Overly Affectionate Biting Cat

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I posted about a month ago about some new 6 year old kitties that I had adopted. Luna and Spock... Both sweet kitties with very different personalities.

Luna is the more timid one who likes to spend time with us but only on her terms. I definitely feel a little partial to this kitty because in a way she reminds me of myself hah... I love when she comes to me for pets though because it lets me know that she does trust me.

Spock is the more outgoing one who demands pets 24/7. If I go anywhere in the apartment, he is attached to me and wants to know what I am doing at all hours. If I am in a room with a closed door, he will be outside yowling until I come back out again. Very silly.

The one behavior that I am not too fond of in Spock is that he tends to bite. My fiance thinks it is a sign of affection because Spock does it while purring and when I am brushing or petting him. He mainly bites me but not so much my fiance. Not sure why that is. And when he bites, it's my fingers. So far no blood as they are usually pretty light bites but there are times when he has bitten pretty hard.

I am actually typing this on my phone right now and he came up and started biting my fingers haha... But not hard. Maybe it is an attention seeking thing? I am not sure. I also will point out that he never bites his sister. He actually grooms her when she walks by or when they are laying together somewhere.

Anyone experience an overly affectionate biting kitty?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s kind of an emotion overload thing, but yes out of affection. Every time he comes near your fingers you need to be assertive in letting him know this biting is not okay. A very firm “no biting” and a gentle push away, every single time should do it.

My current girl is the most timid, well behaved, gentle cat ever. But she loves blue jeans and if I am sitting with me feet up she goes under my legs and rubs herself on my jeans. After a few minutes of this, though, she gets herself wound up and will give me a nip in my calf. So now when she goes under I tell her no biting right away and always put my feet down after a minute so she isn’t tempted.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be love bites.
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

But if it is harder bites, you need to let him know he is hurting you. When he bites, say "owwwwww" in a high-pitched, cat-like tone. That is how another cat lets it be known they are hurting them. Also, say "no" when he bites. And try distracting him with a toy, or something else he can play with.

Here's another article that might apply: How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

And, though unlikely, possibly this one too: Cat Aggression Toward People

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Juniper is also a sweet, gentle cat with a skittish side, and she will give little 'love bites' when we pet her if we do it for too long. She also purrs when she does it and seems to be enjoying herself, and she never bites hard, so although I encourage her to stop, I don't think it's aggression of any kind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could be love bites.
How To Deal With Cat "love Bites"?

But if it is harder bites, you need to let him know he is hurting you. When he bites, say "owwwwww" in a high-pitched, cat-like tone. That is how another cat lets it be known they are hurting them. Also, say "no" when he bites. And try distracting him with a toy, or something else he can play with.

Here's another article that might apply: How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

And, though unlikely, possibly this one too: Cat Aggression Toward People
Thanks for the articles! Especially the first one. After reading that I definitely think they are love bites now. My previous cat (RIP ❤) when she was a kitten would play rough and bite. This was mainly because my sister encouraged it. It took me a long time to break her of that habit when she was a young cat but afterward she never bit again.

Spock is a silly boy. He honestly makes me think of a dog more than a cat haha. He's a maine coone and I have heard that they can carry that type of disposition. So, yep, if he bites too hard then I will say owww more loudly so he can take a hint. I am sure he does not intend to hurt.

Thanks!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My fiance thinks it is a sign of affection because Spock does it while purring and when I am brushing or petting him.
I've had a few boys that did this. It's definitely a happy over stimulation reaction. I learned the double brush method. Brush him with one brush while holding the other at his nose so he can rub and bite it if he needs to. My Yoshi loves to chew on my legs after a shower. If I haven't shaved he's even happier. He has learned to bite gentler if I yell "OW"

PippasMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just found this thread and I hope it hasn't been so long that no one will reply. I have had my Pippa as an indoor cat since May 2018. She had been born a feral under neighbour's house but I took to feeding her and her family. She and I always had a good rapport and she would sit in my lap outdoors to eat her food so her brothers couldn't take it from her. This girl never even miaowed when living outdoors, however, as calico's do I read, she became very vocal after moving inside. After my darling Chili, 18 yrs old, passed on in July, Pippa kept coming to my door and wanting to stay with me so eventually I allowed her to and she has been the salve for my broken heart that I needed. All is well with us apart from when she cuddles with me if I don't mind my fingers she will bite! I can be stroking her fur gently and she will bite, hard! She tried to take a bite of my arm this morning! I say No Bites! sternly to her and put her onto the floor. Can anyone possibly say how long it took them to train their lovely cats to stop biting? She has been doing this for about three months now. I love to have her cuddling with me but I am forever having to put her onto the floor because my skin is thin and I can't tolerate the biting. I think she is only wanting to play because I know she loves me and I certainly love her back. This is our one problem and I hope maybe someone can at least say if I'm doing right and a roundabout time frame of when she might get the idea! She is a very clever girl..would have thought she would have caught on by now! Many thanks for your help >^..^<

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When she bites hiss at her. She may rear back and bound away, but that's okay. It's her way of stopping herself from biting you. It doesn't mean she's offended or frightened. The hiss will merely tell her she bit too hard, stop it. It uses the same language her litter mates and mother did.

PippasMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When she bites hiss at her. She may rear back and bound away, but that's okay. It's her way of stopping herself from biting you. It doesn't mean she's offended or frightened. The hiss will merely tell her she bit too hard, stop it. It uses the same language her litter mates and mother did.
What a clever idea! I've had cats all my life and this one never occurred to me! Thank you so much!

PippasMum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have been meaning to return and tell you - the hissing has worked a treat! The first time I did it, Pippa looked at me as though she was thinking "My God, this woman speaks 'Cat'! It truly took her off guard. But she did not run. Next day, she wanted to take another cheeky nip at me and I hissed again. She did pop up and leave this time but of course when she came back round, I was very loving to her as always. Several days go by and she did not try to nip at me again, however, eventually one day as she lay in my lap and me stroking her, she puts her mouth over my fingertip. She didn't bit but sat there as though she were thinking and then she kind of rolls her eyes up to see my facial expression then carefully removed her mouth from my finger! I am afraid I laughed so much that that scared her off but you would have to have seen her! She was actually thinking about what she was about to do and remembering it was not allowed! Too funny! So, we have had a couple of occasions since, only minor ones and I have given her a gentle hiss reminder but she is never biting hard as she used to and rarely even attempts it so this has been a very, very good piece of advice and I highly recommend it to others, particularly with new cats. If you've had one for a number of years, it may not work as well if at all because by then they already know whom is boss - they are! Many thanks again. x

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha-ha, what a good little girl!

It's been over six years for Sweet Gum and she still attacks my feet, but only when I'm wearing my fuzzy house shoe boots. They are black. She'll run over, start to attack, focus house shoe boots attack, black socks no attack.

Now, I do allow Sweet Gum love bites. Hers are different from other cats, of course. Others do a gentle nip. She puts her fangs on my arm and ratchets her head back and forth like a machine gun. Never breaking the skin, not even pinching.

Every day is a new adventure. The more you spread the word about the hissing stopping biting, it also works for scratching and other undesirable things, the fewer cats will end up back in the shelters. Three cheers for you and Pippa!!

Here are some butterflies to chase instead of feet. :butterfly: :purplebutterfly: :purplebutterfly: :butterfly: :butterfly: :purplebutterfly: