Overly demanding elderly cat - constant meowing

becksmycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have two cats, both approximately 16 years old and the male cat has been gradually getting more and more demanding, to the point that he is driving me potty. This has been a gradual change, but after several months of lockdown, with me always being home seems to have exacerbated things.

When he wants something (attention, to sit on my lap, fresh food, to be let out in the garden) he will meow insistently until he gets it. This happens during the night as well, and he will often begin as early as 4am and he just won't let up. Sometimes I will give him fresh biscuits and 10 minutes later he seems to have forgotten and wants more, or something else. Sometimes I just can't figure out exactly what he wants.

This may sound over dramatic, but it is actually wearing me down. I've tried shutting him out of my bedroom at night, but I he still wakes me outside the door and it's a problem during video meetings at work.

I am wondering if because of his age he is getting a bit senile. He is due a checkup at the vets but in the UK, we are just emerging from lockdown, and veterinary treatment has been restricted to emergencies. He does have problems with arthritis, but I feel his behaviour is more about getting attention from me.

I suspect there isn't a solution, but any advice anyone has would be welcome as I haven't been able to find much online.

Thank you

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Incessant meowing is one of the classic hallmarks of dementia. Yours does sound like it is occurring at specific times with specific triggers, so there is hope it is garden variety attention seeking as you mentioned. Still, a sudden excessive meowing issue at age 16 is just sort of highly likely to be dementia regardless. Moreover, in dementia, increased attention seeking at different & inappropriate times is part and parcel of it -- as a cat's mental status gets confused, they lose track of when its time to eat, when its time to sleep, and seek attention more often & at inappropriate times. Here is a very good article that helps you understand where your at and what you should do about it:

Older Cats with Behavior Problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

becksmycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, that article was very helpful. My plan B is ear plugs! :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hate to see you shut him out of your room. These older cats get very upset by any change in routine. Demanding additional attention or night time meowing or howling Is very common in older cats. Perhaps you can try a timed feeder that would dole him out some kibble every so often in the morning. And I would leave a light on or install night lights in your room and elsewhere in your house. Their vision also declines as they age and sometimes they get disoriented and frightened in the dark.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 's comments and suggestions. This cat is too old to be treated as if you are trying to train a younger cat to not do something. First, just as the article above mentions, is to get him in for a geriatric check up when you can, to make sure there isn't something besides dementia causing the behavior changes.

In the meantime, think of how you would approach an older close relative living with you that was starting to show signs of dementia - if they called out to you in the middle of the night, would you put ear plugs in and ignore them? Or, would you find things that might help console them and make them more peaceful. You have to look at your cat the same way - you know over his lifetime the things that you've done in the past to help when he was bothered by something. Also, it is possible that the arthritis is acting up more and contributing to his behavior - does he take anything for it? If so, can the dosage be increased, or another arthritis medication added to his regimen?

Here is another article about cat aging that might be helpful too.
What To Expect As Your Cat Ages

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats absolutely become senile. I had a rescue that reached 20. She would get these random fits where she would wake up and not remember where she was, so she'd run around the room crying.

She also wanted to be with me constantly. I was a source of comfort to her, probably because she knew she had dementia and she wanted me there when she had an attack.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is probably hyperthyroidism, a very common disease of elderly cats and yields those symptoms.