Overweight Cat Scratching Her Tummy

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I’m hoping for some ideas on how to help my cat. I have three cats—one is a feral cat that we took in almost two years ago. Still not exactly friends with me or my husband but he likes the two girl cats and seems comfortable in this environment. Sometimes I hear a hiss overnight that I think the girls get scared when the feral is suddenly right by them. Otherwise I think everyone is doing fine.

Here is the problem—my one girl cat named Tigger is overweight. That’s a whole other problem that I’m struggling with since we have three cats. But over the last couple months, I notice that she’s trying to lick her chest more and while she does that, she is rubbing the lower tummy area of her body with her front paws. I trim her claws but that area is still getting scratched and kind of raw looking. I don’t know if she’s trying to hang on while she licks her chest or if this is a nervous habit because of having the feral?

I started using the feliway diffusers to see if that will help with any stress. It’s only been about four days but I don’t think it’s helping so far.

Has anyone else ever had something like this happen or have an idea of what I can do to stop this? I’m not sure what’s really wrong. I don’t know if it’s possible to put a bandage on that area? I don’t want to have her declawed. It’s almost like I need to put gloves on her paws to stop the scratching. I’m lost what to do for her.

Thanks for any feedback.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. My Feeby, who is overweight, does exactly what you are describing when trying to clean her chest/belly area. It is from being overweight - that is all it is, at least in Feeby's case.

As far as the claws, I would guess they need to be trimmed more often and kept as short as is possible, to prevent so much scratching and irritation of her skin. They also have claw covers that a vet/vet technician can put on her front claws to stop her from being able to scratch that area so much. I have never tried them, but I understand they are not painful to put on or wear, and last about 3 weeks before they would need to replaced.

You might want to try brushing her daily, including the area she is grooming and irritating with her claws as that might help reduce the need for her to try to overgroom that area.

And, lastly, buy grocery store chamomile tea bags (not English, and no additives), brew in water, cool the liquid, and apply it with cotton balls to the irritated area. It has both soothing and healing properties.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

LOL FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and I were typing at the same time :) so there's duplication...

There are claw caps, and they might help here - they're glued on and . Your vet, or videos, can help with that.

Also there are a lot of other calming products available, but there's one you could try that would help with both her stress and her itchiness.

Chamomile tea brewed from the little bags (not loose leaf), cooled and then applied with a cotton ball or similar to any area she's scratching. It is anti bacterial, anti fungal, will help ease the itch and is safe for her to ingest.

Speaking of that, if she will allow it, syringe 1-3 teaspoons into her mouth, slowly with time for swallowing (there are videos for how to syringe "feed" a cat as well) a couple times a day. It is calming, but doesn't drug your kitty in any way.

Are you feeding canned food? Often, yes, a trigger for stress is other animals, but sometimes a food change can help skin conditions. Canned food, since it has more moisture can help in multiple ways, one being that the increased moisture helps a cat to feel more full on less calories, and those calories are less carb loaded than kibble.

Also, can you get her to be more active? That will help with the weight issue too.

7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I started using the feliway diffusers to see if that will help with any stress. It’s only been about four days but I don’t think it’s helping so far.
It can take weeks for Feliway to have any effect on your cats. They are all different. Some it's a few days and others can be 2-3 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you all for the wonderful feedback. I feed her canned food but she does eat dry too--I leave a small amount of dry food out which she'll nibble on during the day. The problem is the feral cat seems mostly comfortable in his room during the day and that's where he mainly sleeps. He has food and water in his room as well that the girl cats will also go in there to eat. The feral seems to mostly eat dry food. This is a struggle trying to figure out how to handle this especially since Tigger is so chubby. Maybe the best thing is to try and get them completely off dry food?

Tigger definitely isn’t very active and I really do need to try and push her to play more. She won’t really move much to try and chase a ball or laser light or even a toy on a string—kind of stays in the same place. But one toy she did seem to be more active with is a toy that is battery operated. It has a plastic type material cover and a toy feather that spins underneath it—that she likes but then she would sit on it and it would stop or she would get her claws hooked on the cover. It’s still the most activity she’ll get when I do use that. I’ll have to try and use that every day with her.

I’ll keep using the feliway to see if that helps her too and will get some chamomile tea. I’ll also try and brush her more often to see if that can help as well. Maybe I can try these ideas along with trying to get her more active and see if that helps before looking into the claw covers.

Thank you again for all the helpful feedback.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're sending you all the positive vibes we have :) let us know how things go :vibes::goodluck: :redheartpump:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
It can take weeks for Feliway to have any effect on your cats. They are all different. Some it's a few days and others can be 2-3 weeks.
I forgot to mention, Feliway diffusers are only good for a small area. I believe the box says 250 sq ft? So if you have a multi-level house, you should have a minimum of one per level for them to actually have any effect. If you have just one in a living room, and they spend all their time upstairs in a bedroom then it is literally doing nothing for that specific cat.

It's easier to get the calming collars which are with the cat at all times, however I have read bad things about them... cats getting caught and hurting their necks or mouths as they don't have a break-away component and also staining fur/skin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just saw your new post - so I'll insert my answer here before the rest of the post I was typing (see below). Most chamomile tea bags in grocery stores are German, not English. But, I do think the one you mentioned is in fact English. Your best bet is to do an internet search for: German chamomile tea bags - a whole list of brands will show up and you can determine which ones are available in your area stores.

I have your problem with Feeby. She is a dry food grazer during the day, and eats 1/3 canned food for dinner. The only thing I have tried with her is to just leave out a little less dry for her to graze on and that has helped some. She is also a crummy toy-player. She prefers strings/ribbons that she can attempt to grab/bite - while laying on her back!! Talk about lazy!

You can try some wet with your feral to see if he will eat it - even mixing just a tiny bit of wet with the dry at first as a test. Then more wet, less dry. He is a free grazer as well? If not, it might be easier to transition him to wet.

It sounds like he eats by himself mostly. How does he handle the girls coming in there to eat? The girls also have a food station of their own? I wasn't sure about this. It might work better if there were a way for you to feed all of them together, away from the room he confines himself to all the time. That would help control the food better for all, and make him at least venture out to eat.

Just in case there might be some tips that you haven't already tried with your feral and cat introductions, take a look at these TCS articles. Some of this is likely not to apply, but maybe there are other parts that would be helpful.

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . Out of curiosity, you say not English camomile. I have Twinings Pure Camomile. It states no other ingredients. Is this suitable?
Oops, didn't see it was you that posted this - so, I responded to the OP. Sorry about that.

As I said: Most chamomile tea bags in grocery stores are German, not English. But, I do think the one you mentioned is in fact English. Your best bet is to do an internet search for: German chamomile tea bags - a whole list of brands will show up and you can determine which ones are available in your area stores.

Roman Vs. German Chamomile – Learn About Different Types Of Chamomile

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks@FeebysOwner. Twinings was the only one sold in the largest supermarket I went to. It looks as if I will have to go on a hunt. In the meantime I will have to drink this one myself. At least I will he calm whilst searching. Thanks for information.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks@FeebysOwner. Twinings was the only one sold in the largest supermarket I went to. It looks as if I will have to go on a hunt. In the meantime I will have to drink this one myself. At least I will he calm whilst searching. Thanks for information.
Well, it might take more than just the search I suggested. For example, I did both searches (English vs German) and much to my dismay I found a few brands listed on both - one of which I was buying (but, haven't yet used on Feeby). Crap!!

Edited: maybe this will help more:

Pure Chamomile Tea Reviews

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it might take more than just the search I suggested. For example, I did both searches (English vs German) and much to my dismay I found a few brands listed on both - one of which I was buying (but, haven't yet used on Feeby). Crap!!

Edited: maybe this will help more:

Pure Chamomile Tea Reviews
Why is nothing simple!!!!

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the additional information—I’ll look this over. Bob, the feral, has food in his room and the girls do have a separate feeding area in the kitchen—although everything is open that Bob could eat their food (but I don’t think he does) and the girls for sure do eat Bob’s food. Bob mostly sleeps during the day in his room and seems to only venture out later in the afternoon and at night. Of course he won’t come in the rooms where me and my husband are but will go in the other rooms. He likes the girl cats and it seems like he will save his food for them. He makes the cutest noises when he sees them.

Bob use to eat more canned food but then the girls started going in by him more and eating his food—then it was like he was saving it for them. I don’t know if I’m nuts but it sure seems that way and that he’s trying to be nice to them. He’ll eat his dry food but he seems to wait and only eats later in the day now—again seems to leave it more for the girls first. I wonder if I should pick up the dry food in Bob’s room during the day and just put it out at night for now to at least cut back on how much the girls eat? I could try mixing in dry with wet food and try to get Bob to eat more canned again. It would be better if I could just have one eating station but I’m worried if Bob would come out to eat and the girls would just eat everything. or maybe the girls could get use to only going in by Bob for food? Not sure how to handle that. Bob is actually getting pretty chubby because he’s not moving around enough. He does play but it would be better if he ran around the house more.

Regarding the feliway diffuser, our house is pretty small (under 1,000 square feet) and only one floor. I have it plugged in the hallway that’s right in the middle of the house. Maybe I should plug in another one? Or is one enough?

Regarding the chamomile tea, I should be sure to use the German kind for Tigger? The English one would be dangerous for her? I’ll have to do some research to find where I can locate some.

Thanks again for all the wonderful help!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Bob is getting chubby, maybe it would be a good idea to remove his dry until night time (and/or, maybe even some wet?). Just didn't want to see him without food, but you make it sound like that is not likely to be a problem. And, I wasn't sure if that is the only interaction he has with his semi-buddy girls - wouldn't want to screw that up either.

German only for chamomile tea bags. But, if you read the above articles, depending on where you are located, it sounds like that is typically the kind that is sold in most grocery stores - at least in the US.

Never used Feliway - so hoping some of the other members can tell you about how many you might need.

Good luck with it all, and by all means keep giving us updates!! We love them! Oh, yeah - not to mention pictures!!

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I will do that and pick Bob’s food up during the day since he doesn’t eat until later anyways and that will save the girls from eating so much extra.

I’ll have to go to the store tomorrow to see if I can find some chamomile tea to use on Tigger. I’ll keep you updated on how things are going. I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

Thank you!!!

dbcatperson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question. I was wondering what you guys thought of using an Elizabethan collar on Tigger to try and help her right now to stop scratching on the sore tummy area? Like I said she seems to scratch that area while she’s licking on her chest—I was wondering if putting a collar on her could try and stop her from licking which hopefully would stop the scratching? I don’t know if that would be a good idea to try right now? Or is there a downside to this?