not knowing your cat, be prepared to go back and forth in training modes.
Yes, I suspect you're right! Did Delilah? I can't imagine Ireland taking to it immediately, then again she does surprise me a lot....

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fancy took to it in a couple of days. I think she realized when it was closed Delilah couldn't get into her food. Though I trained them before Fancy was identified with food sensitivity. I was just trying to keep them from getting into each other's food. Fancy needed to gain weight and Delilah needs to lose weight.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy took to it in a couple of days. I think she realized when it was closed Delilah couldn't get into her food. Though I trained them before Fancy was identified with food sensitivity. I was just trying to keep them from getting into each other's food. Fancy needed to gain weight and Delilah needs to lose weight.
This is so familiar! Ireland (the one with the feeder) could use to gain (or at least maintain) weight but Edwina could stand to lose a little. They've been fed separately for years because Edwina will push her way into Ireland's dish. Each is wary of the other when they eat. Edwina can eat a night snack out of an old-fashioned feeder with a timer because Ireland doesn't like the food I put in it but Edwina loves (but can't have) the dry food that Ireland likes and needs to snack on during the night. Hence the microchip feeder for Ireland!

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fancy can only have rabbit. Delilah can't have fish or fish oil but can eat anything else. They used to share the kibble drop feeder. But the food they were sharing was too many calories Delilah, and has peas which we're trying to eliminate for Fancy. Balancing their diets is giving me a headache.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy can only have rabbit. Delilah can't have fish or fish oil but can eat anything else. They used to share the kibble drop feeder. But the food they were sharing was too many calories Delilah, and has peas which we're trying to eliminate for Fancy. Balancing their diets is giving me a headache.
I know, it can be so hard to try to figure things out for two, both for diet and for eating habits. Our feeder is out for delivery! Ireland was ravenously hungry this morning, wanting lots of snacks and making me hope all the more that she can learn the feeder.

Good luck with your cats' diets.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ladytimedramon ladytimedramon , the feeder arrived, I set it up, and she's already eaten a little food out of the bowl. Her microchip opens the feeder, which is quiet and she doesn't seem afraid of it. Now to get her to understand that if she walks up to it, she will open it. I'm very encouraged, though, that she approached it in the first place and then wasn't afraid to stick her little head inside to eat!