Overgrooming

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is overgrooming a spot on her stomach. This has happened before in the past but I'm wondering if it is possible she is sending that things are changing at our home. I could basically go into labor any second. She has been more clingy lately too. Anyways., any help is welcome.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!

Congratulations!!

Can you try classical harp music for your furbaby, and maybe something here?

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Sentry calming collar, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you! I'll look into those. In the meantime we got feliway diffuser and the natural pet spray.
I had to put a jacket on her because she has licked the spot raw. She is doing ok with it so far, we had to do that in the past too once before.
I appreciate the natural remedies you suggested because the last time she overgroomed the vet gave her shots and antibiotics and steroids and I honestly don't think they did anything to help.

Thank you again

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, by the way, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 has a chamomile tea remedy for itchy skin that can also be a calming aid, I'm quoting here;

I'm going to suggest chamomile tea, both internally and externally. Buy a box of plain, unblended chamomile tea from your grocery store. Brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. Divide into two separate containers, one for external, one for internal. Externally, use it as a wash on the area, applying very gently with a soft cloth. INTERNALLY, draw up three teaspoonfuls into a syring or medicine dropper and administer orally three times a day. If your cat is over 10-11 pounds, go up to three TABLESPOONFULS, three times a day.

Externally, chamomile is antibacterial and anti-fungal, as well as wonderfully soothing to pretty much ALL skin ouchies and surface wounds.

Internally, it is gently calming, without being sedating.

I recommend buying the tea bags because ALL commercial chamomile tea is made from German chamomile, which is medicinally active and is safe for cats in those dosages. ENGLISH chamomile is pretty useless medcinally, and is actually toxic to cats. Since the two look very much alike, buying the tea bags takes the guesswork out of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that article! It actually took a lot of my anxiety away! Thanks so much!