Overweight cat?

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I have an 8 month old tuxedo cat who I adopted a few months ago. He is getting to be a big boy- about 10 lbs now! He’s very long and solid. Anyone who meets him is shocked he’s under a year old.

My question is, is he too big? I feed him a 3oz can of Fancy Feast twice per day and leave out a small bowl of dry food (Wellness) which he grazes on. Never finishes it in a day. I don’t want him to be at an unhealthy weight, but I also don’t think I’m over feeding him. He’s very energetic and I play with him all the time. His litterbox habits are fine. Should I be changing anything or do you think he’s just naturally a big guy?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're concerned, eliminate the dry food and stick to only wet food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What does your vet say? If the vet says your cat is at a healthy weight, there's your answer :) Like people, cats have different weights. One 8 month old cat might weigh 10 lbs while other may weigh only 7 lbs. The most important thing is that your cat is healthy.

You should consider switching the diet over the next few months as he gets closer to adult hood at 1 year. No dry food and only canned food is best. Fancy Feast pates are fine with the occasional gravy variety but those little 3 oz can add up in cost over time. You may want to look into a brand that has 5.5 oz cans available and just split the can up for meals. No point in feeding dry food if the cat doesn't eat it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't really overfeed a cat under a year old. I would worry about it then and go by how he looks. When you stand over him can you see a 'waist'? When you firmly feel along his sides, can you feel his ribs by pressing in? if you can do both of those, he is fine, he just may be a big cat. They have many grain-free and mostly grain-free weight management dry food out too now. I give my cats Purina Pro and Blue Buffalo. We have to, because we never get to vacation, but leave overnight at times.