Overweight cat, new cat owner

gabriellalaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here, and also new to cat life. I adopted Jade about two weeks ago, she is a rescue and upon taking her to the vet we discovered that, 1, she is overweight (she is twelve lbs but should be around nine) and 2, that she has a rotten tooth and must get it removed.

Jade warmed up quite quickly to us; she isn't a cuddly feline, but does hop on the couch with us and let us pet her often. That WAS the case until her recent vet trip to get her tooth removed. Ever since that appointment, she has been spending almost all day under the bed, and has become even more lazy than before.

I need advice. How can I coax her from under the bed? I feel like she is slightly traumatized and also scared of us. The other problem with her staying under the bed all day is I cannot initiate any form of play. What should I do? We bought a scratching post prior to adoption and she hadn't touched it. How can we get her to use it? I would appreciate any and all advice!

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, thanks for adopting an adult kitty - I’m sure Jade appreciates you adopting her too.

How long ago was her trip to the vet? I know my one cat can be quite stand-offish for a few days after visiting the veterinarian. Is Jade still is eating, using the litter box, etc?

Did the vet provide any direction on her weight loss? My understanding is weight loss should be limited to 1-2% of current body weight per week. What food are you currently feeding Jade? Wet food is generally preferred over dry food due to its moisture content and lower calorie content. Cats are prone to kidney disease in their older years and feeding a diet higher in moisture is thought to be beneficial. In addition, dry food is highly caloric so it can be difficult to provide satiety and weight loss.

Since you said Jade should be about 9lbs, she would need about 250-300 calories per day. The can or bag of food should give a calorie content. Figure out how much you should feed by dividing 250 by the caloric content. For example: Can of food contains 99 cal/can thus 250/99 = 2.5 cans per day.

As far as the scratching post is concerned, my cats like tall (36 inch) posts and I place them by the couch as that’s were they would want to scratch. Some cats like carpet covered and others like sisal covered. I think most scratching post failures are due to the post being too short and wobbly.

Also, would love to see a picture of Jade!

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Jade has been through a lot in such a short period of time, and the vet visit was the 'last straw' for her. Plus, you need to make sure she is not in any pain from the tooth extraction, as that could also affect her desire to hide, not to mention a little less interesting in eating/drinking. Postpone your concerns about play and a diet until you can get her feeling more secure in your home and with you.

Sitting on the floor in the room where she is hiding, softly reading books out loud to her or even singing, can help to make her feel more relaxed again. Playing soft music might be another option. Don't force her to come out, and at this stage even try some treats just to 'make friends' with her again. Make sure she has food (soft food until she heals) and water very nearby (and, a litter box too), so she doesn't have to go far to get to them.

Here is an article on other ideas for trying to deal with a shy cat - right now, she kind of qualifies for that category until you build up her confidence again. And, I included another article about being a new cat owner, just in case it might have some information in it for you.
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – Cat Articles
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabriellalaws

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, thanks for adopting an adult kitty - I’m sure Jade appreciates you adopting her too.

How long ago was her trip to the vet? I know my one cat can be quite stand-offish for a few days after visiting the veterinarian. Is Jade still is eating, using the litter box, etc?

Did the vet provide any direction on her weight loss? My understanding is weight loss should be limited to 1-2% of current body weight per week. What food are you currently feeding Jade? Wet food is generally preferred over dry food due to its moisture content and lower calorie content. Cats are prone to kidney disease in their older years and feeding a diet higher in moisture is thought to be beneficial. In addition, dry food is highly caloric so it can be difficult to provide satiety and weight loss.

Since you said Jade should be about 9lbs, she would need about 250-300 calories per day. The can or bag of food should give a calorie content. Figure out how much you should feed by dividing 250 by the caloric content. For example: Can of food contains 99 cal/can thus 250/99 = 2.5 cans per day.

As far as the scratching post is concerned, my cats like tall (36 inch) posts and I place them by the couch as that’s were they would want to scratch. Some cats like carpet covered and others like sisal covered. I think most scratching post failures are due to the post being too short and wobbly.

Also, would love to see a picture of Jade!
Thank you so much for the good advice!

Jade's vet trip was only four days ago, and since writing this post she has emerged from her hiding place to spend time with us and have a play session! She is so lazy though and only wants to play if she can just use her paws while laying on the couch :D

The vet didn't provide any specific advice. I'm currently feeding her Purina Pro Plan Weight Management wet food. I feed her by the suggested rations based on weight, I'm hoping using this diet food combined with at least a little bit of play a day would help.

Sigh, as for the scratching post, she still hasn't touched it although it is made of wood (her foster mom had told me prior to adoption that she loved to scratch wood), but I cannot complain; she's really not scratching anything. I might get her another material of scratcher.

Here's a photo of Jade! She's four years old. What does your cat(s) look like?
Jade.jpg

BlackCatOp

Black Cats Rule!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the good advice!

Jade's vet trip was only four days ago, and since writing this post she has emerged from her hiding place to spend time with us and have a play session! She is so lazy though and only wants to play if she can just use her paws while laying on the couch :D

The vet didn't provide any specific advice. I'm currently feeding her Purina Pro Plan Weight Management wet food. I feed her by the suggested rations based on weight, I'm hoping using this diet food combined with at least a little bit of play a day would help.

Sigh, as for the scratching post, she still hasn't touched it although it is made of wood (her foster mom had told me prior to adoption that she loved to scratch wood), but I cannot complain; she's really not scratching anything. I might get her another material of scratcher.

Here's a photo of Jade! She's four years old. What does your cat(s) look like?
View attachment 327240
Glad she is doing better! She’s a beautiful tabby! I have three spoiled black cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

You don't need any weight specific food. The key is to feed the appropriate amount of calories daily, roughly 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. A 12 lb cat should eat around 240 to 300 calories daily to maintain weight. To reach the ideal 9 lbs, you would need to slowly decrease the calories over time to around 180 to 225 calories daily. Calorie reduction needs to be done over time, a few weeks at least, to avoid fatty liver disease.

The Purina Pro Plan Weight Management is 79 calories per 3 oz can. To maintain the current 12 lbs, you need to feed about three and a half of those 3 oz cans daily. The ingredients aren't that great either. It might be easier on the wallet to feed a healthier brand of food that is available in a 5.5 oz can.

Since your cat is still slowly settling in, I'd put the weight loss plan on the "future to do" list. Let your cat settle in at her pace. For shy cats, this may take a couple weeks or more. Adding a food change may just add to her stress.