OVERWEIGHT?

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is 8 months old and weighs 11 pds.. he is a domestic gray and white male, who has also been nuetered. Is he overweight and should i cut down his food portions. he eats wet and dry food. If I'm to cut his food portions down how do you do that with out him losing weight too fast and getting sick... currently he gets 3oz at 4:30am, then 3oz at 8:30 before going to work, then 3 oz at 6pm (this is wet cat food) but I also keep out blue buffalo kitten to snack on.. I hope someone can give me some help. is this all too much? and if it is what should I take away out of what I have described..

Thanks guys :)

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi :wavey:

Just knowing how old Cynder is, I really doubt he's overweight. Have you asked your vet about it?

At 8 months he should still be growing some; cats are technically kittens until they're a year old. Vets generally recommend free-feeding kittens while they're still growing. I wouldn't worry about his weight until he gets past being a kitten.

Also, whether or not he's overweight as an adult will depend on how long and tall he gets. My Kramer is fully grown, but he's on the small side of normal, so he weighs a healthy 9 lbs for his size. Other cats can weigh 15 lbs or more and still be healthy. It just depends on how big he grows.

If you want to reassure yourself, here's a body condition scoring chart that can help you determine if Cynder's overweight. http://vet.osu.edu/vmc/body-condition-scoring-chart Look at Cynder from the top when he's standing up and match it to the right phase of the chart.

Hope that helps :wavey:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you for getting back to me soo fast lol.. he is not a huge cat,bout medium size,but when i look at him from the top,he looks in good condition.. he is a very solid cat or so it seems,but we got a scale the other day and for giggles i weighed him and he is 11 pounds. i just thought that might be tooo big for a 8 month old male. i forgot to mention he is also an indoor kitty..

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't be too overly concerned about it.  He's still a kitten and has a lot of growing to do!  At about 8 mos, I started transitioning my kitty from kitten food to adult food/kitten food combo.  My Tumbles was always "heavy" for his age when I took him to the vet for his follow up kitten shots, spay, and one-year checkup, but he's not overweight at all.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether or not he is overweight depends on his body condition more than his weight... Some cats could weigh 15 pounds and not be overweight, others could weigh 8 pounds and be overweight. So we can't really tell by his weight. Your vet should be able to tell you whether he is overweight, but as others said he is still growing at his age so it's most likely he is not overweight but if you're worried ask your vet.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
On the other hand, our boy was quite heavy at 8 months, and I thought he was overweight, but kept hearing "kittens can't be overweight!", but when he went in for his 1 year check-up, he weighed 16 lbs and the Vet said he needed to lose 4 lbs!!!!  So...I wished I had cut back on his food earlier.

But what everyone says is true...you cannot judge just by weight.  It's just like with humans.  I weigh 96 lbs, but does that tell you anything?  It all depends on how tall I am, my bone structure, etc.!  Does he have an obvious "waist"?  That's a good clue.  If there is no indentation anywhere when you look down at him, then he might be overweight, but then again, depending on his fur, sometimes it's very hard to tell
.  Best bet, ask your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has a definate waist thats for sure. i think im just over worrying like i always do, but thankyou for all your help!!!!!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are like people - how much they need to eat to maintain a healthy weight varies.  And yes, it's really hard when different cats in the same household need different amounts!  Max was rather overweight but getting the back garden cat-proof so they go out has reduced him a bit though he could do with losing a little bit more and it's very obvious as his coat is like shiny black lycra - very short, shiny & close-fitting.

Of course there are two sides to it - not just input (food) but output, and I don't mean in her litter tray!  If she is a rather sedentary cat playing with her or finding toys she will play with of her own accord will help.  It was more exercise that has reduced Max a little.  What mine adore at present are pipe cleaners, sold as fuzzy stocks for children to play with.  They seem to think they are some sort of thin snake that needs killing!