Overnight Extreme Fear Of Bed

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Main problem: He’s acting like being on the bed, that I’ve had his whole life, is going to kill him or something. Flailing, flinching, crying. Was a sudden and extreme change.

I don’t know what’s going on. It’s been happening for about two weeks. He’s a little over one year old, his name is Prior. It wasn’t exactly the bed at first, more like the whole room. He was totally fine, we’ve lived here for almost four months. I live with other people so this is our room. He runs all over the house in the day, though he naps in here on the bed (it’s next to his favorite window,) then he stays in our room with me at night with the door closed. Then one morning, it’s like BAM! Fear!! I can pinpoint the exact second that it happened. After that he would hardly even come in here, he’d have to crouch down as low as possible, walk as slow and cautious as possible, and sniff everything. He’d lightly paw at some stuff too. Even the slightest sound or movement would give him these full body flinches. At one point I picked him up sleeping in the kitchen (he’s a heavy sleeper) and the moment we crossed the threshold into our room, he flailed so hard that I have three massive scratches all down my forearm. My baby is always insanely gentle with me. So he was scared out of his bloody mind.
He’s been getting better about it, I left him in here for several hours while I was at work, and I did that for two days. It seemed to help. Now he’s coming in here on his own, it doesn’t take him 10 minutes to walk over to the food bowl. He’s still jumpy, but not quite as bad. I tried Feliway, but couldn’t tell any difference at all. I’ve still been using it, but that’s mostly just because I paid for it.
He started sleeping on the other pillow next to me, it’s in corner against the wall. It’s like his new safe spot. He still isn’t fond of the floor. He avoids it if he can, instead jumping from the bed to the desk.
Then last night, around 3:30AM, he wakes me up by practically screaming, then flailing, flinging his body onto mine in a mad dash to escape absolutely nothing. He managed to fly himself to the desk chair, then stared at the bed as if Freddy Krueger himself had tried to yank him into the mattress. It was insane.
I tried to put him back on the bed, but he reacted the same each time. I tried snuggling him and going over to the bed, but he’d only barely been able to contain his flail so he wouldn’t hurt me before I was able to let him go. He woke me up again around 5, he was playing with my computer keyboard, because he still hates the floor, and I tried again. There was no change. It’s 9:30 now, and he won’t even step foot on the bed, not even to look out his favorite window.
Our other cat, his twin sister, Hazel, doesn’t have even a slight issue being in here. As to help rule stuff out, the two of them have a great relationship, only play fights, they snuggle a lot during the day, they’ve always been free to go between one another’s rooms during the day. Nothing has changed between them, whatever is happening isn’t because of any weird cat territory thing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you explain the living situation? Does this kitten need to be in the room he is afraid of, or is this just your preference. I have found there is no way to force a frightened cat to overcome there fear. You just need to respect it and give them the option to be as far away from it as they feel,they need to. Some times over time they may resolve it,but other times they may always be fearful of whatever they find scary.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Echoing susanm9006 susanm9006 's questions and comments. Did you have the carpet cleaned in that room? New or newly washed bedspread? Air fresheners, candles, lighting changes? Something happened/changed in that room that is still freaking him out, and ideally if you can find out what, you can correct the situation.

In the meantime, it would be better if he isn't forced into that room if at all possible. Whatever it is - if it can't be identified and corrected- is something that he needs to get over in his own way/time. Making him stay in there is probably going to lengthen the amount of time needed for him to get past whatever it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, he does have to stay in here at night. But honestly he’s loved this room since we moved here. The door is open now and he’s still sleeping on his favorite desk chair because he likes being in here. He just doesn’t want to be on the floor or on the bed. He sits on the desk a lot too. Since this morning I’ve gotten him to go back to his window, but he won’t venture any further than that. Otherwise he gets all flinchy and panicked. He was sleeping on the bed with me just last night, rolling around and rubbing his face on it. Now he won’t go near it, it’s been less than 12 hours since the fear of the bed started. A few weeks ago he did start peeing in this one corner of the room. Opposite the bed. He wasn’t peeing on the floor, only on my clothes if I put them there. Since I stopped leaving them there he hasn’t peed on anything again. That was his only other behavioral thing. I haven’t changed anything in the room at all. Before, about a week ago, when he was doing his cautious walk of the floor all the time, I vacuumed, then changed the sheets and the comforter on the bed, but it didn’t make a difference. He was still twitchy. But I thought he was finally getting over it until last night. He’s about 1 year and 4 months old, I got him when he was 6 months old. He’s never done anything like this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know if it is feasible but could you construct an off-the-ground pathway he could use to get to those areas in that room he is OK with? Or, would he walk on rugs if they covered the flooring for a pathway? If so, perhaps letting him come and go via the pathway would eventually get him back to using other parts of the room over time. I'd say forget about resolving the bed issue for right now.

If he has to eat/drink in that room, rugs underneath the bowls (as part of the 'pathway' around the room) might help - maybe even the litterbox too?

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe, I’ve got some of those small amazon boxes in the closet. I could stick them together for a little walkway, do you think that’d work? Or I could lay out some cushions? He really likes these ones we have on the chairs in the kitchen.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe, I’ve got some of those small amazon boxes in the closet. I could stick them together for a little walkway, do you think that’d work? Or I could lay out some cushions? He really likes these ones we have on the chairs in the kitchen.
Either would be worth trying! If it is needed, you might want to find a way to weigh down the boxes so they don't move too much with any jumping he might do from/to them. The cushions would probably have to be affixed to one another for the same reason.

Please keep us posted with whatever you try!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he stepped on an insect and it stung him. Rather than associating the pain with the insect, he blames the floor. I'm not sure how the bed would fit into this theory though.

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks!! I’ll try that tonight and let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.

I can check the floor for something pointy, but I don’t think there are any bugs in here, the freezing weather has kind of killed them all off. Also I might die if I knew a bug was on the bed that close to my face xD Prior usually sleeps inches from me at night. I hate bugs.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right, checking the floor for something pointy. Yes, I know this one. Use a flashlight and do it in small sections with slight over laps. What you are looking for is pins, needles, splinters, nail heads protruding upward (they can work their way up over time, just hammered one back down in the bathroom this morning.)

Didn't think of this before because my mind went BUGS!!!! Yes, I'm right there with you. But remember you've changed the sheets since this happened. (Feel better? I would.)

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s a good idea, I’ll look around. If that’s what happened do you think he’ll get over it soon? Or I could get a new rug or something. I think he might’ve just had a nightmare on the bed last night. Don’t know what else it’d be, since we were both asleep. He’s a heavy sleeper, but he’s always kind of twitched in his sleep, I think he dreams a lot.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never been sure about the dreaming thing with cats, but I just looked it up and it appears they do dream! And, the study I read says they can dream about past events - maybe whatever "got him" on the floor, he was dreaming about it while on the bed???

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha that’s a good theory! I only just figured he dreams because he’s always moving around after about an hour or so after falling a sleep. Kind of like REM sleep. Neat to know they have studies on it, and the past events thing. I had no idea.
I’ll check the floor, then vacuum it again and lay out a little path to the food and litter box with his favorite cushions. Fingers crossed.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You say he peed on some clothes. It could be he's developing a UTI and is in pain and afraid of the pain. I realize this all sounds behavioral but I'd take him to the vet to rule it out. Be very watchful and make sure he's peeing normally. Male cats can get blocked and it becomes fatal. If you ever notice he is straining to pee, is peeing only little bits or is not able to to pee at all that's an emergency.

If there is no medical reason then something must've happened. Is your room on the first floor? Could he have been spooked by something out the window- an animal or fire truck rushing past?

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not much to report, alas he wasn’t interested in the cushion walkway. I put him on it and he seemed flinchy at first, then I petted him a bit and he warmed up right away, rolled around a lot, but he didn’t go back on his own. He seems to have slightly gotten over the fear of the bed. He’s okay on the end of the bed, by his window. He loves that window so much, I think he pushed past his fear so that he could be near it. I was able to get him to sit near the front of the bed, but not for too long. He went to his desk chair and then the edge of the bed at the window. The food bowl is on the floor by the window, and he didn’t have any trouble jumping down to it. But he’s still not interested in the floor leading to the bowl, or the front end of the bed. I am on the first floor, I live outside the city, we do get foxes and things, I’ve even seen a wolf once. But he’s still in love with looking outside.
Oh, about the peeing thing, sorry I guess I forgot to mention that I did take him to the vet for that. No UTIs. The vet said to try moving my clothes from his ‘hotspots’ and that seemed to work.
I’ll watch him more, but I have to go to work right now.

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, he’s still doing his little slow cautious walk through the room, he’s just walking around the walkway I made him. I tried to carry him towards the bed while he was all sleepy, but as soon as I sat down at the front of the bed he woke up and started whining. I let him go immediately and he practically flung himself to the end of the bed. He sat there for a while, but I still have no idea why he’d be afraid of the front of the bed. It’s so bizarre. I thought he’d just had a nightmare while he was sleeping over here, but would that really affect him so much? And there’s definitely nothing sharp on the bed.
I don’t really know to do about it. There’s got to be some kind of reason. The vet had mentioned putting him on Prozac when I was there for the potential UTI. Could it be some kind of mental illness? I can take him back to the vet, I’m just a little tight for money at the moment. There’s a really good Veterinary University nearby too. I know I can’t force him to get over his mystery fear, but this is our room, and I do work from home somewhat often, it breaks my heart that he’d not want to spend any of the day with me while I’m stuck home working or just watching Netflix or something. He hasn’t shown any signs of this outside of our room.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are trying to hard to help him. Don’t carry him into the room, don’t pick him up at all. This just makes a anxious cat more anxious. Just pretend he is acting perfectly normally and give him petting only when he comes to you.

River1225

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can do that, I just don’t want him to think it’s alright to do this forever. I didn’t pressure him at all for a week when his fear of the floor started, but I still had to bring him in here at night. Then I went out of town for four days last week, my housemates said he never so much as set foot in here in the entire time. He doesn’t let them pick him up, and for whatever reason they only fed him in the other bedroom where his sister sleeps. I think if it were up to him he’d just sleep in the kitchen every night. I thought he’d be over it by the time I got home from my business trip. But he doesn’t seem to be making progress on his own.
In less than a month I’m leaving for Russia for a few weeks, I don’t want him to decided to live in the other room and become my mate’s cat while I’m gone.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately he has to get over his fear on his own timetable. Maybe that is days or maybe that is weeks. If he is happier not being In that room that would be the best option. That isn’t him deciding to be someone else’s cat as much as avoid something that terrifies him. Giving him this option may in fact speed up his recovery by not forcing him to be fearful every day.